OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Details on Remington rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Details on Remington rifle
    Posted: December/19/2012 at 09:42
Anyone got any details on this rifle?  It looks like it has a bell and carlson m40 style stock and says it has a 5r type barrel.  Am not able to find any info on any of the remington sites.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=322783511
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 09:43
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 10:23
You're not seriously considering .223 in a bolt action are you?
Reaction time is a factor...
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 10:49
I don't know...
Call me crazy, but I can't help wondering why that's a $1,200 rifle.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by MC Escher MC Escher wrote:

I don't know...

oh but its got a kevlar stock!!Bucky
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 10:58
Originally posted by MC Escher MC Escher wrote:

I don't know...

My thoughts exactly.

I was just searching the 5rs on gunbroker and saw it.  The Bell and Carlson is a $250 stock.  So I don't see what would make that a $1200 rifle either. 

Its not a 700P rifle Pyro, this is something different.

And Jon, yes I am considering a .223 bolt gun.  Chop the barrel to 16 inches thread it 5/8 -24 and run my 30 cal suppressor on it, it should be a lot of fun. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 11:05
hmm, i got nothing, unless they just took a standard m700 and restocked it??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 11:09
Only 11 hrs left so time is short. I'd call Rem's custom shop and ask a tech to look at it. It appears to have a heavier barrel than the Police specials and being fluted also suggest it may be custom. A tech should be able to identify pretty quick. That being said you could build one with a kreiger 5R barrel for under 1K provided you have a donar action or can get one for around 300.00. Just be willing to wait 16 weeks +/- for the barrel unless you get lucky and choose one they have on hand. Good Luck with it!!
Also just occurred to me that the guy selling this probably did just that. Had an action ordered a barrel and had them set the action. Then drop it in a stock and is clearing atleast 300.00 on the sell.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 11:10
I am thinking it may have the same barrel they put on the 5r Milspec, but they have fluted it and finished it black.  But I am not sure, that's what I was trying to find out. 

I have no intention of buying that particular model as I could have a hand lapped custom tube fitted to an action and buy a Bell and Carlson stock all for about the same price. 

I am just curious as it is a new to me model I had not seen before. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 11:11
Thanks Sgt D.  It does have a remington part number.  I have found that same gun for sale on several different websites.  So I think it is a factory rifle, just cannot find any details on it.   

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 14:51
It is a Remington factory rifle and I believe it is a special made for a distributor. But I can not remember which though. And these are the specs I saw. But they are not very detailed.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 85539
Category: TACTICAL RIFLES
Action :Bolt
Caliber :223 Remington/5.56 NATO
Barrel Length :24"
Capacity :4+1
Trigger :Standard
Safety :Manual
OAL :39.62"
Weight :7.5 lbs
Stock :Synthetic
Metal Finish :Black

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 15:33
Well, it does have the Cerakoting and fluting so maybe the barrel is something special.
Reaction time is a factor...
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 16:54
Never knew that Remington offered Cerakote on a factory rifle or even a custom shop rifle for that matter. I shoot with a guy who has a 5R in 308 and that rifle is ridiculously accurate. Lots and lots of custom builders would be thrilled to produce rifles as accurate as that factory 5R.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic