OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

quality, light 2-7 or 2-8x multipurpose scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quality, light 2-7 or 2-8x multipurpose scope?
    Posted: November/19/2012 at 14:04

Hey optics talk! I'm a total scope newb its good to be here- hoping you can help me out!

I am mounting my first optic soon on my m1a. The rifle has a specific purpose here are my "mission requirements" :)

Hunting within reasonable (for me) ranges 50-300 yards probably.

Range fun + practice

Bear + zombie defense of course! I'm in Canada and have a very healthy bearanoia.

Oh....and it must be light! M14s are heavy enough. Willing to sacrifice some optical quality

Budget is $500ish

Ive ruled out anything 3-9x or greater because i do want to be able to practice quick shots on low magnification at closer ranges.

Leupold vx3 (available with either 2.5 or 1.5 on the low end- would rather a 2-7)
Nikon monarch
Leupold vx2 2-7

TLDR? What's a great light 2-8 x or similar scope?
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 15:17
Welcome to the OT! I would suggest scouring around for a 2-7x32 vortex viper. they are discontinued, but they are still out there, can be had for under 500. and you won't be sacrificing NOTHING.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
jls28 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jls28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 15:56
I like the MIL Vortex Viper pst 2.5 x 10 on mine the reticle is not the best to make out but with the illumination it is very good at lower light.  It replaced a Nikon 2.5 - 10 Monarch X as I loose the Mil Dot just after dusk.  I have it zeroed with 168 federal match at 200 yards and am confortable with My M1A super match out to 700.  I maybe could go farther but My eyes aren't what they used to be.
On the weight you will hump what works and I would go with the best glass you can get that way you don't have to buy twice.

3.5 powern is too much for close shots and no more than 10 is better than say 14/15 (for out to 1000).  I find issue with the higher power on keeping a steady hold unless prone.  My "former marine" budy has no issue with a 1X4 but he had to spend hours dry firing at the barrel with the little white spots on it.  15 years later he can still snap it in. If you spent six hours a day dry firing you could stay with iron sights and as a note my scope is off the M1A more that it is on it.  Do not go cheap on the mount there is some real junk out there for mounts that won't hold zero for spit even if you never take it off.   i found out the hard way.        
bratman87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bratman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 16:28
Burner,
 I had a M1A years ago that I used a Bassett Machine mount. Very nice mount for reasonable money made in Texas. I liked the Burris Signature riflescope which has since been discontinued. If you search around you still can find the 2-8x32 or 2-8x40mm new in the box. They have a 49' field of view on 2x. Can be had in matt finish that matches the rifle. I have heard good things about the Vortex also but have never had one. I just mounted a Minox ZA5 2-10x40 on my flat top AR and it is a very nice riflescope. Have not had time to sight it in yet but it performs very well at low light. Claims a 46.5' field of view on 2x and can be had with a wide range of reticles for under $500!
Glenn Taylor
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 20:17
You don't have to sacrifice anything.. It's too bad Zeiss doesn't make the 2-8 conquest anymore but this (link below) would be an excellent choice for your purposes. The 2-7 Viper is a great scope (if you can find one) and I think Vortex made a mistake by dropping it. I have both the Leupold and the Vortex. For general big game I would take the Viper. For Bears in thick cover I would go with the VX3. Bushnell also makes a 2-7 elite which you may want to look at

http://swfa.com/Leupold-175-6x32-VX-3-Riflescope-P12640.aspx

Either one would fulfill your requirement ant the diff between 1.75-6 and 2-7 is inconsequential.

Edited by biggreen747 - November/19/2012 at 20:22
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
burner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 21:51

Hey right on. Leupold vx 3is sounding great should be easy to find too. Light, and not too much magnification that I'll never use.(dead weight)
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 22:27
It's a good scope.. The heavy duplex narrows down pretty good at the center. Mine is mounted on an AR .223 and I shoot 16oz plastic coke bottles at 300yds and the reticle, even though heavy, works well on that small of a target at that range.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 02:44
Might want to look at the Minox scope line.Excellent glass ,great CS & sold here on SWFA.Their Z5 1.5-8x32 & 2-10x40 meet all your needs.

Welcome to the OT!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
bratman87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bratman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 07:28
The Minox 1.5-8x32 has over 8' wider field of view than the Leupold. Have not seen them side by side but I would be surprised to hear they are optically better than a Minox. I am truely impressed with mine. Good luck with your search!
Glenn Taylor
burner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 12:39
I much prefer the optical range of the minox. 

1.5 is great for close and all the way to 8x for(clumsily) trying to print groups/develop loads at the range. 

just 2oz heavier than the 1.75-6 leupold. thanks a ton guys glad I asked. 

Now I just have to source one up here in Canada. 

This one, right? 

http://swfa.com/Minox-15-8x32-ZA5-Riflescope-P48151.aspx
burner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 15:08
nice! thanks to you guys Im about to place an order. 

Im also a total reticle newb. 

they offer vesaplex(duplex with a circle around it), minoplex(standard duplex), and a #4.

Its a hunting rifle thats gonna be used as a range toy/bear defense. 

Duplex probably middle of the road for all that, right?
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 15:54
duplex is definitely middle of the road, simple crosshairs... a lot of people like that circle (versaplex) for quick target acquisition on close or closing targets.
bratman87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bratman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 21:10
Mine has the #4 plex which is a heavy plex. If you are not sure I would go with the minoplex.
Glenn Taylor
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 21:23
I have a 2-7 Viper, and think it would be great for your uses.

The Minox is another great choice.

However, my first choice for you would be the SS 1-4

If you could stretch your budget a little bit.
-Matt
911alertme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911alertme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 22:20
Since you can't buy through SWFA

Burner: in Canada, I found Cabelas carries all of the Minox scopes. WorkWearCanada also has them. Not sure who else.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 22:27
Oh yeah,

Canada.

Good point.

-Matt
burner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2012 at 13:33
thanks 911 off I go!

Maybe throw these on some nightforce ultralite rings by the look of  it...
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 07:58

Here is what I have been using:
2008 killed 4 deer 130 gr 270 ballistic tip 2875 fps muzzle, kills between 400 and 500 yards. M70, 2x7scope
2009 killed 5 deer 130 gr 270 ballistic tip 2875 fps muzzle, kills between 329 and 500 yards. M70, 2x7 scope
2010 killed 2 deer 180 gr VLD 7mmRM 3000 fps muzzle, kills between 50 and 400 yards. Ruger #1, 1.75x6.5 scope
2010 killed 1 deer 162 gr SST 7mmRM 3100 fps muzzle, kills was at 400 yards Ruger #1, 1.75x6.5 scope
2011 killed 1 deer and 1 antelope 150 gr BT, 3200 fps muzzle, kills between 70 and 410 yards. VZ24, 2x10 scope
2012  killed 1 deer 400 yards 257RAI 115 gr BT, 3050 fsp one 300y, two 50 yards. 1885, 2x7 scope

------------------------------
17 deer + 1 antelope /5 years = 3.6 animals/ year

I have some big scopes that cost big money, but I can't walk around hunt with a scope the size of a baseball bat on top of my rifle. Actually, this year, I never shot more than 100 feet from my vehicle.

The first scope is a Leupold VX1 2x7X with Stoney point turret added.
They are $210 now, I got mine for free from Leupold
The second scope is a Leupold Vari X - iii 1.75x6.5X with Stoney point turret added
The third scope is a Kahles 2x10X
 I hate the 0.1 miliradian adjustments.
The fourth scope is a Leupold vari X ii 2x7 with Stoney point turret added.

They don't make Stoney point turrets anymore, but Leupold is putting adjustable turrets on some small scopes, finally.

I could live with one of these:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic