OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 10 precision carbine???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage 10 precision carbine???
    Posted: November/17/2012 at 14:19
Like at this in .308 anyone have any experience with these. I'm look for a .308 bolt action mid-heavy barrel for long range shooting to about 600 yards and something I can use for sitting long corn fields during deer season. I have a savage 111 7 mm mag that shoots great. Want to see if anyone has shot the carbine. Any advice let me know.

Thanks
-Shaine-
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 22:46
I have a Savage 10 Precision Carbine which has a 20" varmint weight barrel, digital camo Accustock and Accutrigger.  I installed a 20 M O A rail base and a Weaver 3-15 FFP Tactical scope.  With Sierra Match King 150 and 168 grain hand loads it consistently produces half inch or slightly over five shot groups at 200 yards from a Harris bipod and rear bag on a solid bench.  I am very pleased with the rifle.  Mine is a 2011 model so it does not have the threaded muzzle for suppressor that is included on the 2012 if that is a consideration for you.  Due to a long fire season this year I have not had a chance to shoot at ranges beyond 200 yards but have no doubt it will deliver consistent hits on steel out to 800 or more yards.  From my perspective it is an excellent choice and a good value.  
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2012 at 08:51
Good little rifle. One of the best deals bang for buck. That rifle will shoot just as well as many custom. If you reload my savage 1/10 twist 308 love 168 AMAX and 44.4 grn varget 2.80coal,br2 primers, hornady brass. I like rainmans scope choice too! Weaver tac 3-15 would be a sweet match. I have a 16x SS on mine but would love a variable on it.
Dont take yourself to seriously
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2012 at 09:29
It seems weird that you want to buy a 308 for long-range, but already own a 7mm. I am not wanting to tell you not to buy another rifle, but as far as ballistics go, a 7mm kinda smokes a 308. I would suggest buying a pre-chambered barrel, in the profile you want.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
bigpapa4045 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2012 at 13:49
The 7mm is great And iv hit steel out to 1000 yards. Looking for a new toy and a little savings on ammo! I'm sure you can all understand that lol
-Shaine-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic