OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rem 700VSF Suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rem 700VSF Suggestions?
    Posted: March/23/2006 at 12:57
Putting together a new rig; R700VSF 308.
Will be using it out to 1000m at 'school' in Arizona.

Was going with Leup VX-III 8.5-25x50mm TMR/Ret. Opinions?
What about rings? Was thinking Badger. Was told to go with the lowest rings possible.

All scope/ring recommendations accepted.

Jim
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2006 at 14:27
If you're going to use a VSF factory stock you're going to have cheekweld issues with any optic if you shoot from a bipod. If possible, at least switch to a pss stock, which gives better head position and a longer LOP, which are both key to long distance accuracy.
You may also want to invest in a good, adjustable strap attach cheekpiece such as one from Blackhawk.

If you are shooting bipod prone, and the 8.5x25 is within your budget, change to the 10X40 MkIVM1, use a badger flat base and low rings.
This will allow you to spend much time behind the rifle without neck fatigue.  Also, do not think that more magnification is a good thing.  Variables have issues that don't belong in a classroom, and 10x gets you targets close and far.
If I were going ot do a variable on a working rifle it would be the old VXIII M1 which I guess is now the MkIV 3.5-10x40 M1.

Stay away from anyones ballistic reticle for distance shooting.  It's not a user tool, it's a marketing/sales tool that's going to cause more frustration than it's worth.  Stay with a mil-dot or moa reticle and understand how they work with the drop table you have, or will have made, during your school.

ps;
the 8.5-25 luppie was the sh*ttiest scope I've ever owned.  Poor glass, too high on the rifle, too heavy, and would not hold zero at all.
abnmp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abnmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2006 at 14:30

I really like leupods m3 bdc's in the mark 4 line. They only give you 1 moa on the elevation adjustment, but you won't get lost dialing it up. Badgers and that rifle are right on.

Cheaptrick is right, that rifle is sexy. Other people bringing that rifle up is not helping me get it out of my head.

Good luck Jim and a big hooahh for America's Guard of Honor.  

82abnnotasniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2006 at 14:55
Thanks for the replies. I made a few calls today and exposed myself as a non-expert in everything other than -16, M4, SAW and 60cal.

Remington has few options to change the stock. HS Prec said the VSF won't fit the HTR or tactical stocks I like. Also a 6-7 month waiting period to receive from them. There are HS' available (territorialsupplies.com) but my abilities at this point don't justify the cost.

The goal here is mil-dot, .308, 500-1500m, 12hrs a day for a week. They prefer TMR reticle and var to 20x. Not sure why at this time but I'm investigating. Was there years ago with former unit but not this training.

Received emails today that hate Lup MrkIV's, like them etc.
Additional comments accepted, solutions to the stock issue also.

Thanks,
Jim
George S. Patton
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 10:53

First the guns that will truely hold accuracy at 1000 yds are few and far between and usually made by Tac Ops or GA Precision

http://www.gaprecision.net/

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/

I have a 8.5-25 illuminated Mark 4 and it is a great scope however the U.S. Optics are probably better and Night Force is a consideration but I dont like the 56mm objective its just to much.  You would find that a 4.5-14 range scope is more than adequate and much more useful at closer ranges which most shots are. The fixed 10x M3 is also a fine choice and I have one of those which I probably use more often than my 8.5-25.  Badger rings and  =20 MOA base.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2006 at 11:02
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

You would find that a 4.5-14 range scope is more than adequate and much more useful at closer ranges which most shots are.

VERY true statement!!

Those "high octane" BR scopes look good on paper, but you have to give up a lot with them.

Lesser FOV overall and mirage is murder on most days at those higher powers.

YMMV of course..... 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2006 at 10:33

LEU60075

Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,279.95
LEU60065 Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
SWFA: $1,379.95
LEU60000 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
SWFA: $1,229.95

The TMR reticle is the best choice and having the illuminated version is worth the extra cost now which model you select really has a lot to do with how it will be used. If it is a Police Tactical scope you want the 4.5-14 because you will need to shoot 75 yds to 200 yds more than any other distance. If it is for a specific military application go with your instructors recomendation. I first bought a 10x M3 scope and later bought the 8.5-25 after being told to buy the 4.5-14, my reasoning being that 8.5 was certainly less than 10x and the 10x works quite nicely so all I was doing was gaining on the high end. I also have a SS 20x and a Mk4 3-9PR and a 4.5-14 VXIII.  After owning all of these my suggestion is buy the 4.5-14 which is what Tac Ops told me. I love the 8.5-25 but if I was going to buy another high dollar scope right now I would look at the Leu Mk4 4.5-14 ill  which has 100MOA internal adjustment.  I would also consider the U.S. Optics SN3  3.2-17x44 with EREK & 35 mm tube its better but is it available?

http://www.usoptics.com/sub_pages/scope_model.php?recordID=3

As for the stock    http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/tactical/ 

And you will need either Tac Ops or GA Precision to put the stock on with glass bedding and do gunsmith work to true the action and probably re barrel it.  Then you will have a 1000 + yard stick. You would be far better off to spend the money on gunsmith work and put on a Super Sniper 10x42M with side focus for $399. than to think that a great scope on a stock rifle will work. If you want a stock rifle to work at those distances buy a Savage in 300 Win Mag or 300 Win Short Mag ( the police guns are .308 ans .223). and it is more likely to be sub MOA out of the box. Savage .308 are 1in 10  twist and Rem are 1 iin 8 so Savage is better for heavier than 168 gr. bullet needed over 800 yds In .308 use th 175 Fed Match in 300 WM use the 190 Fed Match. My Rem 700 PSS with an accuracy job from Impact guns just sucks at even 200 yds but it is starting to get tighter about a 2 inch group yesterday. I want a 1/4 moa gun from Tac Ops. My best guns are two  1/2 MOA Savage 10 FP straight out of the box.   http://www.savagearms.com/10fpmcmillan.htm   Or go all the way and get a GAPrecision

http://www.gaprecision.net/content/riflesavailable.php

GAP 300 Win Mag, AICS, OD Green

• Completely trued Remington 700 long action.
• 26 inch stainless 5R barrel. 1-11 twist. (Contour 1.200\" x 3\" st .900 muzzle) Approx #7.
• Trigger tuned to 2.5 lbs.
• Accuracy International Chassis System Stock, OD Green with 1 5rd Mag
• Badger Ordinance, 20 MOA scope base, oversized recoil lug, and choice of 30mm rings.
• Oversized SSG style bolt knob installed.
• GAP Bolt stop Mod, rifle finished in OD matte Cerakote.
• bedded in Marine-tex.
• Ready to ship, 1/2 MOA Guarentee
Price: $2950

P/N: 300 GAP Price:  $2950

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2006 at 20:27
You have my curiosity aroused.  Is your gun a left hander?  Can't imagine why any Rem700 Short action stock would not be a bolt up to your action if it's right handed.  Any stock other than what you have wopuld be an improvement.

When you get away from 40-42mm glass you will have cheekweld issues, and that is going to kill any chance of consistant shot placement close or far, unless you fit an adjustable stock to your action.

A proper stock fit can do some good things

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 08:49
Nice group!!!! and gun. Something tells me --you would be able to this with just about any set up, given some tweeking on your part.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 09:35
Dale,

I'm a firm believer in learning the basic fundamentals of shooting.  One that cannot be overly stressed is that your gear MUST
fit, whether it's gear you wear, or gear you hold.
When you reach this understanding it's possible to produce some pretty consistant results;

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2006 at 14:03
Good shooting, Mike!! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
82abnnotasniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2006 at 14:02
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied to my VSF questions.
This forum continues to help me make decisions based on the knowledge of the group. Thanks again.

BTW, I decided to stay with the basics: go to the range as often as possible and shoot!, dry fire (because I don't want to), fill my log with everything I see or feel, and keep trying! I also switched to my M15arT for the basics (more rounds, less cost). Trigger pull, position, sighting, BRASS, etc,, Once I've spent an hour or two on the (T), I switch over to the .308 and log everything, CBC, CCBS, and any blank that needs info in the log. Still have not found anyone in South Florida to practice PR with. I'll keep looking.

Anyway to get rid of the wind at the range :)

Jim

George S. Patton
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2006 at 14:28
The wind is your friend................in a love/hate sorta way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic