OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reticle Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reticle Experience
    Posted: November/04/2012 at 16:41
I am a 60 year old hunter and do not target shoot other that to be sure my guns are properly sighted in at 200 yard zero and I know where to aim at 300 yards.
I own 2 Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 with the CDS dial and 1 with the Boone & Crockett reticle.
I also have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 with the Z-plex.
I have to say that I am happy with all of the above.
Question - I have a NIB .280 Remington that needs a scope. I will probably use it for whitetail in South Texas with shots up to 300 yards. I might also take it Antelope hunting although I already have a .270 which would be fine.
I plan to either buy another VX-3 or Zeiss in the 4.5x14 power.
Would you recommend the CDS, Boone & Crockett, or just plain old Duplex?
The more I shoot, hunt, read reviews and think the more I am leaning towards a Duplex.
A gun sighted in at 200 yards should only be 6" low at 300 yards and that is still in the hair on a deer.

Thanks!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 18:19
SPL16818 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 5214309972, Matte, Rapid Z 800, 1"
$649.95
That all works fine until the deer of a lifetime pops up at 400 yds.  A man should own a rangfinder and if you are comfortable with the CDS system dialing in correction is the most precise means of compensating for trajectory and wind.    It also may help to now that custom engraved knobs to compensate for trajectory can be  had from Kenton Industries for a variety of scopes including the Zeiss target knobs.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 18:35
For shots out to 300 I agree with you on the duplex.  The Leupold duplex is a little thicker (the thin wires), than the Conquest duplex so I'd pick the VX3. No dots, hashes, or dials necessary for this application.  I routinely sight in my rifles with no CDS 3" high at 100.  MPBR is 345 yards with my 7mag, dead on at about 265.  As you said, hold on hair, not air all day long.  I've probably killed almost 60 deer with this setup.  
snuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 18:50
Thanks to all!
snuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 18:52
What is MPBR?
I can't remember off hand.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 19:34
Maximum Point Blank Range.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic