OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

antlers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangecrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: antlers
    Posted: December/09/2012 at 10:20
was out scouting for muzzle loading seasons and found a 170ish buck that looks like it died from ehd/blue tounge the question i have is whats the easyest way to remove the dried hide/meat its been there for about 3months or so
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2012 at 17:21
I assume you're speaking of removing the hide/meat from the skull; under the circumstances, I would boil it off.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2012 at 18:26
Soak it for a couple days, and then cut the hide and as much other tissue off as you can.

You can either boil (actually simmer) to remove the remaining tissues, or have somebody with beetles clean the skull.  I hav ehad some really good results simmering, but beetles are the superior method, IMO.
-Matt
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2012 at 19:32
Soak it to remove hide then boil an power wash
Then get 40 volume peroxide from beauty supply place an paint it on with a brush. It will be nice an white
Dont take yourself to seriously
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic