OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sorting scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotefenetre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sorting scopes
    Posted: March/28/2006 at 07:26

I always look to the wide range of optics currently available with great attention but I never found a way to tell which scope is better in some way than another. That's why I would like you to sort the following list for me:

Overall quality, life expectancy, maximum caliber to use with them, holding 0 ...

Bushnell Banner; B. Sharpshooter; B. Sportsman; B. Trophy
Nikon Pro-Staff
Tasco Varmint
Simmons (worthy of consideratoin?)
BSA (worthy of consideration?)

Initially, I'll put the scope on a 22lr but later I'll move it to a 8mm Mauser rifle. I'm looking for 4x; 3-9X; 2-7x; 2.5-10x. 32mm or 40mm diameter and, either, 1" or 30mm tubes. Duplex or, better, MilDot. To be used in ranges 25y to 150 yards.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 14:42

Simmons has a number of models, with their top of the line Aetec being significantly more expensive than other scopes in your line up.

I am not a big fan of Simmons, but they have recently revamped their line-up and the jury is still out.

Of the other ones in your list Bushnell Trophy is the best one.  I would not bother with the rest of them.

ILya

cotefenetre View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotefenetre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 15:43

Thank you Koshkin!

You say the Bushnell Trophy line is the best and I trust you, but what makes the others to be below that threshold?

How can I know whether those Simmons will be suitable for the job?

I always read that the most expensive scope is going to be the best. I never believed so. That's the same as saying that a $100,000 car is way much better than a $30,000.  Sure it got some extra bells and whistles but there're plenty of $30,000 cars out there which deserve good reputation. Even sometimes the manufacturers increase the MSRP just to fit their products in a higher niche. Is it the same with scopes? How can I know more about it?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 16:00

Well, the most expensive scopes are better than less expensive ones.  How much better is arguable of course.  I think there is a law of diminishing returns here.  A $1200 scope is not twice better than a $600 scope, IMO.

The way I see it, the sweet spot of optics right now is in the $300 to $600 range.  That's where you get the most for your money, without giving up singficant performance.  As technology improves and manufacturing becomes more efficient this range moves lower.  Nowadays, there are a few very decent scopes in the $200 ballpark.  There are some scopes that are better than somemore expensive stuff, but by and large you get what you pay for.

The scopes you listed are by and large low end scopes that are hard to recommend.  Trophy is the best out of those. 

Tasco is chicom crap for the most part. 

Nikon makes very good scopes, with a notable exception of Pro-staff.  It does not deserve to be called a Nikon. 

SImmons scopes show some promise but the redesign is too recent for me to recommend them.

The differences are in glass quality, adjustment reliability, ability to hold zero.

Try looking through a $600 Burris Black Diamond and through a $150 Tasco in low light and you'll see what I mean.

ILya

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 23:19
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Of the other ones in your list Bushnell Trophy is the best one.  I would not bother with the rest of them.

ILya

I've had very bad experience with Bushnell Trophy- when I bought it-it rattled,then it was repaired and mounted on 8mm Mauser-it didn't hold zero-that was the last cheap Bushnell scope for me.

Just my 0,02$

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2006 at 01:13
Every scope line has a lemon here and there.  I've had some very good experiences with Trophy.  Anyhow, as I said, out of the scopes he listed...

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotefenetre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2006 at 06:04

Nowadays, there are a few very decent scopes in the $200 ballpark.

What scopes do you think deserve to be in that $200 ballpark?

Would some of the following scopes be in your list?

Burris Full Field II 3-9X

Leupold's VX-I Standard Multicoat 2-7x33

Leupold's VX-I Standard Multicoat 3-9x40

Nikon Buckmaster3-9x40

bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2006 at 06:26

Burris FullField 2

Nikon Buckmaster

Spend $450 on a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest and you're right on the heels of any $1200 scope IMO. A lot folks here are more than happy with the FF2 though.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2006 at 15:08
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Nikon makes very good scopes, with a notable exception of Pro-staff.  It does not deserve to be called a Nikon. 

Amen. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotefenetre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2006 at 06:09
I'm going with that Burris FullField II, but I'd love to satisfy my curiosity on what you thing about this: http://www.sutter-gmbh.com/images/partner.jpg (sure it's worse than a Bushnell Trophy, but I don't know for sure).
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotefenetre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2006 at 16:55

How this Russian scope http://www.binocularsmart.com/scopes/ak-akm-svd-rifle-scopes -po-4-10x40.shtml would compare to the Burris?

What would be the maximum price to pay for an "almost new on eBay" Bushnell 3200 scope?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2006 at 18:05

I'd be very cautious with Russian scopes.  POSP and PSO are OK, but I would stay away from conventional scopes.  Their optics are decent for the price, but durability is spotty.  POSP and PSO scopes seem to be a bit better built (I have experiencse with both Belorussian made and Novosibirsk made ones), but they come with a side mount which is primarily works with Eastern block weapons.

As for Elite 3200, that depends on which model it is.  Elite 3200 are rugged and well built scopes with decent glass, although Fullfield II has better glas, IMO.

ILya 

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2006 at 01:56

Originally posted by cotefenetre cotefenetre wrote:

I'm going with that Burris FullField II, but I'd love to satisfy my curiosity on what you thing about this: http://www.sutter-gmbh.com/images/partner.jpg (sure it's worse than a Bushnell Trophy, but I don't know for sure).

That is el-chapo Tasco scope-I've seen many of them fall apart.Stay away from it.And that illuminated reticle is a joke-I've looked through it and when you turn it on you can see bright red light inside the scope tube.It looks like someone mounted red LED in the tube.l

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic