OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Target scope advice for a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedLining52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Target scope advice for a newbie
    Posted: December/17/2012 at 13:39
Good afternoon, after browsing the forum for a couple weeks I figured I would sign up and see if I could get some advice from the much more experienced than myself. I just purchased a Savage 10 fp-sr and am looking to get a scope that will give me the ability to grow into it as I get better and my shots get longer.  I will only be using the scope for target shooting, no hunting for me.  Most of the shooting will be done from 100 and 200 yards but I would also like something that gives me the ability to go a little further when I'm ready.  I don't want a scope that is going to be really cheap but I guess you could say i'm after that "best bang for the buck".  I'd like to keep my budget at $600 for now.  Any recommendations on optics I should take a look at would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 14:11
Do you want fixed or variable? 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 14:26
You could do a whole lot with an SS 3-9 for that $600. (But also factor in some quality rings if you don't already have some). I'd take one of those and shoot a lot out to 300 until you're just bored sick with nailing paper or gongs.
Reaction time is a factor...
RedLining52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedLining52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 15:19
Was looking for a variable..
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 15:34
The SS 3-9x is a great suggestion for a $600 variable. I like the SS 10x or SS 12x for targets personally.  

Welcome to the OT. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 15:53

#1 recommendation -

FFP, Good glass, repeatable, positive dials/turrets, great reputation, durable.

Being a target only gun you may want more magnification.... that said here are a few recommendations.  Don't be to worried about elevation adjustment as you shouldn't run out on any of these listed given your stated distances.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedLining52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2012 at 20:14
What makes the SS 3x9x42 better than the other higher magnification scopes listed.  Sorry for the noob question, this will be my first scope I am buying.  
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2012 at 20:45
The scope is a proven design.I'ts build like a battle ship,very reasonably priced,holds its value,has great glass & comes with the best customer service in the business.

Welcome to the OT!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedLining52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2012 at 20:53
How does the SS 3x9 compare to these two weaver scopes.

Would the slight increase in price for one of these weavers be worth it over the SS scope?  The SS and the Weaver seem to have a lot of the same features, just appears the weaver have a slight more magnification.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic