OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold MK4 4.5-14 40mm Mil Dot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold MK4 4.5-14 40mm Mil Dot
    Posted: March/24/2006 at 19:30

Leupold MK4 4.5-14 40mm Mil Dot side focus. Anyone know about this scope? I can pick one up NIB for $625. Is this a good deal and are there better scopes in this price range?

Model # 56130

Thanks Hi Speed

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 05:29
That is a good price for that scope. Are you able to buy it from a trusted vendor, or is it an ebay deal?
Can you see me now...
hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 05:34

DNR Sports!  Got a gift certificate for $50. I think they are on E-Bay and Have their own site as well.

Do you think it's a knock off?

hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 05:39
S.W.F.A. is in TX and sales tax eats my bu**! I'm military and some vendors offer discounts. Others do not. Maybe S.W.F.A. could cook up something if I called.
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 05:44

I'm not sure...I have not looked at their site. You can read through their feedback and see what the people are saying about the products they receive, just be sure they are people who bought the same scope you are wanting to buy.

If you deal direct with them and use a credit card....you can send it back if it's a fake and they should credit back your card. If they don't credit back your card you can dispute the charge.

Just be sure to keep proof of it, if it's a fake "pictures" and send it back via UPS so the you will have a proof of delivery.

Can you see me now...
hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 05:46
  I did read the post about fakes but was unclear as to the tale tale signs. Could you help me out here?
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 05:54
I don't have a good memory...so I'll have to read it again. But I'm not sure how to be sure of what they are going to send you before they send it. I'd call Leupold and find out if they are a certified Leupold Dealer.
Can you see me now...
hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 05:57
 Great suggestion and I'll do it. Thanks my friend and when in doubt hit;em hard
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 05:57
Good Luck!
Can you see me now...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2006 at 01:36
LEU56130 Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 PR 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 PR 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $789.95
This is same as last years price on this model so I would be really suspicious of what you are getting. I checked their site and do not see where they sell any Leupold products.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2006 at 06:08

Well I called Leupold and asked if they had ever heard of these guys. The answer was yes and that they were a distributor for them. They then gave me instruction to call with the serial # once it arrived if I was still weary. Then to proceed to open the box upon it's verification. Remember I have a $50 gift certificate. The price was $650, The guy at Leupold said this was a good price but not any less than what LE can get them for.

You must call them with the part # and they will give you the price.

hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2006 at 18:34

This scope is the real deal and my rifle (after 25 shot break in) is a tack driving wonder. I could not be happier. This rig is everything I wanted and more. I'll never be able to shoot it enough Thanks for the help!

Hi Speed

taylorsf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2006 at 21:05

man,

for that price you could have bought 10 to 20 leapers, bec, or nc star scopes.

that would have been the way to go! 

ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2006 at 03:25

Prior to getting the PMII, I contacted DNR off of Ebay, as they are Nightforce and Zeiss dealers.  Both the 5.5-22x56 and the Diavari 6-24x56 mildot IR were priced pretty competitvely at $1391 and $1719 respectively.  They seem to have good feedback and offer reasonable s/h charges.  Had I gone with either of those two scopes, I would have gone with them despite my Sako dealer being a Nightforce dealer ($1450).

They just offer great prices.

Chris 

hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2006 at 06:12
  Their prices are great but I think S.W.F.A. would have gotten my business if I would not have had a gift certificate. They are said to meet or beat anyones advertised prices.
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2006 at 16:23

Hi HS, 

Ultimately, you should buy from who you feel most comfortable with and who treats you the best.  The problem I encountered when buying my SB PMII is that SB has a policy that a dealer can't list their scopes for anymore than $50 off their retail price, or risk losing the line.  SWFA has a policy to beat any advertised price, so therein lies the rub.  There are internet dealers who don't have brick and motar stores and by definition, have lower operating costs.  Businesses have a choice, they can go the McDonnalds route and make pennies, but do it on massive volume or they can stick close to retail, maybe sell a bit fewer items, but bring in a higher cost per unit price.

I was fortunate to come across EuroOptics on the Net and Ebay and saw a starting price that was $50 off of retail for my PMII and decided to call.  Since Schmidt Bender couldn't care less what a dealer actually sells their scopes for, Alex at Euro was able to go substantially less than his advertised price.  I would have loved to have gone SWFA, as I enjoy their site and this forum, but I'm not a wealthy guy and I've saved quite a bit on my 3 scope purchases since August to the point where I basically got my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 for free, just by doing my homework and shopping around.  I'm not here to denigrate SWFA, but the three people I dealth with were all upstanding people who really gave a break on price. 

I would think that D&R Sports operates in the same manner, although I can't honestly say from experience.

It's kind of funny, cause when I called my Sako TRG dealer to switch my 30mm mount for the SB 34mm mount, Shawn Cott (Cott Firearms, Marshall, MO)  kind of chuckled and commented that I was moving up to SB from my original intent to get a Nightforce from him.  He mentioned that he had just gotten back from the SHOT show and picked up Schmidt Bender as a line.  Since I had just commited to EuroOptics a hour or so before, he asked about the price and who I went with.  He was actually going to have a special for a few bucks less than I paid, but wouldn't be getting them in for a month.  I wasn't going to nickel and dime Euro, but they were both within ~$20 and Euro threw in some Butler Creek flip ups when I related this story with the rifle dealer, to Alex.  I guess my point is is that there are choices out there and one just needs to pick up the phone and chat with these people in order to get a feeling for their character.  Heck, my PMII was shipped out on a Friday and I didn't even mail the personal check out until Saturday.  I actually got my scope before my check arrived there, so that's kind of 'good service' if you ask me?

As somebody who is into cameras and hi end HiFi, I kind of treat scopes as I do the former, in that nobody should pay retail.  There should, IMO, be some wiggle room for haggling and I don't know if SWFA does this as a rule?

Anyhow, this has just been my recent experience in the scope market.

Take care, Chris from Miami

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2006 at 19:45
Hey....I'm glad it worked out for you on this scope. Thanks for sharing!
Can you see me now...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic