OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for advice/feedback: scope for DPMS REPR
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for advice/feedback: scope for DPMS REPR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clutzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for advice/feedback: scope for DPMS REPR
    Posted: December/24/2012 at 16:18
Greetings, first post.

I am new to .308 (been on the .223 platform for a while) and am looking for a scope that will serve me well from 100 to an optimistic 1000 yards.

My rifle is a DPMS R.E.P.R. with an 18" barrel: http://dpmsinc.com/NATO-REPR_ep_94-1.html.  Note: the description says 20" barrel but I believe it's actually an 18" barrel.

I've been learning about scopes and I'm leaning towards a MIL/MIL variable Front Focal Plane scope.  At this point I'm thinking about the Vortex Viper PST: http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44561.aspx

I'm interested in feedback related to the value of this scope and its magnification for its price point, all based on the rifle I'm going to be putting it on.  My goal is target shooting anywhere from 100 to 1000 yards (I'm hoping to get good enough to hit 1000 at some point--realistically I am expecting to be able to group in the 300-400 yard range now).  The rifle was $2100, the scope looks to be $1080 with a QD mount.  I am not ready to spend $2100 on a scope to keep it 1:1 at this point...

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Christiaan.
DPMS R.E.P.R. FDE
- Searching for a scope...
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 17:52
The 4-16 PST is certainly a decent choice and would serve you well.  However for your application it wouldn't be my first choice.  If going with a PST I'd go with the 6-24X.  While it's a bit limited in elevation travel, with a proper 20 MOA mount it has plenty to get you to 1000 yds.  The thinner reticle and the much better view of the targets will make it more enjoyable to use than the 4-16.

If you can spend a bit more, the 5-20 SS is a great choice.  It has better glass and a lot more travel.  You won't need illumination so you can save some money with the non-illuminated version.

Given your use for the rifle, I'm not sure why you want a QD mount.  For a long range precision rig a good non-QD mount offers many advantages.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 17:55
That's a fine choice for sure! Another option is the SWFA 5-20 HD its a solid scope for a little more. I was in your same situation and purchased a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMDR. Very pleased with it for the price and feature set. SWFA has the best price on them 729.99 I believe. Glass is pretty good not foggy on 15x at all. My only complaint it the hollow reticle center. But I am still shooting same size groups as before. Just another option for you Sir. Merry Christmas
Old Mil ftw
clutzer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clutzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 18:08
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

The 4-16 PST is certainly a decent choice and would serve you well.  However for your application it wouldn't be my first choice.  If going with a PST I'd go with the 6-24X.  While it's a bit limited in elevation travel, with a proper 20 MOA mount it has plenty to get you to 1000 yds.  The thinner reticle and the much better view of the targets will make it more enjoyable to use than the 4-16.

If you can spend a bit more, the 5-20 SS is a great choice.  It has better glass and a lot more travel.  You won't need illumination so you can save some money with the non-illuminated version.

Given your use for the rifle, I'm not sure why you want a QD mount.  For a long range precision rig a good non-QD mount offers many advantages.
Thanks for the advice--I've been struggling with whether or not to get the higher powered scope.  Definitely food for thought.

The reason I want QD is I always want the option of BUIS, and with these huge scopes I feel like they have to be removed before you can use the rear sight...
DPMS R.E.P.R. FDE
clutzer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clutzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 22:51
Two you suggested the SS 5-20, just to be 100% sure, I believe you mean this one:

Correct?

Merry Christmas!
DPMS R.E.P.R. FDE
clutzer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clutzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 23:22
After reviewing some more options, I'm pretty sure at this point that I want my scope to have illumination, parallax adjustment, and a clear and concise mil-dot based reticle.
DPMS R.E.P.R. FDE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic