OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

buget set-ups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: buget set-ups
    Posted: December/12/2012 at 14:40
I loan all of my rifles out from time to time to those who can't afford their own. Sure I could go to wally world and get super cheap set ups but, would rather have something a bit nicer.

I have been able to buy brand new Tikka t3 lite stainless composites for the $500 at gun shows. Leupold scopes for the around the $500 here - mounts rings slings makes for a total set up at under $1200.

How do others fortify their stock pile of AFFORDABLE fire arms??
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2012 at 15:01
Savage... I never would have purchased one but when finances were tight I did and I have been impressed.  Very accurate 1/2 easy.  Very upgradeable stock for 99-$150

CZ... you can get them with a single set trigger and they are one heck of a deal hammer forged barrel and 1/2-1moa in every rifle...

No one
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2012 at 15:05
I like the marlin x7 and ruger american
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2012 at 15:40
If you want an affordable set-up, instead of spending $500 on a scope, spend $200.

There is a variety of decent $200 scopes out there: Vortex Diamondback, Burris Fullfield II, etc

As far as rifles go, $500 T3 is a nice way to go, but if push comes to shove you can get a Savage Axis for less than $300.

Bottom line is that if I were to put together the cheapest possible boltgun, but still keep it serviceable, I would do the followwing:

Savage Axis in 308 for $269 (per a brief online search I just did)
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 for $189 ( http://swfa.com/Vortex-3-9x40-Diamondback-Rifle-Scope-P10823.aspx)
DNZ one piece scope mount for $48 ( http://swfa.com/DNZ-Lightweight-1-Scopemount-P48984.aspx)
A pair of Hushstalker sling swivels for $9
A simple sling that will aid in carrying and offer some moderate shooting support can be had for $20-$30.

I think altogether this adds up to around $545 plus tax and DROS.

ILya

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2012 at 16:23
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

I loan all of my rifles out from time to time to those who can't afford their own. Sure I could go to wally world and get super cheap set ups but, would rather have something a bit nicer.

I have been able to buy brand new Tikka t3 lite stainless composites for the $500 at gun shows. Leupold scopes for the around the $500 here - mounts rings slings makes for a total set up at under $1200.

How do others fortify their stock pile of AFFORDABLE fire arms??

You must be a brave soul. I once loaned out a rifle and it came back appearing to have been used to hammer rusty nails. Loco
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 06:01
When I decided to buy a backup, loaner, beater rifle I shopped around and bought a savage 200 in 308 win and mounted a Monarch 4x40 I picked up off the sample list for around $100. I had received a $100 coupon from the big box store I bought the rifle from so I probably have around $275 out of pocket in the whole rig. It actually has become a favorite hunting rifle and tagged me a couple of deer in the last 3 years . I have to agree with Koshkin affordable means different things to different people and to me a $500 scope is a pretty heavy investment as there are many good $200 scopes out there right now. Just look at some of the sightrons that are on sale right now as well as the normal price point scopes as he mentioned in his post. With a bit of patience and shopping around one can get a nice hunting scope for $200- $300 as there is always something on sale. Last year it was the bushnell 4200 closeouts and vortex 2-7 vipers. This year it the sightron big sky who knows about next year but you can about bet on it that there will be something. The same can also be said about rifles. Right now a local big box has the older weatherby vanguards on sale for $349 so it can be pretty easy to put together a nice rig for $500- $600
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 11:25
+1 on the Savage Axis accuracy is definitely good enough for a hunting rig. +1 for the Vortex Diamondbacks also a good buy.
Old Mil ftw
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2012 at 13:02
1200.00 is not a budget setup IMO.  As stated above, many ways to build a budget setup for under 600.00. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic