OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ideal scope for .338lapua?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ideal scope for .338lapua?
    Posted: March/31/2006 at 14:20
Hi there!
I have a question about a scope/rifle match for a rifle that  am currently having built for me.
It is a 28# heavy bull barrel on a sako trg-s action, all of that to be bedded in a mc-millan a5. So it will become a rather "tactical", "long range" kind of rig, though its real world use will be mainly for hunting purposes.
Now, I have two scopes that i can mount on the rifle: one a Leupold VX III 4.5-14x50 with a 1# tube, no parallax adjustment, unilluminated duplex reticle. 2nd. focal plane, hunting style turrets.
The other a Zeiss T 2.5-10x48 with a 30mm tube, no parallax adjustment, illuminated ret. (german nr. 4), 1st focal plane, hunting style turrets.
Now, of course a possible answer could be neither scope is best for that kind of gun. All I´m asking is: which one would You mount? I would favor the Zeiss, because of its compact size and greater magnification range. But I am curious what guys far more knowledgeable than I am think about this.
Greetings, Stephan
"The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2006 at 17:46

Probably go Leupold for the added magnifacation, Sir.

Welcome to The OT!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2006 at 19:30
Well, your right...neither. But of the two...Cheaptrick is right in my book. That 338 is intended for some long range work, so more mag will be a plus for sure.
Can you see me now...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2006 at 10:39
Im definately the Leupold guy in the crowd butI have to differ on this I would say 338Lapua in a hunting gun is likely to be used for Large North American Game possibly African Game and as such the posibility of encountering dangerous game at close range is a valid concern. You man be hunting for a 600 yd Elk and wind up with a 30yd Grizzly  Bear.  I think the fact that the Zeiss has an illuminated reticle is also highly desirable since shots close to dark are likely. Also the 30mm tube may have more MOA internal adjustment than the 70moa of the 1 inch tube( I dont have the numbers for the Zeiss)  So based on that reasoning I would mount the Zeiss.  Both are good scopes and if the use was long range sniping they woud be the wrong scope but for hunting both are adequate.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2006 at 10:53

Neither scope, IMHO, is really "ideal".

To keep your magnifacation of the Loppie, just run a 20 MOA Picatinney rail and that will solve the lack of "up" you get from a 1" tube.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Stephan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2006 at 03:56
Thanks a lot to  all  who´ve  answered, that sheds some light on my question.  Thats 3 to 1 for the leupold... I don´t think I will be using the gun for dangerous game, since the whole rig simply will be too heavy for anything but hunting from a stand. So the Leupold it is.
Thanks guys!
"The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!"
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2006 at 22:19

From a Stand? How far out are you planning on shooting your deer? I dont think elk are usually hunted from a stand they are usually stalked. I'm a little shocked at choice of caliber for hunting from a stand for deer. (tie yourself to the tree and hope the recoil doesnt knock you out of the stand)  I guess I've spent too much time bow hunting. Sorry about that - if you had said you were shooting from the truck-- I mean hunting from the stand I would have said use the one with more magnification. The choice of caliber led me to believe that you were hunting something big. 

Never the less my son shot an arrow through a mountain lion at Camp Dodge on the North side of Des Moines from a ground blind at 15ft -  I saw it happen, and DNR says there aren't any mountain lions here - so you never know what you are going find when you venture into the woods.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2006 at 04:19

Butch up and kill that freakin' deer from a mile away.

Chris

cd100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cd100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2006 at 00:31

What is that?????    I wan't one!!!!!!!

" Go get'em BigDaddy"

You obviously aren't hunt'in in alabama.

Czech

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2006 at 14:23
That's Sako's new   TRG42  muzzleloader    for deer hunting.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cd100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cd100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 02:52

Looks like one of them single shot Thompsan Contenders..........

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 20:57

cd100,

The biggest buck in Alabama I know of ( a 15 point monster ) was taken on I-459 just east of hwy 150 going toward Gadsen,

with a Buick.    

We have lots of deer, just not a lot of size. 1 buck 1 doe a day, for most of 4 months.  Yes, a .338 Lapua would be overkill. But a .270 or .308 will load a deep freezer.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Critter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 00:16
If I were going to build a long range rifle, I would probably consider the USO SN-9, as shown below:

But then, what do I know.   

4-22x58 Ergo Lit MOA Scale.

Edited by Critter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic