OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Aimpoint redot vs. Eotech holo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teo007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aimpoint redot vs. Eotech holo
    Posted: March/28/2006 at 00:42

Dear Forum members:

I'm looking at buying either an eotech holosight or an aimpoint redot for my  M-4 and a Rem 870.  Cost seems comparable, which sight works better, more versatile for AR plus 12 ga., more durable, better hits fast inside 100 yds?  I can only do one, but which one?

Thanks in advance,

M. Romero

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 02:30

Both sights are great and would serve you well.

I particularly like the Aimpoint a little better because I know it better.

Try both and buy the one which YOU like.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Javali View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 06:34
I use the Aimpoint on my Benelli 9.3x62 and i don't want another.
The Aimpoint is a very good red dot.

Regards
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 08:42

The main difference between the two sights is in the concept of sight placement.

Aimpoints and dots are "forward" mounts, that is they are usually mounted forward of the receiver and are at their best when used in a scout scope set up. Not to say they cannot be mounted to the rear as a scope, it is just that the shooters looses the both eye open advantage. Eo's are primarily a rear mount, standard like a scope mounting, (although I have seen them mounted forward in scout position I did not likel it.). Most dots will lose the red dot in  bright sunlight against an "absorbing backround" (brick wall), much like lasers. Sometimes filter with holes are used to "darken" the field and give contrast the dot. EO's do not have this problem as much, mostly because they use a much thicker "reticle". Without telling us the type of mounting system it is hard to say which would work the best. If you are using a flat receiver M4 your front site will block both. , and if your using a saddle mount on your birdgun, it won't take advantage of the Aimpoint.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

The main difference between the two sights is in the concept of sight placement.

Aimpoints and dots are "forward" mounts, that is they are usually mounted forward of the receiver and are at their best when used in a scout scope set up. Not to say they cannot be mounted to the rear as a scope, it is just that the shooters looses the both eye open advantage.

Dale, not really sure what your saying here.

My Aimpoints have been mounted "to the rear" as you say, and I haven't had any trouble, zero actually, with keeping both eyes open when shooting.

Maybe I misunderstood your statement. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 19:53
Dots can be mounted back-there is no rule. The orginal Aimpoints were designed to be scope replacements and had the adjusments in the base not the tube. Dots have the additional advantage of mounting forward as like in a handgun, such that both eyes are open. Check out a SoCom springfield commercial.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2006 at 07:06
How do the EO's perform in low-light, no-light environments?
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2006 at 09:02
EO's  perform the same as dots, except of the course there is more "red" stuff to keep track of. For me, it is too much and distracting- conversely one could argue that the dots are to small and easy to loose, against a rapidly changing backround. The simpler reticles in the EO's (not the bombsite) seem to be a better compromise.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2006 at 07:43

Dale,

What type of sight would you recommend for low-light shooting situations mounted on a shotgun or a semi-auto carbine of the military persuasion?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic