OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cabelas 30mm tactical 6-18x50 may be a mistake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabelas 30mm tactical 6-18x50 may be a mistake
    Posted: November/05/2012 at 00:16
Well I was at the store looking for scopes and saw a 4-12x52 cabelas tactical and it looked pretty nice and is was 260.00. Looked at a few others scopes and and nothing jumped out at me in my price range. Anyway as I was walking out to my car I hoped on their site and saw they had a sale on their store rand what I believe to be Alaskan guide 6-18x50sf ext reticle model on sale for 160. Down from a supposed 419.00. They didn't have any in stock so I ordered it. Later on looking at the reviews it was 50/50 hit or miss some said they looked nice but reticle would come loose. I think I may have made a mistake and should cancel the order, maybe go with a bushnell xlt 6-18, vortex crossfire ii 6-18, swift 6-18 or even a vortex diamondback 4-12. I'm just not sure , I've got a 308 varmint rifle and want to be able to shoot out to about 500 yards , just don't have ny experience at that range so a little noobish on scope choice.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 09:30
1. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is. You are better off buying a scope from an optics company that makes and designs rather than from a box store that is re-branding the cheapest thing they can find. 50/50 is not a good review ratio.

2. What is your intended use for this scope. Hunting or Target , Big game or Varmint. Do you really need 18X magnification? Don't waste your money on a scope that is not designed for your intended use.  A scope with 18X magnification will require good glass to produce a clear image. I have not found  in a $60 scope with good glass since the 70s. Prices have escalated a lot since then. So has quality. With high magnification, the first thing magnified by the optic is the defects of the glass and construction.  You can see more detail with a quality low power optic than a cheap optic with a lot of magnification. The number one mistake made by most optic buyers is to much magnification for the intended use.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 09:40
I once owned a Cabelas 3-9x lever evolution scope.  I thought it would be neat to have hold overs set up for my 45-70 in the scope.

That scope had the worst glass I have ever seen in a scope.  I had $30 tascos that looked much better than that one.  The fisheye was horrible.

I have also looked through a lot of the cabelas brand optics in their store.  The only real good ones I have seen are the Euro scopes.  They are made by Meopta and are actually a very good line of scopes.  Other than that I have not been that impressed with their house brand. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
thegoaty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 10:27
There is a rifle range out by me that has gong targets out to 500 yards or so and I want to start doing that   , Also used for hog and critter hunting. I thought adjustable objective would be kind of important at those ranges but im not sure. Maybe the 4-12 voted diamond back would be the best. It has most of the features I want like bdc reticle, zero reset turrets but does not have AO. From what I've read good glass is always better than higher magnification on lower end scope.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 11:10
Whats your budget?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
thegoaty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 12:00
250.00 is my budget
thegoaty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 20:06
I guess I might just wait for it to come in and if I don't like it I think I'm leaning towards a mueller 4-16 tactical or 4-14 apt or a Pentax game seeker 30 4-16.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 20:12
Go with a Votex Viper Viper or Diamondback. Pick your flavor and feel good about your purchase
knowing you have a scope that is backed and guaranteed for ever.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 20:21
More data means more responses.  It is a tough decision get as much feedback as you can learn from others mistakes.

Why so much magnification?

I suggest 3-9 for noobs.

Many people on here could help you pick a scope you will love for the $250-300 price tag.

http://www.samplelist.com/-P60518.aspx

http://www.samplelist.com/-P60587.aspx

http://www.samplelist.com/Meopta-3-9x42-Meopro-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P59198.aspx

A little more dough but a little more scope.

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P58489.aspx

Look here as well

http://swfa.com/Sightron-Closeouts-C4847.aspx

Look for the SII Big Sky.  You really cannot go wrong with any of the above.

No one
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 20:26
Scratch that the Mueller you are looking at the 4-14 comes highly recomended from an A CLASS gentlemen who knows a good scope.

Ernie Bishop has used this out past 500yrds and has done very very very very well.

http://swfa.com/Mueller-45-14x40-All-Purpose-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P44586.aspx

Mueller Tactical Riflescopes

Mueller 4.5-14x40 All Purpose Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - MT451440
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Exposed Target Turrets
  • Fast Focus Eye-Piece
Specifications
Weight (oz): 23

Mil-Dot

Length (in):13.75
Eye Relief (in): 3.25
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 27 - 9
Exit Pupil (mm): 8.8 - 2.8
MOA:1/4
Lens Coating:Fully Multi-Coated
Warranty:Limited Lifetime

Reviews - Average Rating: (based on 3 reviews)

Showing 3 Reviews:

JAS
on 3/13/2012
Great scope! I ordered this scope and a Vortex diamondback at the same time. The diamondback was to go on my Rem 223 and this one was going to be for my 17hmr. The Vortex came in first with this one the next day. I was so impressed with this scope compared to the Vortex I put this on my 223 and sold the Vorte... More
Mike
on 3/27/2011
Great Value I bought this scope when I was on a pretty tight budget. Overall it is a great value. The mildot is accurate. The adjustments are accurate. This scope holds its zero. But if you are looking to shoot long range with this thing, you will need a 20moa base. My only complaint about this scope is th... More
Derek
on 4/8/2010
Great scope As far as a good, reliable scope, this one works great. I wasn't expecting a whole lot for $145, but was very pleasantly surprised... everything on it just works as it should. It holds zero, adjustments are accurate, mil-dots are accurate, and the AO functions properly with accurate markings. T
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic