OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Medium range scope input for 16" AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamnYank! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medium range scope input for 16" AR
    Posted: November/04/2012 at 17:22
I've spent the past few days searching, reading, searching more, reading more here on OT (as well as other forums I frequent).
Some background... I would consider myself an 'ok' shot and am progressively improving. I've been shooting the AR platform for about 6 years, I only get out to the range on average once month (give or take).

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 (BDC reticle) on a Savage 10 Precision Carbine and a Viper 2-7x32 (C3 reticle) on a Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical. I've been pleased with both of them in terms of feature and quality for what I spent.

The rifle I'm optic-hunting for is home built with main components being Mega lower, LMT 2 stg trigger touched up by Bill Springfield, BCM bolt & carrier group, Centurion 16" barrel with midlength gas system, PWS comp/flash hider, a VTAC free float rail, and Knights front and rear micro folding BUIS.

I used the Viper 2-7 on this AR for a bit but find it well suited to my 10/22 and would like something a little nicer and with a hair more magnification for the AR.

I've also already got a PEPR QD mount from Burris in 1" ring size that suits the AR well and I'd like to stick with if I can.

I don't do any hunting, only paper punching at this point at 200yds and under (maybe a pig hunt or something in the future).
I would like to get out to about 500yds or so with this AR.
I am looking in the 2/3x-9/10x variable range and would like to stay at 40 or less for the objective size.
I like some forgiveness in the 'eye box'.
I don't shoot nose to charging handle, but am up pretty close to it.
As for reticle I'd like a balance of precision and lower light visibility. Since most scopes I'm looking at are capped turrets I like the idea of a 'BDC' type reticle if it would actually be useful.
I'd like to keep cost around $400 (some good Zeiss deals on Sample List).

I believe I've narrowed my choices, I'm considering the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, the Minox 3-9x40, and the Vortex Viper 3-9x40 (I am open to suggestions of course).

An OpticsThoughts review on the Minox was encouraging but other reviews have noted its long eye relief can be an issue as well as it not having a very forgiving 'eye box'.
The Viper... I do like the two I have but from what I've read I'm guessing the Minox or Conquest would be a better choice in terms of the quality of the optics.
The Conquest seems to be regarded as the 'go to' choice.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 18:14
I tend to think the Zeiss Conquest would be a fine choice I particularly like the two I have one is a 3-9 plex the other is this and for what you describe I know I would perfer this:
SPL16818 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 5214309972, Matte, Rapid Z 800, 1"
$649.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DamnYank! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamnYank! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 18:33
Ur,
That is definitely a nicely spec'd scope, unfortunately outside my budget for this rifles optic. :(

Any thoughts on the Z 600 reticle on the Zeiss and/or the BDC reticle on the Minox?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 18:39
I have one Minox a 1.5-8 that I am not as satisfied with as my Conquest scopes so I wont recommend the Minox. Any of the Zeiss scopes will be a fine choice some better than others.
I am also quite fond of this scope but its 30mm.
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 18:41
If you must stay one inch tube I also really like this scope:
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DamnYank! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamnYank! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 19:04
Thanks Ur!

I'm not stuck on 1", just wouldn't mind staying ther to avoid selling and rebuking a mount.

I do like the SS and have seen all the rave reviews, did just note a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss with Mildot reticle for 599 on the SL. I know it's not FFP but seems cleaner than the Z 800 reticle. More than I would prefer to spen but I wouldn't have to dish out for a mount...

Decisions... :(
dave1004 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 19:11
Check out the sightron SII sig sky SWFA has on clearance. I just got the 4-16x42, and the glass is very good. The price with the rebate even better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic