OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA vr Trijicon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA vr Trijicon
    Posted: December/07/2012 at 14:38
Wonder how the Trij 5-20 x 50 ($1083) compares to the SS 5-20 x50 ($1300-1500).  Obviously  the Trij has the price advantage but curious how the low light capabilities, controls and such compare.  I was looking but didnt find a hands on head to head compare.  Imagine this has been covered so its probably my search skills. Could someone point me to it? 
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2012 at 15:08
the SWFA has more internal adjustments and is first focal plane. 
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2012 at 15:24
I didn't do a "head-to-head", but have owned both scopes and can give some general info:

1.  Turrets on the SS are better, the Trijicon turrets do not have enough resistance, spin too easily, and don't feel real sturdy. That said, clicks are audible and tactile and you know when you've made an adjustment.

2.  The SS has significantly more elevation adjustment range, whether that is needed or not makes that important - or not.

3.  The Trijicon is SFP while the SS is FFP.  I sold my 5-20 Trijicon because the reticle was too thick and it was always too thick.

4.  With the mil dot reticle, the illumination on the Trijicon is just the center dot, and it is a perfect size for low light shooting.

5.  At 20X, the SS is easier to get behind.

6.  Both are 30mm tube, both are illuminated, both have exposed turrets, both are quite functional as 5-20X optics.

Of the 2, I prefer the SS. SFP vs FFP is a very big differentiator.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2012 at 15:25
And, forgot to add, the glass in the SS seemed a bit sharper to my eye, while the glass in the Trijicon seems a bit brighter - all at roughly equal power settings.

tominct View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2012 at 21:10
Thank you for your input.  Either of these is over kill for any purpose I might realistically conjure up.  The brightness of the image sounds appealing. I have never owned a FFP scope.  Of course the fact the references stay in synch as you change magnification is the obvious plus - but curious - as you increase magnification does the thickness of the crosshairs become excessive? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2012 at 11:38
Originally posted by tominct tominct wrote:

Thank you for your input.  Either of these is over kill for any purpose I might realistically conjure up.  The brightness of the image sounds appealing. I have never owned a FFP scope.  Of course the fact the references stay in synch as you change magnification is the obvious plus - but curious - as you increase magnification does the thickness of the crosshairs become excessive?  

It varies, scope to scope.  One drawback of some reticle designs and magnification ranges (using FFP reticles) is that the reticle is usually either too small at the bottom end or too large at the top end.  

With these 2 scopes, the SS is a bit small at the bottom, but is visible and usable.  In contrast, the SFP Trijicon reticle (mil dot) is heavy.  It is heavy at the top of the mag range, it is heavy at the bottom, and is heavy everywhere else too.  For some, that is no bother; for me, it was a big bother, too much obstructed target.

If the 5-20 is overkill, I'd recommend you look at the SS3-9 and Trijicon 3-9.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic