OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

WEAVER GRAND SLAM 4.5X14X40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J powell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WEAVER GRAND SLAM 4.5X14X40
    Posted: November/29/2012 at 18:33
HI IM LOOKING TO BUY A WEAVER GRAND SLAM IN 4.5X14X40 . JUST WANTING TO HERE SOME OPIONS HOW DO THEY COMPARE TO A NIKON MONARCH . THANKS
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2012 at 19:10
Welcome to the OT! IMO the grand slam is a fantastic optic,but I would have to give the nod to the monarch.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 21:32
I have a Super Slam series scope.  Not sure how the glass compares to the Grand Slam series.  I also have a Monarch UCC.  The Monarch UCC is a nice scope, but it's not as nice as the Super Slam.  Thus, my perspective would be that, even if the Grand Slam doesn't have as good glass, it'll be as good as or better than the Monarch.
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 01:10
I have 4 GS scopes including a 4.5-14X40. This is a good, high optic quality, scope with accurate adjustments. My oldest one is 12 years old.

The adjustments are very consistent but the markings on the knobs are very fine and quickly wear off. I have used silver auto touch up paint on the top of the knobs to mark each minute. Indexing or setting the knobs once a zero has been made involves the use of a tiny philips screw driver on 2 tiny screws (don't lose these) to allow the knob to be set. The rubber parallax and power rings are easy to turn but the markings on them quicky wear off but they can be remarked.

When I first bought these scopes I compared them to Leupold VXIII's and VX3 scopes by looking at deer (unmounted - no rifle) in the field in back of my house at dusk. There was very little difference between the 2. Only the newer VX3's appeared to have some edge. Weaver claims the GS scopes have 94% light transmission. The GS scopes are longer and weigh more than comparible Leupolds

In short a good buy despite some minor faults.

Another worthy GS scope is the 6-20X40 which is my favorite GS scope. Same size but more power and the varmit reticle is a good choice. At the low end 6X is not much of a disadvantage to 4.5 but 20X sure brings things closer including spotting bullet holes more than 200 yds out.
J powell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J powell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 00:22
thanks for your opions  i think im going to get the 3.5-10x50. 
most of my shooting will be 200-400 metres for deer and chamois. does anyone have ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic