OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which scope has a really large FoV?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which scope has a really large FoV?
    Posted: December/17/2012 at 07:35
I just bought my 6 year old grandson a Knight LK-II muzzleloader since it has a short 22" barrel and I'll try to trim the stock to shorten the length of pull. I'd like to put a 2-7 something or even a fixed 4 power with the largest FoV for a young hunter. Anyone know of something like that off hand? Thanks.  
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 08:22

The widest FOV can mean the shortest eye relief.  Sticking to a lower power scope (2.5 fixed or a low power variable set at it's lowest X 1.5 -2) can help.
  This is just a suggestion. When I started my 5-6yr old grandson shooting his youth model .22 I saw he was having a problem using a scope so I mounted a red dot sight I had.  Bingo. In a short time he was hitting the tacks that held the target.  Might want to think about one. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 09:30
Swarovoski Z6 1-6X24 127.5 ft at 100 Yards. It will still mantain 3.7" eye relief. With the extended version the FOV drops to 100 ft but extends eye relief out to 4.7". The last scope he will ever need.

The Vortex Diamondback 2-7X35 may be more of what you are looking for It has a 64' FOV.

Edited by 3_tens - December/17/2012 at 09:36
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 11:22
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

The last scope he will ever need.

That's no joke there! Which is a good thing since after buying it, the average hunter won't be able to afford to buy another scope! Ha!

The Z6 is an outstanding scope by any measure.

For a less expensive option, as previously mentioned, a good red dot reflex sight is a good choice for a muzzleloader. You might also consider the Leupold VX-3 1.75-6X32, which is also light and compact. For that matter, most low powered variables will have at least decent FOV.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 11:28

My VX-III in that configuration had a very short eye relief at 6X.  Has that changed with the VX-3?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 11:43
Good point, Earl. I think eye relief is the same on that scope as the VX-III version, but I'm not certain of that. It's around 3.5" at 6X, which though certainly not what I'd consider "long," isn't what I'd consider "short" either. I have one of the first gen Vari-X III versions of that scope, before Leupy lengthened the main tube, and I've never had an issue with its eye relief, but then I've never had it mounted on a heavy kicker either.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 12:02
 Mine was the long tube model.  I can't remember the exact amount of eye relief (I had measured it)but I believe it was no more than 3".  I later found out that scope had the most variation in e/r from low X to high than any other scope Leupold has offered.
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 13:58
Just because my grandson's "papa" has a Swarovski 3-9x36mm on HIS muzzleloader doesn't mean papa will be getting one for his grandson!

The Vortex Diamond 2-7x33 looks great for the FoV but the eye relief is a bit short at 3.5" - 3.1".  After reviewing all morning the Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 has a bit narrower FoV but the eye relief is more favorable at 4.2" - 3.7".  I thing the young hunter would be better off with the Leupy - I'll start looking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic