OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Pro Staff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Pro Staff
    Posted: December/24/2012 at 20:58
I just bought a 4-12x40 Prostaff for my Ruger M77 35 Whelen and am having a little bit of buyers remorse.  I know guys that have them and like them but i'm questioning whether or not it will hold up to the recoil of the Whelen.  Should I return it for a Buckmaster or a Redfield Revolution?  The wife wont let me spend much more than that price range.  TIA!
kaptainQ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 21:02
Also, is there any reason I shouldn't use the factory Ruger scope rings that came with the rifle?
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 22:05
I definitely wouldn't sell it for a red field. If your happy with the clarity etc. Just keep that. A Buck master is a step above but I don't see why it would break.
Old Mil ftw
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 22:13
The factory Ruger rings should work fine.  I've had good luck with them. 
kaptainQ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 18:05
An associate at scheels told me the only difference between the prostaff, buckmaster, monarch scopes are the quality of glass.  Ruggedness (If that's the right word) would be the same.  Any truth to that?  

I also looked at a Vortex Diamondback while i was there.  I kinda liked their version of the bdc reticle.  Are the Diamondback scopes able to hold up to alot of recoil?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by kaptainQ kaptainQ wrote:

An associate at scheels told me the only difference between the prostaff, buckmaster, monarch scopes are the quality of glass.  Ruggedness (If that's the right word) would be the same.  Any truth to that?  

I also looked at a Vortex Diamondback while i was there.  I kinda liked their version of the bdc reticle.  Are the Diamondback scopes able to hold up to alot of recoil?

tough to say, i think  the pro staff is made in a different factory than the buckmaster and monarch. the vortex diamond back is tested to withstand the .375H&H i believe?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 22:06
They are right about the glass differences on between the models, but I don't know if the internals are the same or not. I'm thinking the Monarch is better or different from the Pro Staff or BM, which may be the same. But, I'm not entirely sure either.  

You could call Nikon USA and ask them, if they would know.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic