OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Case Splits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Case Splits
    Posted: December/03/2012 at 07:47
Need some insight on an issue I discovered this weekend.  I was shooting my 300 WSM to verify zero and was having all kind of fits with it.  5-8" groups, no consitancy.  I gave up and went in.  Took the spent rounds and deprimed them and tossed them in the tumbler to clean.  A few hours later I was resizing them when I noticed about half the rounds had splits all around the shoulder/neck area of the case.  I pulled the remaining 4 loaded factory rounds and looked at them and no splits.  I went and bought another box of factory ammo at walmart being I did not have any brass and demons gone, three shots in the same hole.   Could faughty brass be to cause of the original problem?  I've saved the brass that didn't have splits but thinking I should probably toss it too, agree?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 08:06
How many times have they been reloaded?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 08:09
None, factory loaded cases.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 08:25
Now that is a KunnundrumShocked
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 08:30
Might be that you got a load of factory ammo that didn't get proper annealing.

That's just a guess mind you, but I reckon it could explain your experience.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 08:36

No-one will really know!! The statistical sample is just to small. I would rather toss the brass and save yourself a lot of guessing, cussing and frustration.

It could be more then the split brass. Reason could be incorrect powder charge causing the splits and hence erratic grouping yaddah yaddah....

Just toss them and be done.
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 20:45
If it´s Sellier&Bellot ammo it´s almost a rule that you get split cases now and then.

It happened when I started shooting my Mosin 7,62x54R, I bought Sellier&Bellot ammo 5 or 6 times before I started reloading, the split cases bugged me so I ordered 100 cases from Lapua. Never had a split case since.....

We have the same issues at the shooting range, the club buys bulk ammo 6,5x55, .308 and 30-06, there´s always a problem with sticky / stuck bolts and split necks when they´ve bought Sellier&Bellot ammo........

Life is nice, use good brass and stay happy - and healthy.

Gerry Atric

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2012 at 02:41
Ditto to 8-shots' comments.

If the problem repeats with reputable factory ammo (and safe reloads of same), have a gunsmith check your rifle.

Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2012 at 23:46
Sounds like your split brass is defective because the other lot brass did not split. I think if the shoulder of the brass was split if would additionally indicate bad brass.

Possibly you might get a lot number and get back to the manufacturer.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 07:28
Had the same thing happen in a 7mad with factory win loads. it was just loaded to hot for that rifle. necks would split and then some would just have a hole in the bottle of the neck. I didn't notice until after the box was shot. never had any other ammo do this or now even hand loads don't. just something was amis in the factory box I had. i looked at the brass with split neck and it had some pretty nicely dented primers and brass forming to the firing pin hole.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 07:57
I didnt' even notice the split necks until after I'd deprimed and cleaned.  can't return them like they are they'd say I reloaded them.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 08:35
yeah, just write it off and move on. Its better you made it out safe.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 09:21
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I didnt' even notice the split necks until after I'd deprimed and cleaned.  can't return them like they are they'd say I reloaded them.
Your not filing a claim for damage, your making them aware of a safety and product issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic