OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a new .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a new .308
    Posted: November/24/2012 at 15:16
Ok, long story short, sold a buddy of mine a rifle I let his kid borrow to deer hunt with. The kid killed his first deer with it yesterday, and the guy basicaly tried to overpay me to keep the gun. I have about 1K to spend on the rifle, it will be used mainly on targets, may shoot a few deer from a stand, will not be walking around with it. Anyone have any good ideas on wear to start for a good, quality made rifle, that will drive tacks to about 500 yds, preforably in, .308, 300 win mag, 7mm mag, or 300 RUM? Don't care about recoil, I kind of like it, have shot these calibers extensivly with and without brakes and know exactly what I am asking for, and how to hunt with them when needed.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 16:55
Has anyone heard anything or had any experience with the Browning abolt long range hunters yet?
rocket99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocket99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 18:25
Tikka or a Sako with a Zeiss Conquest. 300 Win Mag cant be beat
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 18:44
I would be looking at a Rem 700 SS with the 5R barrel. They are hard to find but very accurate and are available in both 308 and 300wm(223 as well). I have one in 308 and would not give it up and have my eye on one in 300wm. They have been talked about here, so do a search for some more info on the 5R.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 19:24
Yeah rocket, the 300 winmag is awesome, my dad has a TC Encore in 300 win mag, custom barrel, awesome rifle. I already have a Meopta scope to put on one. Sparky, I have found the rifle you mentioned, and it is a verry strong candidate. Have you had to do any triger work on it? I have had to change the triger on every 700 I have dealt with, I am hoping to get ahold of something I can toss a scope on and get to the load developement.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 20:01
I would try a savage with the accutrigger they are adjustable but you don't really need to.

They are consistently 1/2 or 1/4 shooters and they are price very competitively, you don't need to spend Sako, or Cooper money to get one that shoots.
No one
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 20:12
+1 tikka

Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 20:35
Yeah .338, I have been looking at the savages also, I have one at the gunsmith right now that I never shot. Savage has so many different models and configurations that it's crazy. My cousin has a Tikka in 300wsm, it is definatly a tack driver also, I don't care much for the triger on it either though, I wonder what it would take to get it right.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 20:58
The Xmark trigger that came with my 5R was okay, but I wanted an upgrade and so I went with a Rifle Basix trigger. For a target rifle I prefer a heavy barrel and that is why I went with the Rem 5R.

burner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2012 at 03:05
I actually just went through this process- similiar budget as you with the same goals in mind. hear more bad than good about remington lately. Browning X bolts are nice guns, tikkas will certainly 
get the job done and are light(if a little ugly) tons of good guns in this market for our budget with modern machining its harder to find a gun that wont do the job. 

but the new Winchester model 70 is spectacular. extremely positive reviews since its release- thats what Id go for 
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2012 at 05:23
SS 5R Remmy all the way.I just purchased another with the new threaded 20" barrel.Great gun out of the box if you can find one!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic