OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RCBS 1500 Chargemaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RCBS 1500 Chargemaster
    Posted: November/18/2012 at 12:02
I was able to buy a RCBS digital powder measure and dispenser about 5 months ago.  I have been reloading for 35 years and all my reloading equipment is single stage and manual.   Oh, I just bought a Redding single stage press with the automatic primer dispenser as my old RCBS Jr was dated but still very functional.  The 1500 is an amazing unit.  I programed all of my favorite loads in for 9mm, .357, .223, 30/06 and .303.  Once you are set and ready to start you just hit the dispense button and the Charger does everything else.  I have my unit set up on automatic so once the pan is set back on the scale it starts measuring again.  While the RCBS is loading a new charge in the pan I am seating a bullet in the brass.  The automatic priming feature is also pretty neat. When I am finished seating the bullet the pan is ready to take off the scale and start the process all over again.  It takes the tedium out of the charging process. It takes 15-20 seconds for the 1500 to charge a new load.  The Charger throws the exact charge specified.  I have checked the automatic charge against a Redding scale and it is spot on every time. What a hoot. 
If you can see your way financially to buy the RCBS Charger 1500 I would highly recommend it.  Takes a little time to get used to everything after ALL the instructions have been read and fully understood. It is important to be sure and get the 1500 level at a location that is NOT subject to vibration of the press.  Be sure the 1500 is NOT subject to wind off of a dehumidifier or a vent from the blower motor from your furnace.  I load in the basement. There is a small plastic cover that is provided with the 1500 to help with wind issues should they be present. Could be the best $300 you will ever spend.
Hugh
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2012 at 12:06
I too have this unit. Love it. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 03:10
Ditto!
Cooper25 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 13:21
I  just got one before hunting season but never got it set up.
Now I was reading that it can't get cold.  I reload in my garage so I brought it in the house until I am ready to get going.  Am wondering if anyone has any experience with this.  Do I need to bring it in the house all the time during the winter?
Jeff
Hugh357 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2012 at 13:42
I got my instructions out that came with the 1500 RCBS Chargemaster.  They specifically state the unit IS NOT to be subjected to cold or freezing temperatures, which WILL damage the unit.  The unit has to be re-calibrated if there is a temperature change at the location where the reloader is working. 

Hugh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic