OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ??
    Posted: November/08/2012 at 19:58
http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-QD-1-Scope-Mount-P48181.aspx

Opinions??
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 20:47
Good to go for most useage. Does not quick detach. I use a more expensive mount that quick detaches.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 20:55
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Good to go for most useage. Does not quick detach. I use a more expensive mount that quick detaches.

Even with the qd levers it won't quick detach and return to zero??
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 21:07
Surprise ME -- I had not seen the one with QD levers. New Item   Instinct tells me avoid it like the plague but go ahead and buy one and try it and let us know.  I am quite happy with La Rue mounts actually returning to Zero and I am told by those who have them that the BOBRO also does so quite nicely. There is an old saying when something sounds too good to be true - it probably is.  There are quite a few companies making quick detach mounts. I've tried a few and had them just not hold up to military / Law Enforcement type use but the La Rue and BOBRO will take that kind of abuse.  I would say that if you are a recreational shooter you can go cheap and try it but I have not seen this model or had the opportunity to test the levers. I'm Always a tad leary of Chinese made items.  La Rue is made in Texas.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 21:13
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Surprise ME -- I had not seen the one with QD levers. New Item   Instinct tells me avoid it like the plague but go ahead and buy one and try it and let us know.  I am quite happy with La Rue mounts actually returning to Zero and I am told by those who have them that the BOBRO also does so quite nicely. There is an old saying when something sounds too good to be true - it probably is.  There are quite a few companies making quick detach mounts. I've tried a few and had them just not hold up to military / Law Enforcement type use but the La Rue and BOBRO will take that kind of abuse.  I would say that if you are a recreational shooter you can go cheap and try it but I have not seen this model or had the opportunity to test the levers. I'm Always a tad leary of Chinese made items.  La Rue is made in Texas.

I don't do any competition shooting at all. I just thought it would be nice to take the scope off if needed or use the open sights from time to time??
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 21:30
No. La Rue mounts for sale on swfa site??
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 19:10
Update

http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-QD-1-Scope-Mount-P48181.aspx

I bought this and a la Rue QD mount to try side by side. As much as I hate to say it I ended up sending the La Rue back. They were the basically the same weight the burris simply functioned better they both returned zero just fine. The levers on burris worked better in every way though and at less than half the price... no brainer.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 14:23
Ohh Rustic, Loco

I am not going to say the PEPR is crap, because I used one for a while and it worked fine.  And in many cases it is all anyone would ever need. 

But they are not as good as a LaRue.  The PERP is pot metal ChiCom produced lower end mount vs the LaRue which is machined out of barstock aluminum and is one of the more durable mounts you can buy.  Nothing about them is equal quality wise. 

You should have tried a Bobro, it is much better than the Pepr and better than teh LaRue
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 14:27
using them side by side for less than a fwe months one could compare them as similar.  Longevity and use will show the winner.  I can see someone not knowing the difference with limited use.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 14:50
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Ohh Rustic, Loco

I am not going to say the PEPR is crap, because I used one for a while and it worked fine.  And in many cases it is all anyone would ever need. 

But they are not as good as a LaRue.  The PERP is pot metal ChiCom produced lower end mount vs the LaRue which is machined out of barstock aluminum and is one of the more durable mounts you can buy.  Nothing about them is equal quality wise. 

You should have tried a Bobro, it is much better than the Pepr and better than teh LaRue

I think I will try the Bobro.
The LaRue just was poor in the fit and finish department I just did not like it.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 15:01
I've found the La Rue mounts are quite nice but I think they're a little hard on the rail. I've only had mine a few months and noticed it starting to mar the rail finish after only a couple of installs/removals.

My Bobro did not need any manual adjustments to install to the rail and is extremely smooth when mounting and removing, no maring. Personally I think it's a better design.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 15:06
Finish I can't complain much about.  I have had 4 LaRues and the anodizing has been great on all mine.  I have never had an issue with fit either.  I do not like how LaRues will wear on the bottom side of hte rail if you take it on and off a lot.

That is where the Bobro really shines vs the LaRue.  They are light years ahead of LaRue in the attachment dept IMO.  LaRue is in need of an upgrade. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 17:18
That's what I mean by finish but probably worded it incorrectly. The La Rue mount is maring the underneath area of the rail that its mounting to. I suspect after awhile and more use it will be more than just leaving marks on the rail. The Bobro doesn't do this and I agree a more advanced product.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 17:36
I was referring to Rustics comment on fit and finish, not what you said Mike.  I started typing mine up before you posted.  

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 17:42
Oh, ha... sorry, reading and replying via my tiny phone screen.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 12:15
Bobro is by far the best out of the three I have tried. The qd on the bobro is flawless... any others used by anyone??
I going to keep the burris as a backup for the price it can't be beat. The bobro is $40 cheaper than the la rue and much much better.

Thanks guys
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 13:13
You have the Bobro too?

When did you get it?
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 19:22
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

You have the Bobro too?

When did you get it?

Yesterday
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 20:38
Fast delivery.
-Matt
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2012 at 20:41
I was thinking the same thing. Big Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic