OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

meostar vs z3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: meostar vs z3
    Posted: November/11/2012 at 10:35
was almost set on buying a swaro then read some reviews on the meostars....many are saying theyre brighter at dusk than a swaro.....guess im mainly looking at the z2 3-10-42 swaro or either the 3-10x50 meostar or 4-12x40 meostar.....the meostars have a 30mm tube which everyone is saying brings in more light,etc......the meostars are even a bit cheaper than the swaro.....ive never looked thro a meostar but i have looked thro the swaro and really like it...of course it was in a store and not outdoors......love the #4 reticle on the meostar as well....was just wondering what u guys think?  
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 12:05
one thing that concerns me about the meostar is im reading it has very short eye relief...about 3'' ...while the swaro is i think around 3.7''....also im wondering if the 50mm objective and 30mm tube is just going to weigh my gun down...i have a remington 270.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 15:18
I really can not agree with the blanket statement that 30mm allows more light than a 1 inch. In the F.A.Q. section there is some very good information and this one is on 30mm vs 1inch.

http://www.opticstalk.com/30mm-vs-1inch-tube-for-light_topic3828.html

And as far as weight is concerned those specs are listed on the SWFA website.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 15:41
Tube diameter has no effect on light transmission. 30mm tube scopes don't automatically transmit more light than a quality 1" tube scope, and if one does, it's due to coatings and the combined attributes of its optical design, not because it has a larger main tube. The effective circle of light passing through the internal lenses inside the scope is much smaller than the erector assy lens diameters. The main advantages to a 30mm tube are that it has the potential to provide more w/e travel, it's stronger (which is usually a moot point), and a greater selection of higher end scopes are available in 30mm, simply because most of the world uses the metric system rather than the inch system, and 30mm was adopted as the standard. 

As for the Meostar line being "brighter" than the Swaro Z3 or other Swaro scopes... I don't know where you heard that, but I highly doubt it.  I'm betting the low light performance of those two series are so close that different people will have differing opinions, if anyone can see a discernible advantage to one over the other at all.  One thing to keep in mind, however... all else being equal, given 2 scopes of equivalent quality, one with a shorter eye relief will appear to be slightly "brighter" simply because the eye is closer to the ocular lens and therefore the eye is receiving less ambient light from around the eyepiece.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2012 at 19:12
I have hunted with the z3 3-10x42 BRH and consider it a fantastic scope.

I just got two Meoptas in:
Meopro 4-12x50 #4 reticle
Meopro 3-12x56 4B

My initial testing is very positive and a definite step up from say the Conqesf.
It is very close to the Kahles.

We are splitting hairs here.

My brother is running the Z3 now and we will compare against the Meoptas.

I can confidently say the Meopro 4-12x50 is an outstanding hunting scope at a he'll of a deal at 500 bucks.
I will be running this weekend and there is no way I would use a scope during the prime of the rut when I am after my big buck for the year that didn't measure up.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic