OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Life long hunting rifle (help me pick)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2012 at 10:54
If I could only have one hunting rifle it would be the 06. With over a 100 years of proven performance its hard to find fault in this caliber.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2012 at 11:21
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

If I could only have one hunting rifle it would be the 06. With over a 100 years of proven performance its hard to find fault in this caliber.

+1

over the counter bullet/round selection means you'll never be over or under gunned in north america.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 10:53
I do also continue to be impressed how my friend, with his POS tupperware stock $350 .270 (including scope) can still get animals. After shooting a cow elk Thursday, he mentioned he hadn't even fired the rifle since 2009. For those who aren't aware, a .270 is a necked-down .30-06 cartridge with better ballistics...if you can up the weight in similarly-shaped bullets.
Reaction time is a factor...
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 11:21
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I do also continue to be impressed how my friend, with his POS tupperware stock $350 .270 (including scope) can still get animals. After shooting a cow elk Thursday, he mentioned he hadn't even fired the rifle since 2009. For those who aren't aware, a .270 is a necked-down .30-06 cartridge with better ballistics...if you can up the weight in similarly-shaped bullets.

I think it is unethical to not run some test rounds through your equipment before hunting season! Especially with low end optics!!! But to each ther own...
Dont take yourself to seriously
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 11:47
Originally posted by jselsor jselsor wrote:

I think it is unethical to not run some test rounds through your equipment before hunting season! Especially with low end optics!!! But to each ther own...

Same here. In fact, I went back to the range between hunts just to verify a high-end rifle and scope because one shot didn't feel quite right. I guess as long as the rifle doesn't get banged around and he connects without merely maiming or wasting meat I can only encourage more practice. "C" seems to know his limits and never shoots over 100 or so. I did have to remind him to unchamber a loaded round from his rifle when we started to drag the carcass down. I always make that my first task before field dressing.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 12:08
For his budget and if he wants a clip style magazine and a synthetic stock, I'd say get a Savage 7mm Mag. 

Visit the Ed Show
jwyoungblood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwyoungblood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 21:27
Hey fellas. New to the forum, but not new to the sport. I am actually the guy that is looking for a rifle. Been lurking on here reading for a while.  Lot's of good input and points.  As Jordan said, I was looking at a 30-06 but it sold on me before I had a chance to make a move.  I have been pretty indecisive here lately as to what I want.  I wanted a 7mm but now I think I'm going to buy a 300 win mag just because of the versatility of the grains you can shoot out of them.  I have narrowed it down to these 3 models:

Remington 700 SPS
Tikka T3 Lite
Weatherby Vanguard S2 (cheapest, but seem like solid guns)

All are synthetic stock, and I can go stainless or blued, doesnt really matter to me at this point.  I did see that Bass Pro has the Rem 700 SPS, blued for only $509 as a Christmas special which is a pretty sweet deal.   Cabela's also has the Vanguard for $449 on Black Friday. What are your guys opinions on these 3 models.  How do the triggers, actions, stocks, etc stack up against each other?  Thanks a lot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 21:47
A 300 WM is a lot of gun especially for deer. I have hunted mule deer with my 7mm and really puts a hole in them.

I really think u would be srved much better with a 7mm-08, .308, or 30-06 at the biggest. The magnum recoil really beats u up. Any of those will kill and elk just fine, and easily kill a deer. But getting a rifle with moderate recoil u will be much more likely to really spned time learning how to shoot it because it will not beat u up. A great marksman with a .308 will be much better off than the guy who flinches because his gun kicks him so hard.

Don't fall into the gotta have a magnum to hunt elk camp. That is just hog wash, lots and lots of folks hunt elk with 30-06 and smaller and get one every year.   Get a caliber u will enjoy to shoot. A light weight 300 is not fun to shoot often, trust me i have one. I would much rather shoot my 223s and 243s.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 21:52
Welcome to the OT! Of your listed choices I would Take the Tikka, although in 300 win mag the recoil will be "noticeable" 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 21:56
Out of those three mentioned, I like the Weatherby seeing as how you want a 300 Mag.  I've had a Howa before and they are a good rifle, and I currently have a Tikka--- but mine is a Model 695 walnut and it is heavier than the T3.  I would not want a 300 Winchester in a 6 1/2 lb Tikka T3....

But the Tikka is a fine rifle.  I simply think the T3's are just too lite for anything but deer cartridges....But I guess they would be very handy to carry around all day...

Visit the Ed Show
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2012 at 21:58

I did have to remind him to unchamber a loaded round from his rifle when we started to drag the carcass down. I always make that my first task before field dressing.

I just gotta ask, why? You afraid your gun is going to jump up and shoot someone? ;)

Thats one i will never understand. Its like on hunting shows when the guys dont even load up their guns til they see the animal.

Guns are worthless unloaded imo. As long as you are following the saftey rules.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2012 at 07:52
Jon,
Here are my thoughts
90% of the time this will be a whitetail gun with reasonably close shots. Keep in mind many of us kill deer with 223 rifles an honestly they die just as fast if you put it thru the lungs/heart. How many deer have you killed with the oL 30-30? i bet a pile of em! I just think that a 300mag is WAY over kill. + ammo is costly + they rattle your teeth when you shoot them (especially on a light hunting rifle platform).
One thing to think about is that you will need to buy a scope too. I would by a good work horse rifle that you can leave in the cab of your Chevy all of rifle season and flat hunt your ass off! I would then top it with a high quality scope. It is truly a pleasure to hunt with crystal clear optics. This my friend will make you a more efficient hunter!
So here is what I suggest
Weatherby vanguard
Ruger American
Rem 700 sps
Marlin xl7
In 270,308,7mm08
Then scope choice will be another thread ;)
Dont take yourself to seriously
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2012 at 11:12
My choice would be 30-06 in a long action and the 7mm08 in a short action imo.  Nice thing about a Tikka is the guaranteed accuracy....
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
rocket99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocket99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2012 at 19:02
I own a Tikka T3 in. 308. It is lightweight, extremely accurate out of the box, and easy on the shoulder. A Tikka in. 308 or 7mm would be a solid choice.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 11:34
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

My choice would be 30-06 in a long action and the 7mm08 in a short action imo.  Nice thing about a Tikka is the guaranteed accuracy....

the vangard s2 also has an out of box accuracy guarante, i don't think remmy does, they don't have to, most people buy a 700 to immediately begin customizing it.

if you're set on the 300win, i'd pick the heaviest rifle first, the remmy 2nd.  if you get the remmy, and you decide you don't enjoy the recoil, you can get one of any number of after market stocks to help out with that.  the tikka as far fewer options available.

in the last couple of years i bought a tikka t3 lite stainless in .270win and a sako a7 stainless in 7RMag.  of the two, i much prefer the tikka, and not because of the caliber.  it's just enough different that it feels better.  go to a gun store where you can shoulder one of each of these rifles and see how they feel.

as stated before, if you're going to be hunting white tail 90% of the time, i would steer clear of the magnums.  you'll spend less money on .270, 30.06, 7mm-08 or .308 ammo and in a lighter rifle, have much less recoil to worry about.

if i had it to do again, i'd buy 2 t3's, one in lefty for my son and one righty for me, both in 30.06.  very difficult to go wrong with that chambering.

Edited by Dyelynn - November/19/2012 at 14:46
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 13:07
Regarding .300 Win (and other magnums) for deer hunting:
The  excess power isn't really an issue for those who buy them for deer, as the magnums are selected for their long range effectiveness, i.e. a "beanfield" rifle.

You'll never even know a magnum kicked you when you knock down a buck 400 yds out, but getting a load worked up will remind you it's a magnum.

The only problem with a "bean field' rifle is the wind. As soon as it starts blowing 30 with 45mph gusts, might as well forget it.

On the .30-06: plenty of power and flat trajectory with the right scope/ammo combo.
A 200 gr. AB has as much energy at 600 yds as a .30-30 has at 50 yds.

My .30-06 deer ammo? I used up some left- over 165 SSTs which I loaded down, since I wanted as much meat as possible- so far, the plan has worked. Two inches above the elbow and that was that- no bloodshot shoulders, etc.
It's a lot trickier to load many magnums down- they need the heat.

I'm fixin' to load some Interbonds for next week's hunting and they will be full house, as no worries with them about explosive demolition.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwyoungblood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 19:01
Well, I finally made up my mind, and when I logged in today, the last few posts are dead on with what I decided. Narrowed it down to the Tikka T3 Lite S/S in a 30-06.  I found one, practically brand new for $500 with rings and base. It's never even had a scope on it yet, it's that new.  Now, couple of questions regarding this gun.

I have never bought a gun online. Can I have the guy (private seller) ship it to a friend of mine with an FFL?  Is there any special shipping restrictions, and what would the average cost be for standard shipping on the gun. Probably only weights about 7-8 pounds with a box and all I would think....

Thanks guys.
John
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwyoungblood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 19:05
Also, what is the best way to ensure I don's get scammed with this deal?  Paypal or what?

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 19:36
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I did have to remind him to unchamber a loaded round from his rifle when we started to drag the carcass down. I always make that my first task before field dressing.

I just gotta ask, why? You afraid your gun is going to jump up and shoot someone? ;)

Thats one i will never understand. Its like on hunting shows when the guys dont even load up their guns til they see the animal.

Guns are worthless unloaded imo. As long as you are following the saftey rules.

To me, it's unsafe when trying to drag an animal, especially one as heavy as a cow elk down a steep hillside with rocks and sticks hidden under the snow. It's unlikely, but I just don't want to take the chance that a slung rifle might swing around during a fall. The trigger could snag on a backpack strap or the rifle might even discharge if it hits the ground hard enough.

The reason I unload first is because by the time the animal is field dressed and the pack goes back on, etc. it's easy to forget. Your mind might be on the task of getting yourself and the animal home. While actually on the hunt, I often have a round chambered...might even have the safety already off. But I'm definitely aware of that fact.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 19:40
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I really think u would be srved much better with a 7mm-08, .308, or 30-06 at the biggest. The magnum recoil really beats u up. Any of those will kill and elk just fine, and easily kill a deer. But getting a rifle with moderate recoil u will be much more likely to really spned time learning how to shoot it because it will not beat u up. A great marksman with a .308 will be much better off than the guy who flinches because his gun kicks him so hard.

Don't fall into the gotta have a magnum to hunt elk camp. That is just hog wash, lots and lots of folks hunt elk with 30-06 and smaller and get one every year.

+100!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic