OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help With First Scope Purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadwolv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help With First Scope Purchase
    Posted: December/03/2012 at 20:37
G'day, I am new here, but have been reading many posts on here and decided to join. That way I can ask further questions.

Anyway, I am looking for my first scope and I am tossing up between a few of them. I think I want to go Mil/Mil but not too sure as yet. I am looking for an all rounder scope that will satisfy my needs for target and hunting. I would like to get out to medium range shots. Most hunting will be rabbits and foxes, but will probably go up to pigs. 

The rifle: Although I have not bought it yet, I am 90% sure this will be it; Tikka T3 Hunter .223

The scopes:

1. Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50
2. Sightron S3 6-24X50
3. Bushnell Elite 2.5-16X42
4. Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44

I am also open to other suggestions if you believe they will better suit my needs.

I would greatly appreciate your help with this as I am spending many hours reading forums and stuff but really don't appear to be getting anywhere with it. Once I get some good opinions on it I will go to my LGS and have a look through the glass, but it is quite a drive to my LGS so would like some feedback first.

Thanks in advance,

Bigbadwolv
Better to be trialled by 12, than carried by 6
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 21:16
Glass wise, Zeiss is going to be on top, but they don't offer mil adjustments on the Conquest scopes. Sightron is probably going to be next in glass, and get really good reviews on their target knobs. Vortex would be my probable pick, simply because of all they do to support shooting sports and they are the only one to offer FFP on this list. Bushnell is making great strides, but this particular scope doesn't offer what the rest do other than a great mag-range.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 21:33
Zeiss and the Tikka is a good choice. They offer two twists of barrels I belive a 1 in 8 which is great for the 69gr through 77 gr bullets and the 1 in 12 which is for the 50 gr bullets. I prefer the heavy bullets.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 22:27
Also put the Weaver Tactical 3-15 on your list.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 22:48
+1 Weaver Tactical very clear for the money.
Old Mil ftw
bigbadwolv View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadwolv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 23:26
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Zeiss and the Tikka is a good choice. They offer two twists of barrels I belive a 1 in 8 which is great for the 69gr through 77 gr bullets and the 1 in 12 which is for the 50 gr bullets. I prefer the heavy bullets.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting the 1 in 8.  

Thanks for the replies guys, I will definitely add the Weaver Tactical to the list and have a look :)
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadwolv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 23:44
I can't edit post, so please excuse the extra post...

I think I will also add the Swarovski Z3 4-12X50 and the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14X50 to the list..
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 23:47
+1 tikka/zeiss
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadwolv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2012 at 16:26
Again, I can't edit OP so I was thinking also the Minox ZA-5 3-15x50
Laserrs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laserrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2012 at 17:19
Zeiss with a rapid z reticle, no knob turning ;)      
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadwolv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2012 at 23:25
Anyone else have an opinion?
Laserrs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laserrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2012 at 07:07
My Zeiss 4.5-14x50 with z800 is quite nice. H e you had a chance to look through any of your options?
icelk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2012 at 17:25
+1 for the Elite
I have recently owned the Zeiss 4.5-14, Leupold vx3 6.5-20 lr, and the elite6500.  

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadwolv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 00:03
No I haven't had a chance to look through the glass as yet, will do when I get a chance, hopefully next week
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadwolv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 02:06
Decision is made, I will be buying the Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 was beautiful glass and very light! The glass of the conquest didn't even compare, and it beat the duralyt too!
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 05:01
Welcome to the OT! Good choice picking the Swaro Z3,you didn't mention price but ass u me ing it's mid range,I would also look at the Leicas.

Don,t forget a good set of rings like the light weight 1 piece Tallies.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
greenejc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenejc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2012 at 07:11
What do you consider medium range?  If you're going to try to extend range to 400-500 meters (450 to 550yds, I would suggest a flatter shooting weapon/caliber.  Maybe 22-250 or .243, first.  If you're going to stay with .223 Rem, and inside say, 300meters, keep it simple and go with a Pentax or a Loupold VXII.  3x9 variable will allow you to be precise out to 400 yds and with the BDC reticle you can experiment at various ranges to see which aimpoint to use.  The reticle is good to about 500yds with the .223.  For your first scope on a low-recoil rifle, just keep it simple.  You don't need a high-dollar Superscope for a first scope. 
35 Whelen forever
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic