OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon Accupoint vs. Meopta Meostar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byalongshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon Accupoint vs. Meopta Meostar
    Posted: November/06/2012 at 22:45

Some of you guys have helped me buy scopes in the past. Now I need a new scope, the best scope for low light that sells for less than $1,000. I welcome your advice on two scopes that I have been researching and checking out in my local gun shop.

Which of these scopes gives the best low light performance -- the Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-10x56 or the Meopta Meostar 3-12x56?  The salesman at the gun shop said that they were about equal but he would give the edge to the Trijicon, claiming that for the money it performed better in low light than any other scope.

I am shooting a Remington .270, hunting deer in open bean fields (300-350 yrd. shots max.) and hogs in dark swamps.

I realize these are big, heavy scopes, but that's ok with me. I just need the best so called "light gathering" performance.

Because of the late hour, I may not be able to respond to any posts until tomorrow. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your input.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 23:39
I prefer the Trijicon scopes primarily due to the illumination being fiber optic plus tritium which does not require battery power and is always on ready to go. Trijicon has the best illumination system. If you zero at 200 and understand your trajectory you should have no problem working out to 300 or 350 yds.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 08:20
Trijicon, simply for illumination.   Both will have similar glass but the illumination makes the Trijicon the hands down winner for low light
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 12:13
I am running the 2.5-10x56 Accupoint in mil dot /amber dot on my 280 Ackley

It is a fantastic hunting scope
I run a 250 zero and have a drop chart taped to the stock
Works great for fast action hunting and excels in low light.

Even on my fairly light (6.75lb) rifle it doesn't feel unbalanced shooting offhand.

The top euro scopes have a little better resolution in very low light but we are talking a few moments of shooting time difference.

I would be quite content to hunt with it.
I have a 3-9 and it has been flawless

Haven't tried the Meopta
I have made a few attempts to get scopes to test and review and I can't get any kind of communication with them.
Makes me apprehensive on purchasing one.
Trijicon is the opposite
Great customer service rep and easy to work with.
And they are a US company..
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Byalongshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byalongshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 12:22
Thanks again for the feedback. Sorry for the delayed response.

So far, it seems that most everyone I ask is leaning toward the Trijicon because of the fiber optics. I too was leaning toward the Trijicon. I liked it for a number of reasons: it's made in the USA, lighter and less expensive than the Meopta, and has illuminated crosshairs and great reviews. I was about to buy one until I looked through both of them at a local gun shop. Then it seemed that the Meopta had slightly better resolution and clarity. Plus, I liked the #4 reticle on the first focal pane. It seemed bold enough to give me sufficient sight of the crosshairs in low light. But I still really like the Trijicon.

So now I'm wondering if anyone has compared these two scopes in low light conditions. Which one has better glass? Or are all things pretty much equal in low light except for Trijicon's illuminated crosshairs? I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably just obsessing over trivial differences.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 12:35

Meopta 3-12x56 Meostar R1 30mm Rifle Scope

Stock # - 706590
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 4C
  • 30mm
  • 1st Focal Plane Reticle

here is the #4 with illumination

"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 12:43
I am getting a Kahles Helia 3-12x56 FFP mil dot in tomorrow

Anxious to test it against the Trijion in low light

Also getting a K312 II

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byalongshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 14:39
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

Meopta 3-12x56 Meostar R1 30mm Rifle Scope

Stock # - 706590
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 4C
  • 30mm
  • 1st Focal Plane Reticle

here is the #4 with illumination

Now that is an attractive option but it is at the higher end of my price range. I still need to buy base and rings for this setup and don't want to exceed $1,000.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byalongshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 14:56
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I am running the 2.5-10x56 Accupoint in mil dot /amber dot on my 280 Ackley

It is a fantastic hunting scope
I run a 250 zero and have a drop chart taped to the stock
Works great for fast action hunting and excels in low light.

Even on my fairly light (6.75lb) rifle it doesn't feel unbalanced shooting offhand.

The top euro scopes have a little better resolution in very low light but we are talking a few moments of shooting time difference.

I would be quite content to hunt with it.
I have a 3-9 and it has been flawless

Haven't tried the Meopta
I have made a few attempts to get scopes to test and review and I can't get any kind of communication with them.
Makes me apprehensive on purchasing one.
Trijicon is the opposite
Great customer service rep and easy to work with.
And they are a US company..

Thanks for the good firsthand information.

You're experience with Meopta customer service does give me concern. Plus, I read in another forum discussion that Meopta has issues with quality control.

By saying that the "top euro scopes have a little better resolution," are you including the Meostar in that assessment? In other words do you think the Meostar will have better resolution (enough to really matter)?

I've been hunting with a 4 year-old Kahles 3-10x50 Helia CL, 1" tube, discontinued model. How do you think the Trijicon will compare in low light to my Kahles?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byalongshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 14:59
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I am getting a Kahles Helia 3-12x56 FFP mil dot in tomorrow

Anxious to test it against the Trijion in low light

Also getting a K312 II

Now those test results would be very interesting. I hope that you will post them on this forum.

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 15:48
I hate to tell you this, but the Kahles you have is already better glass than the Trjiicon or
Meopta

I owned the same scope with a 4a Reticle with the multizero and stupidly sold it.

Which Reticle so you have?

Going up to 56mm objective is not going to offset the slightly downgraded glass.

You already own one of the absolute best low light scopes on the market.

If you are losing the Reticle and have a plex, a #4 would help as would a well executed illuminated dot.

You could consider the Kahles KSX I that retails for 1500 and is a 1"

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byalongshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 16:40
[QUOTE=ccoker]I hate to tell you this, but the Kahles you have is already better glass than the Trjiicon or
Meopta

I had a feeling that you might say that. But to be honest I am not completely satisfied with my Kahles. It does have the very fine plex reticle and I am losing it at times, but in addition I have trouble focusing this scope. Granted I'm not accustomed to high end glass and parallax adjustments, and at 53 my eyes aren't what they used to be, but in the middle of the lens at the juncture of the crosshairs, there is a blur or smudge that I can't remove. No matter how much I clean the lens or try to focus, it is still there. Yet, I don't have this problem with any other optic.

Plus, to me, it seems to have a small eyebox -- it's not very forgiving of my head position behind the scope. For this reason, when I've needed to make a quick shot I've lost the target.

Finally, I've missed more deer with this scope than any other. It could be something wrong elsewhere (mount, gun, shooter, etc.). I know I need to spend some time at the range. But I'm losing my confidence in the scope. So it feels like I need a change. Plus, this .270 is a new rifle in box that I've never "scoped" but have owned for 3 years. I've been saving the cash until I could afford something in this price range. My budget, however, can only handle $1,000 at this time.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 16:53
Well, the Accupoint has published eye relief that varies with magnification.
However, when mounted and going from top to bottom and back again I don't find that to be the case.
It seems easy to get behind.

I would look hard at the Z3 4-12x50 BRH

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byalongshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 18:54
The Z3 is an attractive option.

Of the four - Trijicon, Meopta, Kahles, and Swarovski - do you think the Swarovski glass will give the best low light performance?

And in your opinion, is the lower end Swarovski scopes comparable to the higher end Swarovski scopes? Would the Z3 really be that much better than the Trijicon or Meopta?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 19:30
I am testing a Z3 3-10x42 as well

I have tested it into darkness against the Trijicon and my S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42

It holds its own for low light against either
The 4-12x50 should give an ever so slightly better Image in low light at the highest magnification

I can pick up the Reticle fine on deer at past 30 past sundown

I like holdover points so I like the BRH and mildots
A #4 may be even bolder in very very low light.

FYI, I am 47
No eye problems but I can tell my vision for close up things has suffered the last 5 years.

EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 19:38
Ccoker,

How do you like the 2-12 VX6 ?

Is the scope sensitive to eye position like the VX3 4.5-14?

Thanks,

Eagle
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 19:59
The 2-12 is VERY easy to get behind as several have commented
It is a VERY nice scope
I have one for sale in the classifieds
I just didn't like the LR duplex as it did t line up the way I like to run my zeros

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byalongshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 22:02
You have given me something to think about concerning the Z3. But I'm eager to read your test results if you post them. Thanks
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 15:20
I am getting a few Meoptas sent to test..
standby!

had a good chat with John Lara from Meopta today
good guy

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 20:33
I have the 2.5-10X56 Triicon.  Mines mounted on an AR-10 I use for hog hunting. 80-90% of my shots are at night under the full (or close to full) moon. The illumination as others have mentioned, is tough to beat. The glass is pretty good too. I'd say, between VXIII and Conquest. Z3 glass is noticeably better but not illuminated. For me at least, seeing the target isn't much of a problem. Seeing the reticle is, even if it's a #4, heavy duplex, Z-plex  or whatever. The most important factor, is the background. If it's dark colored, it causes the crosshairs to "become invisible"  no matter how good the glass is. Just my opinion. By the way, the phrase "Made in the U.S.A." is misleading. At least SOME of the components including the glass is Japanese made. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic