OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best 3 Gun Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 3 Gun Scope
    Posted: November/06/2012 at 19:51
What is the best 1x-4x power 3 gun scope?
Bullwinkle
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 08:19
Whats your price limit?  Several good ones out there.  SWFA SS 1-4,  Vortex Razor 1-4, ... the list goes on.  Your budget will dictate the best glass you can get into.   Honestly you'll need to spend about double that of the SS to get into better glass though.  Plus there are several SS 1-4's on the samplelist for a steal right now.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bullwinkle511 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 15:25
I started looking at a Nikon Point Blank, then a Burris MTAC, then a Burris XTR.  Was hoping to spend around $500.  All I know from reading is that I need a 1-4 power, with good glass, and a reticle that I can see at speed.  That is all I know.   I am a rookie at 3 Gun, although am rated as a pistol competitor.
Bullwinkle
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 16:51
What is max distance on your local matches?

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 07:43
The SS's on the Samplelist are a hair more than budget but you'd be better off than with others.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 16:58
I think most of the shots will be 100 yards and less , some may go to 200.  i do not know if any will be over 300.  That is why I like having a 1X on the low end.

Is the glass and retical that much better on the SS?  Do you sell or market for SS?
Bullwinkle
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 20:35
1-4 is plenty
You could run a red dot with a 200 yard zero and hold to top of target at 300 and be fine
MTAC is a nice scope
Fast and has holdover points

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 19:00
I am somewhat shy of red dot scopes.  I use them in open pistol competitions and I am slow to spot the red dot.  I know they are getting popular for rifles, but I think I am more accustom to an optic scope with a cross hair.
Bullwinkle
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 19:09
Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA47R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 20:30
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$844.95 
Some Day.... The 1-6 SS
SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD16X24D
  • Matte Black Finish
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Donut (Circle/Mil-Scale)
  • 30mm Tube
  • .10 Mrad, 10 Mils per Rev.
  • HD Model
  • Undercover Turrets
  • Coming soon, accepting pre orders
$999.95   

SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD14X24T
  • Matte Black Finish
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated T (Post/Mil-Scale)
  • 30mm Tube
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
  • Exposed Turrets
$799.95 
And if money is no object:
US Optics 1.5-6x28 SN-4 30mm Riflescope US Optics 1.5-6x28 SN-4 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN4C
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated JNG MIL Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#1 1/10 MIL Slimline Windage Knob
  • Fixed Parallax Control
$1,599.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 20:33
When you say you dont like the dots have you tried the Aimpoint brand dots they are the best and quite a bit better than the rest of the ones out there.  This is quite a nice optic I do like the Compact ACOG better but these are quite good.
Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM12172
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Night Vision Compatible
  • Picatinny Mount Included
  • Spacer Included
  • Killflash Included
  • Bikini cover Included
$789.00

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2012 at 19:33
Wow.  I appreciate the smorgasbord of options.  Lots of different styles and choices.  Lots more money also.  I may have to try some of these fancy holographic scopes to "see" how I "see" with them.  I would hate to buy something and then be trading up within a year, but I do not know if I am ready to jump up from the MTAC yet.  
Bullwinkle
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2012 at 19:49
Good luck with it.  I bought one of thse with the amber triangle and like it a lot but I would prefer the red triangle. Note I am sub moa at 300 yds with a 300 yd zero working off the point of the triangle. This one is used but you save a lot of $ still I think you would prefer the red crosshair model.
SPL17414 Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope DEMO-C
Click to view TA44R2, Matte, Red Triangle
$699.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2012 at 20:27
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2012 at 20:42
I have ran about all of the 1-4s out there in comps, the MTAC is the best bang for your buck.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2012 at 23:18
An amazing amount of knowledge on this website.  I thank you all for the input.  (If you guys could do this for marriages, you would make a fortune.)  I like the price of the MTAC but am intrigued by the red triangle scope.  Getting sub moa at 300 yds with a 300 yd zero working off the point of the triangle is impressive.  
Bullwinkle
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 06:58
some people can the triangle reticle some can't
I am in the latter

I can shoot very accurately with the tip but find I just don't like it overall.
at 1x it's too big for 100 yard plates (for me) and the shape just doesn't work for me

jls28 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jls28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 10:09
Dirty Harry I am having the same issues for an AR

I have it down to the

Leupold VXR Patrol- Simple reticle with enough information for from less than 50 to 300 (my limit on a 223)  or the Zombie with the green vs red dot

Vortex Razor - The PST is hard to make out the subtneds for longer range and the circle is large for CQB  (friend has one on his AR) IT is a little busy but ....

US Optics 1.5 - 6 DFP  best of all worlds but I am going to stop by the factory and look through one before I plunk down that kind of money

If any of you have expierence with any of the above insight is always helpful 

Their are people out there with 8.5X22 on thiers and I think they need a reality check.  My bolt action has a 3.5-15 and I can go as far as the 308 can reasonalby take it (1000 yds) if i call the wind right.  And I ant no yoongster any more,  does 3/4 inches at 200 where it is zeroed.  But back to the topic for and AR.  Any insight will be welcomed

Thanks

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 11:05
1-4 or 1-6 is ideal
let your wallet be your guide!

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 11:23
Here's a couple that may be out of your price range, but they were made for 3-gun, and the 1-6 is getting great reviews.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic