OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mossberg MVP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mossberg MVP
    Posted: December/20/2012 at 18:44
Anyone tried one of these?  http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-centerfire-predator/27714

The fact that they take AR-15 mags is really cool. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2012 at 19:51
doesnt big green own mossberg now??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2012 at 22:30
have seen several negative reviews on them on P-Masters.

***  I should clarify, i've never shot on or even handled one.  The issues i've "heard" with them is mag feed reliability and accuracy.  One guy reported that if he had more than about 5 rounds loaded his would not feed. Could have been a mag issue.  Another said that he tried several proven handloads and even some BH match ammo and the gun wouldn't group better than 2" at 100 yds.  Could have have been the shooter/setup.   I like the concept but think there are better executions.  I don't see the need for more than 10rounds in a bolt gun and that can be accomplished easily with a 223 and a DBM these days with a much better platform than mossberg.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - December/21/2012 at 07:56
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2012 at 23:37
I think they're pretty neat, would make a nice truck gun.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 09:11
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

have seen several negative reviews on them on P-Masters.

***  I should clarify, i've never shot on or even handled one.  The issues i've "heard" with them is mag feed reliability and accuracy.  One guy reported that if he had more than about 5 rounds loaded his would not feed. Could have been a mag issue.  Another said that he tried several proven handloads and even some BH match ammo and the gun wouldn't group better than 2" at 100 yds.  Could have have been the shooter/setup.   I like the concept but think there are better executions.  I don't see the need for more than 10rounds in a bolt gun and that can be accomplished easily with a 223 and a DBM these days with a much better platform than mossberg.

I searched reviews for a couple hours last night.  I have seen many more positive reviews than negative.  Most people are getting sub moa groups with them with basic factory ammo, some with match and handloads are getting close to half moa.  The only feeding issues I saw mentioned were when people used Pmags, they said they would not lock in place.  But that doesn't surprise me, Pmags suck even in ARs.  

On that others make a better platform.  Now doubt, but not for $500. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 11:47
Oh my, that may be an assault rifle.   Hippie    Probably no mags left anywhere in US now.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 13:02
Mag availability is not much of a concern for me. Big Grin

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 13:53
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Mag availability is not much of a concern for me. Big Grin
HoarderWink   (takes one to know one don't it?)
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:00
Hoarder? I resent that comment.  Wink

Just because I planned ahead about 5 years ago does not make me a hoarder.  It just means I paid attention in boy scouts.  Bucky

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:08
My whole reason for wanting a bolt gun in .223 was so I could carry it in my gun boot on my fourwheeler.  My ARs do not fit in it.  I much prefer my AR to any bolt gun. 

So I have been plotting for near a year about which one to get (I am driving my wife crazy I think) then came across this MVP just yesterday and thought it was pretty cool and it may be the one.  I was talking to my dad about it this morning and he said what the heck do you need another gun for.  I told him my reasoning, and his reply was, how long has it been since you looked to see if they have gun boots that will fit ARs.  So I check and what do you know, Kolpin makes a tactical gun boot.  I called and told my wife and she was all kinds of happy I only had to spend $150 on a new gun boot vs a new gun and scope. 

That gun boot just made my day.  Hopefully it will arrive next week.

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:13
I would get both. Remember you were a Boy Scout.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:21

Soooooo what your saying is you passed up the opportunity to get a new gun.......Loco   Just when I thought you were ready to leave the nest..........   Back to basics I reckon.Bucky

Just kidding as always.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:26
Yeah, yeah, I know.  But in my defense, I have bought several of them in the last couple of months.  

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:28
THERES HOPE!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:30

Yeah, yeah, I know.  But in my defense, I have bought several of them in the last couple of months.  

Yeah, but what about this month?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:36
This was last week.  So I should be good for the month.  Big Grin

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:49

My whole reason for wanting a bolt gun in .223 was so I could carry it in my gun boot on my fourwheeler.  My ARs do not fit in it.  I much prefer my AR to any bolt gun. 

So I have been plotting for near a year about which one to get (I am driving my wife crazy I think) then came across this MVP just yesterday and thought it was pretty cool and it may be the one.  I was talking to my dad about it this morning and he said what the heck do you need another gun for.  I told him my reasoning, and his reply was, how long has it been since you looked to see if they have gun boots that will fit ARs.  So I check and what do you know, Kolpin makes a tactical gun boot.  I called and told my wife and she was all kinds of happy I only had to spend $150 on a new gun boot vs a new gun and scope. 

That gun boot just made my day.  Hopefully it will arrive next week.

Looks like a very nice "bugout" setup. ;)
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 14:50

This was last week.  So I should be good for the month.  Big Grin

Be careful you could shoot your eye out with that kid. Big Grin
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 15:45
Well you guys made me feel bad, so I just bought another one of these on Gun Broker.  Now we have the full set.  .357, .44 mag and .45 colt.  Big Grin

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 15:48
Henry's?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic