OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What Scope to put on my Remington 700 ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote playin2x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Scope to put on my Remington 700 ??
    Posted: December/26/2012 at 12:13
Hello,

I am obviously a newbie but I would like to learn more about what type of scope to put on my Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

Price Range:
- Anywhere between $700-$1200

The Purpose:
- Hunting deer
- Target shooting at the range -- minimum of 50 yards (what is a good magnification so my view isn't small?)

I was looking at SWFA SS 3-9x42 30mm Riflescope (though I am looking for a scope that is fully multi-coated on lens - this does not seem to be) URL is below:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx

Thank you for reading my post and I appreciate all responses. If I am missing any crucial information that you guys require to help me out please let me know. Again, Thank you for your time! Yippee
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 12:26
Welcome to The OT.

I think the 3-9x SS is the perfect choice, for your application. I have virtually the same set up and love it. 

I will say that the Mil Dot isn't the perfect hunting reticle, but it will work for 90% of hunting scenarios. 

Good shooting! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 12:31
What makes you say the SS is not fully multicoated?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 12:45
The SS has great glass for the money. The mil-dot in this particular scope is one I would recommend for deer hunting in any situation. In low light, crank it up to 5X, or so, and you will have an easy time picking up the shot on a deer.
Doug
playin2x View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote playin2x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 12:48
playin2x View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote playin2x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 12:51
I was actually unable to find out through my quick searches if it is fully multicoated or not. This is more of an assumption so if I am incorrect, let me know so I dont assume.

Also what is your take on the Viper:

Please don't list links to other optics vendors.  

Edited by cheaptrick - December/26/2012 at 13:29
"There is only one success-to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Morley
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 12:57
They are, even the original $300 SS line has fully multicoated optics.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 13:06
SWFA does not mention it, but I can say with high confidence it is mult-coated. I firmly believe the glass is a step up from VX-3, Conquest and Bushnell Elite glass. Single coatings or outer only mutli-coating would not allow this.
I have coyote hunted in varying light and cover with this scope and it is excellent. I am not a tactical scope user. But, I believe this is one scope that truly is a cross functional instrument.
Doug
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 13:06
Welcome to the OT!

ASS U ME[makes an Ass out of You & Me]

Although the Viper is a very good scope the SWFA will & should live longer.I also beleive the SS might have a slight edge on the glass.Both companies have great CS & warrenties the SS will hold it's value longer.

You can't go wrong with either scope  I've owned scopes from both companies & I would go with the SS.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 13:12
The SS line has noticeably better optical quality than the PST line.  I have personally compared the PST 1-4x vs the SS 1-4x, the PST 2.5-10x vs the SS 3-9x and the PST 6-24x vs the SS 5-20x.  In every case the optical quality of the SS was easily noticeable even in bright sunlight.  In low light there is a much larger difference.  Also the PST line has quite a bit of noticeable chromatic aberration.  The 4-16x and the 6-24x models I have looked through I could see this at longer distance targets.  

The PST line are decent scopes, but they are not as good in any comparable way to the newer SS line. 

playin2x View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote playin2x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 13:19
Man you guys are very helpful, I really appreciate all of the responses. Tahqa was right the SWFA site does not reference if the lens is multicoated or not... (My mistake in assuming) but a big THANK YOU for clarifying that for me because I was really interested in SS. 
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 13:34
For what you want, you can't go wrong with the SS 3-9.
Reaction time is a factor...
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trojan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 15:40
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Welcome to the OT!

ASS U ME[makes an Ass out of You & Me]

Although the Viper is a very good scope the SWFA will & should live longer.I also beleive the SS might have a slight edge on the glass.Both companies have great CS & warrenties the SS will hold it's value longer.

You can't go wrong with either scope  I've owned scopes from both companies & I would go with the SS.
+1
I own a 6.5-20x50MD Viper and a 6.5-20x44BDC Viper and I really like these scopes. However, I came accross a guy from this forum who lives near me and he lent me his: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx Glass is excellent and it is a rugged, heavy duty scope.
Wow!! THX Billyburl2  I just became a SS fan. This is what Im thinking of putting on my MVP: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-12x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53714.aspx
or this:
Decisions!:)
Good Luck
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
George Washington
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 16:46
you should be fine with the 3-9 Super Sniper unless you want higher magnification then consider the 5-20x50.   The Vortex Vipers are also a nice scope I have a 2-7 model that is no longer made and I like it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 17:27
No sweat Trojan. We need to get together soon, and go ring some steel! I just bought another rifle too...

And to the OP, your selection of the 3-9 SS is a great choice!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trojan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 02:10
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

No sweat Trojan. We need to get together soon, and go ring some steel! I just bought another rifle too...

And to the OP, your selection of the 3-9 SS is a great choice!
Yes, that would be awesome. Theres too much snow here in flag to go shoot. I was in sedona the other day off of forest road 525, just a mile past that actually and found lots of land. What did you get?(rifle)
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
George Washington
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic