OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

260 vs 308 on AR platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 260 vs 308 on AR platform
    Posted: November/15/2012 at 21:05
I'm looking very hard at DPMS light hunter in either 260 or 308. I own two 308's currently a rem 7 tac and a sav choate tactical. This gun will be used for primarily whitetails out to 300+ yards. I have tons of 308 brass,bullets,reloading equip,ext but part of me wants to try something different. Then my common cent tells me you the 308 inside and out get another one!!! I looked at the ballistics of the 260 and it wasn't quite as hot as I thought. Any thoughts on this guys? Can you think of any advantages of the 260 over the ol reliable 308?
Dont take yourself to seriously
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2012 at 21:10
260 is hard to beat at longer distances.

If you reload it can be fun to work with.

308 very plentiful and you could use it in SHTF.

The 260 is just a superb caliber highly under rated for what it can do very efficient, It is a very nice recoiling cartridge for performance.
No one
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2012 at 21:34
Paging Rancid!!!   Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 11:30
If you want to try something different but you're torn about getting away from the .308, why not try 7mm-08?
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 12:17
For the gas-gun I would probably choose 308. But I would suggest getting a another barrel for the Savage. There are so many different options out there that use the same bolt-head. 260, 6.5 Creedmore, 7-08, 243. Then you have all the wildcats to.
I would choose 308 for the gasser, simply because unless you spend A LOT of money, the accuracy potential is better in a bolt gun. Where the 260 and others really shine, is after 600 yards. At that point, the 260 and 243's kind of runaway and hide from the 308's, especially in the wind.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 18:44
Think 308.  The phenominal accuracy potential of the 260 is wasted in a gas gun.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 18:49
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

For the gas-gun I would probably choose 308. But I would suggest getting a another barrel for the Savage. There are so many different options out there that use the same bolt-head. 260, 6.5 Creedmore, 7-08, 243. Then you have all the wildcats to.
I would choose 308 for the gasser, simply because unless you spend A LOT of money, the accuracy potential is better in a bolt gun. Where the 260 and others really shine, is after 600 yards. At that point, the 260 and 243's kind of runaway and hide from the 308's, especially in the wind.

You forgot to mention 6.5x47Lapua.  I've got one and I am very impressed.

ILya
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 21:41
The .308 is a very effective cartridge, lots of factory ammo, components, and loading data.
I haven't seen factory match loads for the .260 Rem. or the 7-08 Rem., so getting an accuracy floor for your rifle will be more difficult.
You can always have a new barrel put on should you decide to switch calibers from .308.
For hunting the Federal TBBC 165 grn. load is very effective as is the Nosler 165 grn. Accubond.
The various Black Hills, Federal and Hornady match loads are good way to see how accurate your rifle is and give you a goal to equal if you hand load.
Good luck deciding!
Art
Good day.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 23:17
Gulf, Federal is bringing out a Gold Medal for the 260. Not to mention Black Hills, Copper Creek, and Southwest all offer really good ammo for them.

And yes I did forget the Lapua...Most likely because I can't ever afford their brass.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 07:41
Tks for all the great responses! Still deciding but leaning toward the 308. The way it looks its gonna be dang near impossible to get one. Everyone is out!

I was also looking at the rem r25, pretty much the same gun. Cmmg also makes a nice looking 308. Anyone else have any suggestions for 308 on ar platform? I want more of a hunting style with tube hand guard. Those quad rails just aren't as comfortable in the hand!
PPD7800 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PPD7800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 15:25

Well that depends on how much you are willing to spend, LaRue Tactical PredatAR 308 at 7.75lbs is a nice light weight, accurate and reliable gun, but a bit on the high side for coin.

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 16:08
Originally posted by PPD7800 PPD7800 wrote:

Well that depends on how much you are willing to spend, LaRue Tactical PredatAR 308 at 7.75lbs is a nice light weight, accurate and reliable gun, but a bit on the high side for coin.

Dont wont to spend to much or I will have to sell some of my other toys to fund this project! I would be content with the dpms light hunter and I am in no rush. I will prolly have my local sporting goods store order it directly from Panther arms. 

You know 
260,7mm-08 and 308 are all so good I have a tough time choosing! I like the idea of light recoil of the 260! Anyone out ther play with one yet? Just curious how they shoot and what bullet weight is ideal for 1/8.5 twist out of 18 inch barrel??
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 17:42
Actually while the DPMS AR10 series rifles are great on the range for target shooting and have the high capacity mags that make them useful for military or law enforcement use - I think it is a huge mistake for a deer rifle.  Most states wont allow over 4 to 5 rounds in the rifle to hunt with anyway.  I much prefer a Tikka or a Savage bolt action or if you really want a first class bolt gun a custom rifle from GA Precision would be great. If there is some need to have more than 5 rounds there are some bottom metal set up s that run the Accuracy International mags in 5 and 10 shot capacity. I'm more of a one shot - one deer kind of hunter so I would avoid the added bulk and weight of the semi auto for hunting.  If you must go with an AR10 type rifle the FNAR would be one you should look at they are quite similar to the browning semi auto which also would be a fine choice and comes in a varitey of very suitable deer cartridges.
I would also think 7mm 08 would be preferable to the 260 Rem from looking over the balistics but I have not had either as I tend to go 30 cal on rifles larger than .223

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 19:42
With 300+ being a max, any of those cartridges will work just fine.
Get the one you want!
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 21:38
Having owned both 308 and 260 in AR, I would recommend neither for a deer rifle.

If your heart is set on an AR10, at least know this:

1.  I have been thoroughly unimpressed with the hunting performance of the 260 caliber.  I built a new one (bolt gun) worked up incredibly accurate loads, and had several hogs run from very good hits.  They all died shortly thereafter, but they ran,  I don't like post-impact runners.
2.  The 260 is easy to load for, most recipes convert pretty quickly from your 308 loads.
3.  At range, on a purely "shot on target" basis, the 260 is superior to the 308, better ballistics, less drop, less wind deflection (with some loads.)
4.  A 260-based AR10 is fun as hell to shoot, but many states will limit what you can hunt (and how) with a semi-auto.
5.  If you are a bolt gun guy, an AR10 will take some getting used to.
6.  I am a "bigger bullet moving slower" fan, rather than a "small bullet moving fast" fan; but the 260 is something of an in-between caliber.  It is awesome for precision work at range, but isn't my choice for hunting.
7.  AR's are not, on average, as accurate as a good bolt gun.  If your favorite 308 bolt gun does 1/2MOA at 300 yards, don't expect the AR to do the same, unless you spend some money and time getting to that.

For clarity, I hunt mostly in Laredo, TX in very, very thick scrub.  If an animal runs more than 10 yards, it might be gone forever; yes, that thick!  In that environment, the 300WM is the caliber of choice (with Barnes TTSX rounds.)  The 260 killed everything hit with it, the bullet selection isn't bad, it just doesn't hit as hard as a 30-caliber projectile, all other factors being equal.

I agree that you should get what you want.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 11:38
On another note, in looking back at the OP's post, the 260 is not particularly hot, but the projectile has better ballistic values, meaning it flies more efficiently than do most 30-caliber bullets in a 308.

It is not particularly hot, running in my 20-in AR10 at about 2700 FPS at the muzzle, but it sheds velocity more slowly than does a 308 bullet (from a 20-in barrel.)  The net result is more energy on target and fewer clicks to get to 300 yards; or, if you decide to shoot further out, fewer clicks on windage and elevation compared to a 308 projectile at the same range.

If your max intended range is 300 yards, I'd do a 308 if you must have an AR10.  A 260 would be fun, but the work to get into a new caliber would be less than offset by the new caliber's ability to do what you need better than a 308 would.

I can help locate an AR10 in 308, if you like.  A good friend has a shooter of an AR10 (Armalite) with a 16" barrel that shoots quite well - better than him, in most cases (REMF, here on Optics Talk occasionally.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 12:51
Rancid,
With your 260 Rem., try the 140 grain A-Max on pigs and then tell me your thoughts about quick anchoring of an animal.
Ernie

EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 18:18
Isn't A-Max a target bullet ?

Eagle
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 18:32
Think about this...Hornady TAP ammo in 308 uses the 168 A-Max.
Purpose of this ammo is penetration and tissue destruction.
Yes, the A-Max is a target bullet but it has worked very well for me at close and far distances (Beyond 1K) on big game: antelope, mule deer, and whitetail.
On game, I have used the 140 grain 6.5, the 162 grain 7mm, and the 168 grain 308.
Ernie

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 18:54
Hornady even states the amax is good for up to and including medium game. They just dont recommend it on heavy and dangerous game
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic