OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What is the best scope out there

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Castro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best scope out there
    Posted: November/05/2012 at 21:57
I recently just bought a 338 lapua savage the tactical edition. Unfortunately I'm stuck at a crossroads on what brand of scope to buy I'm debating between the Zeis and a night force I'm not too fond of the Schmidt .im not worried about how much I'm going to be spending on the scope. does anyone have any suggestions on what magnification and which brands to consider. I'm wanting to push the rifle to it's limits so taking into consideration shooting at long distances also I'm more prone to finding a scope that is very rugged and durable but the same time having great clarity and glass quality. Suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated thank you.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 22:21
At the price point you are discussing, the features that you want are important. In my opinion, any scope above $1000 is going to be able to have the features that you want. It's just finding features that are important to you.
 If it were my money, I would probably buy a Premier Reticles 5-25x50, with a dual-turn knob. That scope will have 28 mils of usable elevation on a 20 minute rail, and glass that is as good as anybody's.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 22:48
If money is no object & your looking to reach out to  2k yrdsmight want to take a look at the Zeiss Hensoldt line.I have the 4-16x56 & think it's about as good as it gets.

I agree with Billy about the Premier,I own the LT 3-15x50 & I like that glass alot.All Premier glass no matter what model is the same.

You might also want to take a look at the SWFA  SS5-20x50 HD,although not an Alfa it still one hell of a scope.

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 23:05
Heinsoldt the tactical Zeiss.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
MassterMark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassterMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 04:51
March? S&B?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 09:02
There is no consensus answer to your question; opinions vary widely.

All the top brands -- Hensoldt, Premier, S&B, March, possibly Steiner, etc -- make top of the line stuff that someone could make a legitimate claim as the best.

We're talking tactical scopes here, per your question.

I would not place Nightforce in this group, though they are good scopes and certainly ruggedly built.  They don't quite match up optically and feature-wise.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 09:23
Tagged
No one
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 09:51
I have heard the new Kahles is pretty darn sweet.

I really like Vortex' reticles on their Razor HD line.
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 10:09
I also am running the Premier LT, but for the larger caliber you may want the increased magnification range. No question that Hensoldt is the best of the best. I used to love my NF 2.5-10X32. Then after using the Premier a lot I realized how just adequate NF glass is. Sold that scope off with no regrets.
Reaction time is a factor...
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 10:23
Add in Kahles 624i
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 12:07
Originally posted by Castro Castro wrote:

I'm not too fond of the Schmidt .

Just wondering what it is about the S&B that you do not like.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 16:44
Welcome to OT!
+1 Hensoldt
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 17:01
I would be looking here.

http://www.marchscopes.co.uk/

Not rating them as the bestest but the have to be in the betterer category.

I also have never owned one.

I have heard from the Glass Guru that they are the Cats Meow.
No one
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 19:41
And then the TARS from Trijicon should be an interesting scope.
but since it all depends on what price range you are in if you are not spending tons of money look at the Super Sniper scopes.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Castro View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Castro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 19:52
I just don't like them for some reason, buddy had one and I also saw a zeiss right next to it and I think they are overrated. I just have bee having a hard time just buying one cause there are so many options I do want some magnification that would be nice but I still want thadjustment to bad you can't have both worlds. Does zeiss not make anything above a 24x.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 20:04
Have you ever had a 20x or higher power scope?  They get really grey in low light unless the objective is huge.   I'm happiest in the 4-16x power range myself because they are bright in low light.

IOR 36x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope IOR 36x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 364200
  • Matte
  • BR-8 Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$1,124.95 
Leupold has some target scopes up to 45x  Weaver to 36x.  I really think these are too much magnification and best for target shooting only.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 20:07
SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Illuminated Mil Quad SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQI
  • Patented First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,499.95 
SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Castro View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Castro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 20:08
Ya I have a dinky vortex 22 or 24x and I see that now so th magnification you all would suggest when reach in the 1800-2000 yd range would be what, preferably a happy medium between magnification and adjustment
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 20:41
Look at the adjustment in the above 5-20 SS.  That is a lot.
-Matt
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 21:08
I have a SS 5-20 on my 338.  Only shot out to 1500 yards so far.  No issues at all.  Hard to beat for its price range.  If money is no object, then the other scopes suggested are great.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic