OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vertical adj question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vertical adj question
    Posted: November/12/2012 at 10:33
I am switching scopes on my rifle from a 3-9 to a 4-12 scope. When I switched scopes the new one when bore sighting has only one turn of upward vertical adjustment left , where as the previous scope had 3 turns of adjustment up when bore sighted. Does this mean there is an issue with themes scope or that's just how it's going to be for that scope.
thegoaty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 10:32
Ok when I say vertical adjustment I'm talking about the elevation and rotation of the turrets.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 10:43
Could be several causes.  One the scopes do not have the same amount of internal adjustment.  Meaning you orginal scope had more overall adjustment so it had more left over to move up and down.

Did you use the exact same rings and base?  Changing those can make a diff.  Sometimes even taking them off and putting them back on can change things quite a bit.

Sometimes a scope has a uneven optical center point, meaning it may need to be higher of lower on the vertical plane another scope.

And it is possible something is wrong with the scope.

But depending upon your use, it may not be an issue to you at all.  If you are not a knob turner and are just zeroing the scope and leaving it a lone, then it should be just fine for you. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
thegoaty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 11:35
Yeah it was the same mount amd rings, just different scopee. I could probably get a little bit lower rings , would that help it out a little ?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 11:40
Not necessarily.  What scopes are they and what kind of shooting are you doing?  Are you turning knobs all the time or just zeroing it and leaving it be?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

thegoaty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 12:50
It's a bushnell xlt 3-9 mil dot and new one is a redfield revenge 4-12 acurange varmint reticle and it's going on a 308 varmint bolt action rifle. I bought the rifle to do shooting out to 500 yards or so. The redfield has the bdc reticle so I wa hoping that might work out but them again i would like to learn to adj knobs for trajectory. It's my lack of experience for long distance shooting that makes me unsure of what would be better to use.
thegoaty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 12:52
My main use for this rig is for varmint hunting and shooting steel gongs put to 500 yards
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 12:56
Looks like your 3-9x has 80 MOA of adjustment, where your redfield only have 50.  So it does make sense what is happening.  Your Bushnell has more overall so you have more to play with after your zero.

Also neither of the scopes are made to be turning knobs back and forth all the time.  They are basic hunting scopes designed to set it and forget it. 

The BDC will really only be consistant on one magnification.  What mag that is depends upon you.  Most people work out their drops for those on high mag at the range.  Then when in the field you will need to have it on that same mag to get the same drops.  Hope that makes sense.  It is a second focal point scope, so that is how it has to be. 

You can figure out your drops on say 6x as well, you will just have to keep track of two sets of data, which is fine.  Just more work on your part. 

Edited by supertool73 - November/13/2012 at 13:06

thegoaty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 14:07
Yeah that does make a lot of sense actually. I wonder if I went the wrong route going with the redfield scope.
timbo762 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 18:03
With most variable power scopes, as the magnification range increases the amount of elevation/windage adjustment decreases. If you want to play with the adjustment turrets at long range you should get a scope with a minimum of 70" total adjustment and/or an inclined scope base. If your o0n a budget, take a look at Bushnell's Elite 10x40mm Tactical fixed power scope. It has a lot of adjustment, nice glass, and a mil dot reticle. Usually sells for around $200.00 and they have a $75.00 rebate at this time.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2012 at 10:12
I would not say you went wrong.  Using a hold over type reticle can work great if you spent the time at a known distance range and learn where your actual drops are on the reticle at the given distances.  Alot of people use them very successfully.  For big game hunting they actually work very well.

I use one with my Swaro scope and a 300 wsm and know all my drops exactly out to 600 yards at 10x and 5x. 

There are definite advantages to using knobs to dial in corrections.  It will typically be much more accurate, more consistent.  Down side is they typically can take a little longer and they can pull your focus away from your target.  If you need to be very fast a holdover can be better in some cases as if you know your reticle it will be faster. 

jdgray View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 15:23
You could look into a tapered base. I recently had target turrets installed on one of my Leupolds, and was supprised to find I had only 19moa of elevation from my 100yrd zero. I ordered a new base with 15moa of taper to give me more room. I shoot out to 600yrds, and 19moa is more than enough to get there, but would rather be more centered in the tube with my retical. Now my 30mm tube Leupy, can do 1000yrds on a 0 moa base!!
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 07:08
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I use one with my Swaro scope and a 300 wsm and know all my drops exactly out to 600 yards at 10x and 5x. 

I have a Swarovski 3-9x36mm on my TC ml with the 4A reticle. The subtention from the crosshair to the edge of the vertical post is 8.3" at 100 yards on 9x power, so I can use that or half that amount for two yardage points.  

At 3x the distance at 100 yards is 25.2". Is there a formula that would work to give the subtentions for 4-8 powers? I assume a liner taper would be too simple. Thanks.

Edited by tpcollins - November/19/2012 at 07:16
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic