OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32
    Posted: December/14/2012 at 12:39
Hello.

I'm looking for a new scope to mount on my .308. The scope would be used on driven hunts late in the season, and given the terrain, I really don't want to spend too much money - I had already broken one scope due to a fall and the second one was already put  through its phases - water, mud, snow, etc.. Therefore I'd like something tough and waterproof, and cheaper, in case it gets broken. It seems that Vortex Diamondback scopes meet all of my requirements. I'm looking at the 1.75-5x32 model, however the 2-7x35 is also an option. The scope would also serve as a backup to my main scope (currently Minox ZA3 3-9x50, I'm planning to get something better though).

I'd like to hear your comments on the two models or on the alternatives.

Much appreciated. 
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 12:40
sounds like a logical choice given what your requirements are.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 12:55
Vortex's warranty is top notch if your hard on things.
Old Mil ftw
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 12:59
yea, although I am kinda sceptical buying another cheap scope... I guess the diamondback should hold the recoil of a .308, if Vortex's site is to be trusted.

And information on the parallax of the thing? It's set at 100 yards, any idea how bad is it if the target's any closer?

-A. Einstein
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 13:03
Originally posted by Trickster Trickster wrote:

yea, although I am kinda sceptical buying another cheap scope... I guess the diamondback should hold the recoil of a .308, if Vortex's site is to be trusted.

And information on the parallax of the thing? It's set at 100 yards, any idea how bad is it if the target's any closer?

well if this matters or helps any, i have a 2x7 viper on my .375H&H, and the first deer i shot with that setup was 26 steps from me.

On a side note:
i know of late there has been a lot of vortex talk on this site... no we dont get paid to endorse their products, we are just being real with the members here. if a product is crap we will say its crap. if a vortex scope will fill someone's requirements then we will endorse that members choice. if we think something better is out there we will not hesitate to mention it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 13:06
Originally posted by Trickster Trickster wrote:

That will not matter for big game hunting.  If you were shooting 10 yards for tight groups with a rimfire it might matter.  Nearly all big game scopes are set at 100 yards. 

There are also a bunch or Sightron scopes on closeout.  Some great values there right now.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-Closeouts-C4847.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 13:22
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

well if this matters or helps any, i have a 2x7 viper on my .375H&H, and the first deer i shot with that setup was 26 steps from me.

On a side note:
i know of late there has been a lot of vortex talk on this site... no we dont get paid to endorse their products, we are just being real with the members here. if a product is crap we will say its crap. if a vortex scope will fill someone's requirements then we will endorse that members choice. if we think something better is out there we will not hesitate to mention it.

I was actually looking for a 2-7 Viper, but it was discontinued. Oh well...

@supertool73

Thanks for the info on the parallax. I'll also check Sightrons out, although I think I'll stay with the Vortex.

-A. Einstein
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 15:07
I did a little more searching and came across this: http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/monarch_african

Comments? Smile 

-A. Einstein
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 15:21
I don't think you would go wrong with the vortex diamond back. I don't have one, but would not think twice about buying one. I do have and love a 2-7 viper, and I'm 100% confident that in the event I need vortex's CS they will be there for me. With that said, the Burris FFII 2-7x35 would suit your needs admirably as well.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 07:35
I'm still kinda torn between the 1-4 power Nikon and the 1.75-5 power Diamondback. I'll flip a coin I guess...

-A. Einstein
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 07:49
the african will have better glass.... but nikons cs dept is very hit and miss if you were to ever need them.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 08:30
Any other alternatives with a similar power span and price (around $250) then?

Edited by Trickster - December/15/2012 at 09:23

-A. Einstein
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 08:47
i will be perfectly honest with you, i strongly considered the african for my .375H&H, and over the years ive owned several nikon scopes, either buckmaster or monarch lines, and never had a stitch of trouble with them.....
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2012 at 05:39
Ok, I'm pretty much sold on the African (some red dot sights are also an option, but now I'm just complicating).

There's one other thing I'd like to ask (kinda offtopic, but I don't want to start another topic)

I noticed Burris offers some tactical QD rings. Any info on the reliability (or comments on generalBig Smile)? 

Here's an image:

-A. Einstein
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2012 at 15:23
Ok, one final question:

I'm pretty much set on Warne's Maxima Quick Detach rings. Warne guarantees accuracy of within 1/1000th of an inch when removing and reattaching the optics if used with their steel bases. Sounds too good to be true imo.

Any comments?

Do the rings work just as well on other manufacturer's rails?

Thanks

-A. Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic