OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

An Optics question - who'd a thunk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyOlCol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Optics question - who'd a thunk?
    Posted: November/11/2012 at 19:25
Been enjoying the web site and the write ups from folks for some time, so figured i would jump in.

two primary platforms for me:

Bushmaster ACR
Springfield M1a loaded.

I shoot one round through each (bullet weight/style) as a staple.
What I do, learn that round, what it does, what it cant do, understand limitations and strengths.
Handload.

Have BUIS for each mounted.
ACR has full rails
M1a I have the 101st ABN version of the Sadlak mount.

Here is (drum roll) question.

Start off with one optic.
Zero and set it (example) for the M1a
when I want to, move it to the ACR, noting the differences for dope between the two - write em down, tag it to each rifle IOT to back and forth with each.

Initial thought is a 600 meter capable (Im 52 and no my eyes AINT as good as they were at 18) so Red dot is out for a primary.

I do like the Zeiss Conquest, Pride Fowlers RR etc -
When I work a cartridge I will work it at all ranges and wind drifts so I KNOW what it will do.

What I am initially trying to avoid is getting a low price point optic X 2
get a solid one at the 5-800 ish that will allow short to med on both weapons, then after a bit, concentrate on a second quality optic for the 2nd weapon

I am also looking at mounting a Burris Fast Fire on a 45 degree rail stub on each weapon for snap shooting out to 100 - again on a 45 degree stubby mount and not as a primary optic.

Thinking 9x might be max necessary, would like something "close" to 1x for both eye open work to 100-150

yes im nuts, wife tells me that all the time (confirmed by having 4 kids, two Irish setters and I still race dirt bikes)  Loco

Me being a bit more wack than most here aside what would you point me at looking at for this "first" optic

I am NOT a brand snob - but I dont want quality glass and warranty, but would rather have the warranty peace of mind and never use it.

Thanx folks and great forum.

GoC
Play silly games, win stupid prizes.
GrumpyOlCol View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyOlCol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 19:30
"I am NOT a brand snob - but I dont want quality glass and warranty, but would rather have the warranty peace of mind and never use it."

no I cant type...

I DO WANT quality glass....
Sorry

warned you...im old...

GoC
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyOlCol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 21:22
already have the Blackhawk cheek riser for the M1a

you good folks are probably correct...

focus on a 1-300 meter optic for the ACR

then....worry about the M1a

I hate it when facts get involved.....

sigh...

Bandito

GoC

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2012 at 18:05
I have just never had much luck making the changes from rifle to rifle so if it were me I would much prefer two scopes. Have you looked t=at some of the Sightron big sky models on sale. It seems a lot of folks on here seem to like them and for the $$ you mention you could afford two.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyOlCol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2012 at 18:09
Well switching between two was a dream...

dreams are still free right?
Big Grin

Going to focus on the ACR first - get it dialed in set and ready, then move onto the M1a

From everyone's reviews here, the Hi-Lux CMR 1-4 has caught my eye for my Bushmaster ACR, and the combo deal that SWAFA has right now on their sturdy rings + Scope.

that is unless someone tells me for oh....$350 or so say to 450 that CMR can get hands down beat....

GoC

lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 16:50
I have had good luck moving from rifle to rifle using the Aadland mounts.   They have a 45 degree for my red-dot also.   I have moved my Swarovski 3-18 with a Sig red-dot at 45 degrees from my SCAR to my AR without a problem.   It is solid on both rails and I just have to note my dials for each one.  The mount is built like a truck.  SWFA carries them and I have had no problems with repeatability.  I'm waiting paitiently for the SS 1-6 to come in and I am swapping between rifles in the mean time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic