OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox ZA-5, Conquest, or ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox ZA-5, Conquest, or ?
    Posted: December/22/2012 at 19:30
I'm putting together a lightweight hunting rifle for use during my high mountain elk, deer, and possibly bear hunting trips in Colorado. I've got the rifle narrowed down to a LH Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm mag. (Tikka are one of few that build a decently lightweight left hand rifle that doesn't cost a small fortune, for any of you southpaws out there looking)

I've been all over the map trying to decide what scope to put on this rifle. Sticking with the theme of lightweight, I'd also like enough eye relief that's pretty forgiving as I'll be shooting for a number of different positions. All in as near a 40mm objective as possible, I've considered the Leupold VX-6, Bushnell elite, Conquest, Minox and a number of others. On paper, I keep getting drawn back to the Minox. It seems to have almost everything I want in a scope, but I'm concerned that the eye relief may not be forgiving enough and I don't want to regret passing up the conquest which seems to be the standard by which all others are judged for an overall quality piece of optics. If I get a 3x erector, it has to be a 3-9, and I don't see myself taking long enough shots to require top end magnification higher than 12, but I don't want bottom end magnification to be higher than 3.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with the Minox ZA-5 2-10x40 that can give me their opinion for my application?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 20:04
i think the minox will serve you well. good luck!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 20:07
Thanks Pyro.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 20:11
your welcome, you sound like  you think a lot like i do. im the same way. i shoot magnums pretty much exclusively and yet i dont use anything more than a 3x9 myself. ive used the conquest, and it really liked it. i still own a 4200 elite and its seen service on a .375H&H as well as a .300wby. never had enough coin jingling in my pocket to touch a vx6 or a minox. both are excellent scopes though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 20:31
I'm never going to be someone that's taking 800 yard shots at anything bigger than a coyote in the field. That's just not my style. I prefer to stalk and get closer. This 7 mag will be my first mag. I've previously always hunted with my trusty old Savage 110 in .270 win. But then, I've previously always hunted at elevations of ~4000' and elevation changes of +/- 500'. Since I've moved to CO, I've just found that that old savage is more weight than I'd like to carry for +/-1500' changes at 10000'+. Plus it's right bolt and I've always wanted left bolt since I shoot lefty.

I think I'm probably over thinking it, but I don't like buying things twice. I'm sure any scope I've considered would do the job as well or better than I'm capable of.

My best friend's brother has a 375H&H. I wouldn't mind having one someday.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 20:43
If you don't like buying things twice, then why not go with the Conquest or VX3?  I have the VX3 CDS on my 7mags and they are super, on par optically with my Conquest.  
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 20:57
JGRaider, the answer to your question goes back to my probably over thinking the situation. But, one of the things that drew me back to the Minox over the Leupold was the availability of the #4 reticle. My best friend has a vxiii on his 7mag and he loves it. I'm sure I wouldn't go wrong with it, but I'm trying to explore all of my options. I haven't necessarily ruled out the VX3 but the Minox appears to be a better deal.

The Conquest is definitely still in consideration. Especially since SWFA has the 3-9x40 with #4 reticle at $349 right now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've still got time to make a decision and I'm glad to go back over my options and see if I still draw the same conclusions.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 06:48
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 10:49
I have owned all the scopes mention & you really can't go wrong with any of them but I will share what I think are the short commings:

Zeiss has a small mag eye box

Minox has mushy turrets[I still own 2]

Elite 6500 I blew the glass on my 26th  round on my T/C 460 mag.[even though it suppose to be able to handle a 50 cal]In all honesty ,they did send me a brand new scope within 10 days!

Swaro best glass of the entire group & about the best at holding it's value.

One other thing is consider a high end scope off the SWFA sample list,they have some killer deals & the best CS in the business.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 13:53
Thanks for the suggestions.

The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning toward limiting myself to a little more reasonable budget, maybe <$500. I do have some other wants outside of the scope (new binos, reloading equipment, new pistol) and if I blow it all on a scope right now I'll have to make some sacrifices in other areas. Besides, I'm sure if I ever decide to spring for some nice European glass, I'll find another gun to put this scope on top of.

I know $500 really prices a lot of what I've looked at out of the game, but I really don't think I'll regret saving that money now.

Stickbow, other than mushy turrets, have you noticed any other issues with the minox's? I've read reports of the early versions of the za5 having flare issues and very unforgiving eye relief. I haven't seen too many recent reports, good or bad, though.

I don't adjust turrets in the field. Once I set zero, I leave it.

Thanks,

Ryan
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 18:03

Just in case you haven't seen these deals.

I know you said you were looking at the #4 reticle, the rapid z may peak your interest.  The big sky is still a good deal, a bit lighter than some of the other scopes mentioned as well. 

I got a deal on two minox scopes and kept them due to the glass, I have not spend a great deal of time with them, but was very impressed, found no issues with either scope yet.  I purchased one of the big sky's linked above and it is nice glass, but IMO not as nice as the minox, but a very solid scope.  I am considering purchasing the conquest so I may compare the next level of optics to what I own.  All in all any of the scopes you mentioned should do well, it will just be your preference that matters.
Laserrs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laserrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 18:06
Love my conquest. I've not noticed any eye box Issues though I'm using a 4.5-14x50. To the untrained eye, I'd doubt you could tell it apart from a Z3 Swaro.
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 18:41
Originally posted by Fredfrankbob Fredfrankbob wrote:

Just in case you haven't seen these deals.

I know you said you were looking at the #4 reticle, the rapid z may peak your interest.  The big sky is still a good deal, a bit lighter than some of the other scopes mentioned as well. 

I got a deal on two minox scopes and kept them due to the glass, I have not spend a great deal of time with them, but was very impressed, found no issues with either scope yet.  I purchased one of the big sky's linked above and it is nice glass, but IMO not as nice as the minox, but a very solid scope.  I am considering purchasing the conquest so I may compare the next level of optics to what I own.  All in all any of the scopes you mentioned should do well, it will just be your preference that matters.

I did notice the Zeiss deals and, honestly, I've just about talked myself into the 3-9x40 #4.

I'm not interested in the rapid z, but that's a screaming deal. I set my rifles up for a MPBR shot and don't shoot long distances in the field.

Thanks for the links. :)
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 18:43
Originally posted by Laserrs Laserrs wrote:

Love my conquest. I've not noticed any eye box Issues though I'm using a 4.5-14x50. To the untrained eye, I'd doubt you could tell it apart from a Z3 Swaro.

Thanks for your impressions on the Zeiss. I haven't found a bad review yet.

That's definitely a contributing factor for me. I just can't see there being a $500 delta between them, for me. My eye is definitely what you would call untrained.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 20:17
Go with the Zeiss & buy a set of light weight one piece Talley rings & don't look back Smile

Decision Made....Merry ChristmasChristmas List
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 20:37
Number 4 is by far my favorite hunting reticle... The deal on the Conquest is so good I just talked myself into one.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 20:54
747 I think you just talked yourself into a new rifle [:}
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 21:17
Well I have been wanting a 7-08 for awhile now....
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 23:09
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Go with the Zeiss & buy a set of light weight one piece Talley rings & don't look back Smile

Decision Made....Merry ChristmasChristmas List

The Talley rings were decided on weeks ago, ironically.
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 23:12
Thanks for the help, everyone.

I think I'm going to take one more trip down to the big box store and see if I can have a look through a 3-9x40 conquest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic