OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SIII 16X vs SS 16X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arshutr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron SIII 16X vs SS 16X
    Posted: December/15/2012 at 19:43
Don't post often, but I've been combing the web for a real side by side "optical" comparison of the Sightron SIII vs. the SS in fixed power, but haven't found any good threads.  I did see the 10X comparison and in that particular instance the SS was a better scope.  Not sure I want to create an assumption based on one review, but it was done well, so it has merit.  How about the 16X specifically?  In light of the recent closeout on the SIII, I would like to know if the SIII is worth the extra $80.   Keep in mind I am really only concerned about the optical quality, not click feel, size, etc.  It will primarily be used for LR load development, 600-1000 F-Class and some long range 800-1400 yd doggin.  Thanks for your assistance ladies and gents.  I look fwd to the responses. 
arshutr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arshutr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2012 at 01:53
Ok, looks like no one else (had a PM that helped a little) has done a side by side comparison.  I just went ahead and ordered the 16X Sightron.  I know the glass will be good and it looks to be a smaller/lighter weight scope than the SS.  If anyone wants to share their experience with the 16X Sightron SIII I would appreciate it.  Thanks!
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2012 at 13:05
If you had looked at the specs on SWFA's web-site, the SS is both shorter and lighter. And it is available with mil turrets that match the mil reticle. All for about $80 less money. And as far as the glass goes, I bet it is really close between the two... 
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53715.aspx
http://swfa.com/Sightron-16x42-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P45295.aspx
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 17:42
I did a lot of searching on the net for info but only found two comments on rimfire central. They both thought the Sightron was much better. One shooter had both brands.

Nobody on snipershide nor snipercentral seemed interested in the Fixed Sightron.

I'd say the resale on the SS would be much better.
 The SS 16 has a problem in low light conditions.

I have the SS 10X. The only thing I don't like is the turrent digits tend to move off a little at times. I don't like cranking the tightening screws in hard.

Please let me know what you think about your scope. Thanks.
arshutr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arshutr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 11:04
billyburl2......the SS is lighter....but not shorter.   If you would have looked at the website you would have known that.  I was trying to get a honest comparison, not a smart answer.  If you can only speculate as to the differences, why even post?  Not trying to start anything, just sayin. 
arshutr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arshutr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 11:08
BA50, I'll let you know what it's like when I get home from Afghanistan.....this spring.  Will revive the thread then.  Thanks for your insight.   
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 17:07
Originally posted by arshutr arshutr wrote:

billyburl2......the SS is lighter....but not shorter.   If you would have looked at the website you would have known that.  I was trying to get a honest comparison, not a smart answer.  If you can only speculate as to the differences, why even post?  Not trying to start anything, just sayin. 
Sorry about that, I transposed the .2" difference in length...That being said, having turrets that match the reticle is really worth it. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 17:14
Originally posted by ba_50 ba_50 wrote:

The SS 16 has a problem in low light conditions.

What problem are you referring to?
arshutr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arshutr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 05:31
No worries bb2.  Big Smile  I got a PM from a member here and he has both.  Stated that the SIII has better optical clarity and resolution but both are challenged a bit for brightness at that magnification.  Trade-off I guess.  I think the scope will work well for my intended purposes, but I'll post my findings in March or April in case someone wants to know.
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 14:33
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. BB2, I was talking about washout in low light conditions. If the SIII turrents hold position better, than I would go with the Sightron. It's not a big deal just annoying to have to sight in again.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 15:36
ba_50 your SS does not hold it's zero?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 18:45
arshutr,Thank you brother for your service,keep your head down & get home safe.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 18:53
+1 on that!
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 09:59
arshutr,

If you have time maybe you can look through as it gets dark and let us know what you think.

Sparky,
It holds zero but the thimbles won't stay put. The screws dig into soft brass and leave ridges. They are smooth and not knurled so it is easier for them to shift position so, the thimble or turrent knob slips one side of the zero reading and you don't know which way to go to reset the "0" on the setting. Or the screws just come loose. The harder you tighten the screws the more cuts you have.  I never was a crank it down as hard as possible  "fixer" anyhow. It's kind of a no win situation. I am not a scope expert but that is the way I figure it. The screws do have to be checked for tightness fairly often. Mine is on a .22 rimfire most of the time and gets a lot of turning, so that probably contributes to the screws coming loose.
JagerDog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagerDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 12:16
Any more on this? I'm in a similar crossroad. Mainly targets and load development in heavy barrel .243. Visions of varmints, but we don't have p-dog towns. Prolly 500 yard tops.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic