OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for an HM2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KStig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for an HM2
    Posted: November/26/2012 at 16:16
Picked up a CZ 452 Varminter in .17 Mach 2 the Saturday.  I put a 3x9 Bushnell on it just so I could burn up some rounds......mission accomplished.  I thought 9x would be enough. After shooting micro groups I realized I was wrong, 9x isn't going to cut it.

So I'm looking at the 2.5x10-44 and the 3.5x10-50 Sightron's listed on this sight. The I find a Weaver 3.8x12-44 for only $20 more but the Weaver weighs almost 50% more than the Sightron's.

Looking to pop squirrel heads in tree tops rarely over 50 or so yards and head shots on whistle pigs out to maybe 100 yards.

I think I've decided on the one of the Sightron's. But which one? Leaning  towards the 2.5x10.

What about parallax problems?

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2012 at 10:44
First off shooting at squirrels in the tree tops is a REALLY BAD IDEA! You have no idea where the bullet is going when you miss. Know what is behind your target. A 22LR shot into the air could go a mile and a half before it comes back down and a 17HM2 is probably even farther. And do not even begin to tell me you never miss.

And as far as parallax problems, I have an AO on all of my rimfire rifles. And if you do not what an AO or side focus I would be looking at a rimfire scope since they are generally set for about 50yds where as a centerfire scope is set for about 100yds. But different scopes may vary from those values.
shawn1885 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn1885 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2012 at 19:53
What....  Please.  lots of hunters use rimfire for squirrel hunting and yes many times those shots are UP IN THE TREES.  

I have several HM2's for that very purpose it is regarded by many as the ideal squirrel round.  My favorite scope for this round is a 4.5 x14 Leo.  Great scope for chasing squirrels.

I also have a nice 3x9EFR Leo on one of my other HM2's and it is a nice match for this gun as well.

Get yourself a nice scope and head out to the woods and search the tree tops for some bushytails.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic