OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spotting scope or nightforce scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spotting scope or nightforce scope
    Posted: December/06/2012 at 06:25
Ok, so here's my issue. I have enough disposable income for either a decent spotting scope and scope or a really epic scope.

My options are

Bushnell 6500 elite scope and Bushnell legend Ultra HD 20-60

Or

Nightforce NSX 5.5x22x50

How far could I see holes in normal paper with the nightforce, and would it be ANY kind of substitute for the spotting scope.

I know nightforce do the bench scopes with high magnification, but this scopes only home won't be on the bench.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 07:36
It seems as if you need to provide more info regarding your total usage parameters of said prospective purchases. That said, I'd generally opt for a spotting scope and a decent rifle scope separately. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 09:30
More overall details on what kind of shooting you want to do and how far would be good. But in general NF glass isn't that great so don't expect to see holes well beyond 300 on 22X. And that will depend on almost zero mirage and some very clear air...even lighting.
Personally, between the choices I'd rather have a NF F1 and walk down and see my holes. But if you want to spot while shooting or have someone do it with you, probably the lesser scope and decent spotter.
Reaction time is a factor...
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 09:32
I've compared my Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 spotting scope to both my Premier LT rifle scope & my Zeiss FL 7x42 binos & have found every time the spotting scope revealed more info.Now if I had a scope that had a mag as big as 80 that might be a game changer!

My Bushnell has HD glass as does the Zeiss binos,not sure about the Premier but the florite glass comes into it's own at longer distances & for exceptional color resolution.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 09:34
I would seek another scope if you are wanting to have more clarity. While the nightforce does have one of best reputations for its tracking ability, the clarity is is not equal. A good spotting scope will allow you to see holes farther than an equvilant value riflescope, if this is your goal.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 09:40
Good point 3,for the same price & better clarity check out IOR's line.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 12:16

Budget would also be helpful.
Smako View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 20:42
Okay, firstly with regards to my budget, I'm in Australia and prices vary from the US. typically, in Australia, we pay a premium for everything.

That said, my budget is around 1900-2000. The cost of a brand new Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50 is $1969 and the price of the bushnell + spotting scope is around $1900.

The spotting scope I was looking to purchase can see .308 groups at around 200-300 yards. I was wondering about the visual clarity of the nightforce and the distance to which I could see my groups. I have no expectations or delusions of seeing groups past 300-400 yards, and with the spotting scope or the nightforce. Also, I have no intention of spending $3000 on a spotting scope to see 800-1000 yards and then have to deal with huge mirage issues.

So basically, I want to know how far I can see my groups with the nightforce. I live in a small town and the local gun shops don't keep such high end equipment in stock, so I cannot try before I buy. It sucks but that's the way it is.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic