OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

anyone use hearing protection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone use hearing protection?
    Posted: November/21/2012 at 16:04
was wondering what type of hearing protection anyones uses when hunting or shooting at the range....just wanting to be sure im doing what i can to protect hearing...ive never fired a gun without using a muff or plugs....recently ive been using just plugs with a 33 NRR rating and they seem to work well but alot of audiologists say to use both so i will start doing that
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2012 at 16:13
I use both.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2012 at 16:16
Just got these and have been very happy with them - http://swfa.com/Surefire-Sonic-Defenders-P45316.aspx 

Surefire Earpro

Surefire Sonic Defenders
Stock # - SUREP3MPR
  • Medium
  • 1 Pair

EP3 Sonic Defenders® protect your hearing, without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds and conversation. Safe sound levels are allowed to pass through while potentially harmful noises (above 80dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise Braker filter. When even more hearing protection is required—without the need to hear routine sounds or conversations—Sound Defenders' attached stoppers can be inserted. The right/left color-coded Sonic Defenders are made from a soft, hypoallergenic polymer and ergonomically shaped, with a multi-flanged stem, providing a comfortable all-day fit. And their low-profile design means they can be worn while wearing a helmet or mask or while using a phone or headset.

EP3 Sonic Defenders® are double-flanged for a proper fit for most people.

Sold in single left/right set (Medium).

Features

• 16dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) for EP3 Sonic Defenders with stoppers in
  • Lowers potentially dangerous noise levels above 80dB
  • Hear safe sound levels as if you weren't wearing ear plugs
  • Ergonomic design and multi-flanged stem conforms to ear shape for comfort and earpiece retention
  • Made from soft, hypoallergenic, medical-grade polymer
  • Low profile design allows you to keep them in place while wearing a mask, helmet, hat, or while using phone, headphones or supplemental hearing muffs

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2012 at 17:22
I use 25db peltor tacticals you can't get them anymore, the peltor 6s I believe give 22db, they are both battery stereo sound. They are great for me... 
No one
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2012 at 22:51
I always use hearing protection. On the rifle range and when hunting I use Peltor tactical 6. They have a NRR rating of 19dB. Indoors though they are not enough by themselves. So I use some non electronic ones that have a NRR of 26dB.
STONE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STONE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2012 at 23:28
I have been working construction for 25 years and have tried just about everything under the sun. I find these to work the best: http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max
If you shop around you can find a box of 200 for about 25$ I have them stashed just about everywhere. In my glove box,tool bags, rifle case,range bag etc,etc.  They really conform to your ear canal and do a great job of protecting your hearing and I always have them on hand and have plenty to share because sometimes we forget our muffs at home. Nothing wrong with doubleing up with the muffs but for me its a little overkill.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2012 at 21:36
I use the following:
      Skeet and trap:     30dB earmuffs
      Shotgun hunting:  29 dB earplugs (or custom earplugs I had made...no longer available)
      Rifle hunting:        29 dB earplugs (or custom earplugs I had made...no longer available)
      Rifle shooting:      30 dB earmuffs AND 29 dB earplugs
      Pistol shooting:     30 dB earmuffs AND 29 dB earplugs

My hearing is still excellent after 68 years of shooting (and over 75,000 rounds), thanks to these.

Earmuffs with plugs may seem like overkill, but they block a significant amount of additional gunshot noise (possibly transmitted through the bones in your head).  Shoot your rifles (or pistols) with earplugs, then add the muffs, and you'll notice a big difference (if you haven't already damaged your hearing). 

Edited by Longhunter - November/25/2012 at 21:48
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2012 at 22:49
I also like the sonic defefender EP3's. I've thought about a set of those that automaticly block anything over 85. I saw some in a Cabelas cataloge for about $200, but don't know anything about them.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2012 at 12:58
dont forget to plug your nose. sound travels up the nasal passages in your nostrils and goes directly to the ear drums.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2012 at 16:21
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

I use 25db peltor tacticals you can't get them anymore, the peltor 6s I believe give 22db, they are both battery stereo sound. They are great for me... 

Me too. I've had them for a number of years. Work great. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2012 at 16:32
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic