OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Please help me with my scope problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help me with my scope problem
    Posted: December/02/2012 at 11:52
Dear All friends. Hello
This is my first post and would be really very grateful to you guys for helping me out with my scope problem. Most important thing I would like to tell is that I am from Asia so cannot send the scope back to the manufacturer.

I bought a Burris Eliminator Laser scope with built in range finder rifle scope (4X-12X-42mm ) last month for about $1000 (conversion in my currency).

Before putting on the rifle I bring the scope dial to the centre i.e 114 clicks on both sides. I put it on my CZ 550 Lux 308 rifle and go to the range. Fire 3 shots at 25 yards and they are 3 inches to the left. I rotate the dial to the right and after 34 or so clicks the dial has reached its limit. I put some pressure not much to achieve 2 more clicks and then stopped. Fired 3 rounds and they were hitting 1 inch to the left. Fired at 200 yards and it hit approx 8 inches to the left. I packed u and returned home.

Today after a week I started clicking in the opposite direction ( to the left ) and the dial wont just reach its limit after rotating more than 500 clicks. Then I noticed that whatever number of clicks I rotate to the right or left, the limit is not reached and the cross hairs dont move on the target. I also noticed that the elevation dial which was first 125 total clicks is now reduced to 52 clicks. The scope is not mounted too high as I put it on the rifle with its original mounts.

Would be very grateful to anyone who can help me out with my problem myself,  as there are no scope mechanics in my part of the world and as I said that I cannot send the scope to the manufacturer as I am from Asia.

Awaiting replies and thanks in advance.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 12:38
The maximum elevation and windage is with the scope at mechanical dead center. If you move the scope windage off mechanical center the elevation range is reduced. The same with elevation the windage is reduced. Results of a round lens system. Never force the limits at maximum adjustment or you may damage the adjustment mechanism. To achieve the most adjustment range the scope has it may be necessary to use a base or rings that also have adjustment to put the scope as close as possible to mechanical center. I hope this helps.
Welcome to the OT.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 21:12
Where did you get your scope? Did you buy it direct from the U.S. or did you get it locally? There are factory reruns and even scopes assembled out of either defective or smuggled out parts here in asia. And some scrupulous dealers can market it as new even with the box and all.
Anyway assuming you got your scope from a good source, the common problem i have heard from people here who got them was over torquing the mounts or using the scope on a gun with low quality or off set weaver rails, with the limited range of the scope and with improper torque or off set rails, the scope may run out of adjustment either vertically or horizontally or both. What follows next in the case the scope runs out of adjustment the uninformed user either forces or tries to get a little more extra adjustment which may break the turrets of the scope.
In the case your unfortunate enough to get a non legit scope, what may happen is that the rings for it are not the official rings. A friend of mine had one and although the  eliminator 1 scope he got appeared to be in perfect working condition, one of the mounts was original, while the other was not so when mounted the scope was out of alignment vertically and he ran out of adjustments when zeroing his rig.
I have an eliminator 2 scope which i got directly from the u.s., on my model if i range it then i change the magnification it adjusts the dot as advertized to provide proper aiming despite the change in magnification. Problem is the scope would not turn off automatically if i do this, i have to click or activate the laser rangefinder again when i move the zoom after ranging otherwise my battery will run dry after a day or two in storage. It's a small but significant hassle if you don't know the way around the problem. I was just wondering if this is a common problem with the eliminator 2 or i just got a lemon. Kinda bummed because in my case, i paid close to $2000 to legally acquire the scope and like you, i'm from asia and although i could return the scope, it would take quite a bit of hassle, money, and paperwork to ship the scope back to the u.s. and more paperwork to get the scope back in. It is also a great irony because the scope is manufactured practically in a neighboring city and they do not accept repairs directly there. Shocked

Azam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2012 at 01:50
Thanks for the reply in such detail. I bought it locally through an advertisement. The scope seemed to be genuine. Among the amongst the reasons you described I think some how I broke the turrets of the windage dial.

Now the question is can you help me and give me some tips on how to fix the turrets or is it not possible. Shocked
greenejc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenejc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2012 at 04:49
It will have to be sent in to a dealer or the factory.  If you try to repair it yourself, you will loose the nitrogen fill and probably damage the electronics due to moisture contamination.  You will then have a  $1000.00 scope that is essentially worthless. 
35 Whelen forever
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic