OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need scope for new 35 whelen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need scope for new 35 whelen
    Posted: December/01/2012 at 19:59
Hello everyone, I just bought a Ruger M77 .35 whelen.  I'd like to get some opinions on which scope to put on it.  Options are limited because i'd like a silver scope to match the barrel.  I dont want to spend more than $400.  Thanks in advance.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 07:48
I'd recommend you check out the Sightron closeout deals now going on. A very nice SII 3-9 x 42 in silver would fit your criteria. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 14:25
+1 on the Sightron. A few years ago everyone was making silver scopes, not so much these days.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 16:30
+2 on the sightron
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
kaptainQ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 21:24
Maybe i'm wrong about wanting a silver scope.  The rifle has black synthetic stock.  Would a black matte scope look better?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 22:51
Black stock, black scope looks good to me.

It is tough to beat the Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 for $400.
-Matt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 06:04
For years I tried to match silver scopes with SS rifles. It never seemed to work out perfectly (to suit my OCD)! I finally gave up and put black on everything. I do (usually) put gloss scopes on high polished blued rifles though. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 07:25
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

For years I tried to match silver scopes with SS rifles. It never seemed to work out perfectly (to suit my OCD)! I finally gave up and put black on everything. I do (usually) put gloss scopes on high polished blued rifles though. 

Ric, I  believe many others have come to the same conclusion. Matte black scope and rings looks great on a stainless barrel IMO.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 07:34
You'll chase gremlins trying to match a stainless gun and silver scope just like they mentioned above.  The "tone" of the silver never match and if your particular, it will bother you.   I'll through out a bone for the zeiss conquest in 3-9.  Very good scope and in your budget.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mosdawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 16:16
I'd have to agree on the meopta i just bought a meostar and it is outstanding havent looked through the meo pro but im thinking about ordering one for another one of my guns.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 17:28
I think a black scope in black rings looks damn good on a black and stainless rifle. I also agree that the meopta meopro 3-9x42 is a very nice scope. However, if you go with a black scope then I still think the deals on sightron are going to be really tough to beat, especially since you can get the sightron sii big sky (black)for about half of your 400 dollar budget!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
RMc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2012 at 22:15
 The Leupold 3x20-FX-II would be my choice for a Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen.  Enough magnification for virtually all "targets of interest" with a medium bore.  No length related mounting worries.
The 3x20-FX-II represents a simple, lightweight and rugged scope for the serious hunter.

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 13:53
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36, Monarch 2.8x32 would be a couple of my choices.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
kaptainQ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 20:22
For some reason i'm thinking i want something with 4-12 magnification.  My dad is a fan of the Nikon Pro Staff.  Would that scope hold up to the recoil of the 35 whelen?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic