OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how do they compare

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .270hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do they compare
    Posted: December/13/2012 at 07:46
i presently have a Leopold 6x on my .270 win. i am thinking about putting a vortex 3x9  diamondback with bdc  http://swfa.com/Vortex-3-9x40-Diamondback-Rifle-Scope-P11237.aspx how does the glass compare and how the light at sunset and sunrise thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 07:49
how old of a leupold is it??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
.270hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .270hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 08:01
i bought the scope new in 1993 thanks 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 08:12
is it an m8-6x or a fx-6x??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 11:00
Also, is it a 6x36 or 6x42?

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .270hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 12:11
it is a m8 and think is 6x36
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 12:11
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

hey, im trying to do some detective work here and you come in ask the question im trying to find the answer too.Laugh
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 12:20
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

hey, im trying to do some detective work here and you come in ask the question im trying to find the answer too.Laugh

I am just trying to help, Sherlock.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 12:21

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I am just trying to help, Sherlock.

ILya

thanks watson
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 12:25
ok all kidding aside, a 36mm and 40mm only have an exit pupil difference of .667, so really it depends on the quality of the glass and lens coatings applied to each scope as far as how well each would perform in dawn/dusk settings. ive dealt with the m8's a fair amount in the 90's everything from 6x to 24x. i ve handled the diamondback a time or two, its a nice scope for the price. id guess it would perform better at the times your interested in.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .270hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 13:16
thanks for the replies, should have known the info up front, i have heard a lot about how the quality can make a difference, never seen it for my self until i bought some binos a yard sale older Bushnell and the scope and binos, it was night and day. did not want to get the bdc for and end up with less glass thanks again

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 13:58
The 6X42 had the same coatings, Multicoat 4, as the VariX-III's that year. It was also baged M-8 as I have one with target knobs.
The 6x36 M8 did not have multicoating and was the same coatings as the 4X M8. Those coatings were not too bad until they showed up in the VariX-II's. Mine were milky and are long gone. The fixed were better and might be worth keeping. I would compare that scope with the 3-9 Vortex.
Doug
Hudge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2013 at 01:28
I may be the odd man out, but I am not a fan of the Vortex Diamondbacks. I have one in a 4-12x40, and it leaves little for eye relief. Of all my scopes, I rate it second to the bottom next to a Simmons I own. I would prefer a Leupold VX-1 as they are roughly the same price or even a Burris FFII if you are set on a 3-9x40 scope. 
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2013 at 13:45
Eye relief sacrificed gives you a HUGE field of view. For a 3-9. Vortex Diamondback is a nice hunting optic.
Old Mil ftw
dobar333 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dobar333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 07:48
Hello dude..is it doing good work or not??i think its comfortable to the other..I loved hunting optics and i personally use this optics 3-9. Vortex Diamondback..its very comfortable for me..
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 09:15
Then that carries alot of weight.  buy what you like if it works for you and you'll be much less inclided to have buyer remorse.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 09:19

Oh and the Diamondback might not like a 270 if she's a kicker...  I have one on a 223 and am quite happy, others have experienced higher failure rates on bigger kickers.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic