OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

marlin x7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: marlin x7
    Posted: December/06/2012 at 13:51
I was looking at a firearms magazine(can't recall the name) in the checkout line in a grocery store this morning. They were comparing low dollar accurate bolt rifles like wby vanguard and so on.
The marlin x7 was consistently shooting 1/4 inch or less groups with factory loads - at under $400 with the short action weighing in around the six pound mark.

Anyone have one of these?? Seems like a great deal.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 16:10
I have one with a camo stock in 25-06. It shoots MOA or a bit better with 115gr Berger Hunting VLDs. I like the trigger, similar to Savage's Accutrigger. Plan on replacing the plastic trigger guard with an aluminum one from a Marlin .22 to get the proper torque on the rear action screw. Try to find an older one with a JM stamped barrel, to get an original Marlin before Remington bought them out.
As it only has a 22" barrel I use it in my treestand for whitetails.
Got this buck with it this Nov.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 16:28
My son has one in 30-06 that will shoot 1/4" groups with boring regularity. And I had one of the laminated stock one's, also in 30-06 that would shoot almost as good. 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 16:30
Very nice Buck WYcoyote!Excellent
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 16:35
Originally posted by WYcoyote WYcoyote wrote:

I have one with a camo stock in 25-06. It shoots MOA or a bit better with 115gr Berger Hunting VLDs. I like the trigger, similar to Savage's Accutrigger. Plan on replacing the plastic trigger guard with an aluminum one from a Marlin .22 to get the proper torque on the rear action screw. Try to find an older one with a JM stamped barrel, to get an original Marlin before Remington bought them out.
As it only has a 22" barrel I use it in my treestand for whitetails.
Got this buck with it this Nov.

Nice and heavy.
Hudge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2013 at 01:44
I have 2. One XS7 in .308, and one XL7 SS in .270. The .308 action is a lot smoother so far, but I have only had the .270 for two months. I got both for $250 each. My son and I both killed a whitetail buck with the .308 in 2011 before moving to AK. It will do 1/2" groups with 150 and 165 gr. Fusions. I recommend them very much, especially for a second gun. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic