OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help choosing a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DukeOfEarl87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help choosing a scope
    Posted: December/24/2012 at 00:46
New member with a question that I hope your input and experience can guide me in the right direction.  I am currently building  a custom rem 700 .308 and need a scope.  I plan on doing some hunting but mostly target.  Range of use would be from 100 yrds out to at most 500 yards but mainly usage from 100 to 300 yards. I am willing to spend upwards of 500. I am new to shooting a bolt action at distance and need some educating.  Thank you.
The Dude Abides
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 04:06
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Are we talking big game hunting here? Open fields, or woods? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 07:26
Welcome to the OT Forums Duke! Excellent At ranges of 1-300 yards, most any quality scope up to 10X would be fine. A few to consider would be Zeiss Conquest 3-9 X 40, Sightron Big Sky (many on sale or with rebates now) 3-9 x 42 or 3-12 X 42, Meopta Meopro 3-9 X 42 or 4-12 X 50, Minox ZA3 3-9 X 40, Bushnell Elite 2.5-10 X 40, Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 X 42, Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 X 42 or one of a zillion Leupold offerings. A lot depends on the features you like / want (reticle selection, size and weight, eye relief, field of view, etc.). Good luck...BTW I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 09:31
In that price range and for what you want to do I'd recommend the SWFA SS 3-9. IMO, target shooting requires target turrets and repeatability. I've owned some expensive scopes but none will do much better in the 0-300 range than the SS 3-9.
Reaction time is a factor...
DukeOfEarl87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DukeOfEarl87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 10:47
I would not be big game hunting it would be mostly woods, maybe a few open fields.  And when it comes to options I don't really know what I need.  I am used to shooting with EoTech sights and ACOGs. Thanks for the advice I will start to do some research on those listed.  
The Dude Abides
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 18:01
Welcome to the OT!

Sounds like you already have the answer.From my experience 75yrds & in Aimpoint ,75 yrds out 3.5Acog green horse shoe.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic