OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Multi use optic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi use optic
    Posted: December/04/2012 at 16:36
Hey,

I've read a lot of post before, but never have posted anything. I was looking for an optic to put on my AR-15 platform. The main purpose of this optic is for accurate engagements from 200-400 yards.

The second role for the optic is to spot for my wife out to 1000yrds. My wife and I do a lot of precision shooting in the deserts. We pack light so I would like to use my rifle to spot rather than a spotting scope. We mainly shoot at steel, so I don't need to go overboard on magnification.

Main features needed are.
Mil/Mil
FFP
Illuminated reticle
Mil-dot
Somewhat light weight
And preferably under $750

Any help would be much appreciated.

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2012 at 18:20
No Scope that I can think of will do what you need.

Possibly Look at Vortex PST but I cannot say it is exactly what you want.

It seems to meet your needs but it is a little lacking in optical clarity and brightness at higher magnification.

The Vortex Viper® PST™ (Precision Shooting Tactical) is designed and built to deliver consistently repeatable accuracy – regardless of range. Available in six models with a choice of reticles in either the first or second focal plane, Vortex Viper PSTs are built on one-piece 30mm tubes machined from aircraft-grade 6061–T6 aluminum for optimum strength and rigidity – and ample room for extreme range elevation adjustment. With XD extra-low dispersion glass objectives offering superior resolution and color along with the durability to withstand the harshest conditions, it is no mystery why the Vortex Viper PST became an instant hit.

Features:

• XD extra-low dispersion glass increases resolution and color fidelity, resulting in crisp, sharp images.
  • XR fully multi-coated lenses increase light transmission for maximum brightness.
  • ArmorTek® protects exterior lenses from scratches, oil and dirt.
  • Argon gas purging guarantees superior fogproof and waterproof performance.
  • Shockproof construction withstands recoil and impact.
  • 4x zoom range.
  • Solid one-piece tube constructed of aircraft-grade aluminum alloy.
  • Hard-anodized black matte finish.
  • Choice of matching mrad or MOA turrets / reticles.
  • Illuminated glass-etched ranging reticle.
  • Choice of first or second focal plane in most configurations/models.
  • CRS (Customizable Rotational Stop) system prevents turret from traveling more than one revolution below sight-in zero.
  • MAG-View fiber optic magnification indicator.
Displaying items 1 - 13 of 13Sort:  < name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$SortResults" id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_SortResults" ="sorting">  < ed="ed" value="Name ASC">By Name (A -> Z)  < value="Name DESC">By Name (Z -> A)  < value="IsFeatured DESC, Name ASC">Featured  < value="Price ASC">By Price (Low to High)  < value="Price DESC">By Price (High to Low)  < value="Manufacturer ASC">By Manufacturer (A -> Z)  < value="Manufacturer DESC">By Manufacturer (Z -> A) 
Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST 30mm Rifle ScopeVortex 1-4x24 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PST14STM
  • Matte
  • TMCQ Mil Reticle
  • 30mm
  • .20 Mil Adjustmetns
$499.95
Add Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl01_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1738_0" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl01$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1738$0">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl01_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1738_1" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl01$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1738$1">
No one
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2012 at 18:47
The SS #-9 kind of fits that bill pretty well...
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Cube View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 11:46
Thanks for the quick response. I'm torn between the swfa 3-9 (lacking illumination) and the leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 (lacking FFP). Thanks again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 12:30
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Cube View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 13:53
Thanks for the great reviews. I guess I can't really loose either way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic