OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help mating scope with rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alee18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help mating scope with rifle
    Posted: November/13/2012 at 16:24
I got a new scope Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 for my Savage Axis.  I'm running weaver 515 bases and Med Burris Signature Zee rings. When I installed the scope on the rifle, there is about 5 mm clearance between the lowest point of the objective bell and the barrel. [span style='font-weight: bold;']Now the problem is the bolt handle doesn't clear the eyepiece bell freely[/span]. Trying to work the bolt back slowly lights touches the bell, if I were to do it normally it would scrape the scope in no time.

Here are some numbers I gathered:
Maximum objective bell diameter with current rings and bases I can have is 54mm and I need eyepiece/ocular bell to be no larger than 40mm in diameter in order for my stock bolt handle to clear.

Monarch is 49mm objective and 44mm eyepiece.

According to Burris the med sig zee rings that I have are .270 of an inch and their high ones are .420". Does it mean that the difference between the two is .150" which is 3.81mm and that it will rise the objective bell and eyepiece bell by 3.81mm?

[span style='font-weight: bold;']What are my solutions now?[/span]

1) get high rings? (I really would not want to do this as it would set the objective bell even higher)

2) Get a new base? (I guess same effect as getting high rings, perhaps will not raise the scope as high)

3) Ditch this scope and find one with smaller eyepiece bell?

I never even knew that this could be a problem as some scope companies do not even list the diameter for the eyepiece bell. For example, previously I had Bushnell Elite E3940 and the handle did clear freely. There is got to be an easy fix for this issue, please share you inputs and ideas.

Thanks

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 16:27
I knew I was going to run into this problem with a Swaro Z6 I planned on buying.  So I bought a whole new Browning rifle with a short bolt lift to fix my problem.  Wink

If you like the scope I would either get a 1 piece tactical type base that is a little taller or just buy the next size up in rings. 

More and more scopes these days are having the larger eye pieces. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
timbo762 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 17:40
You pretty much answered your own question. Many of the newer designs featuring a "large eye box" is going to have a large ocular bell. If you don't see a dimension in the catalog specs, call or email the manufacturer/importer for the info.  
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 17:42
I had that scope on a Rem 700 with a Badger rail and TPS low rings and it cleared OK. Sorry, no bolt in pic, but take my word for it! Bucky

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
alee18 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alee18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 17:52
I dont know what would be the best way to achieve my goal, if I should get higher rings or add a base? 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 18:01
You could get higher rings and then add an Eagle Stock Pack, or the like. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic