OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Line vs Swaro Line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Line vs Swaro Line
    Posted: November/03/2012 at 15:28
Hey its been a while since I posted. Just logged on today to give a little input to those newbies who lurk on this site and to those who've been here a while thinking of purchasing either of these scopes. By no means am I am millionaire know it all nor am I a paid spokesman or endorser for anybody. I'm just an ordinary Joe that happens to have hunted quite a bit across North America and I do live and hunt in a state that allows us to hunt 1 hour past dark. I've been lucky enough to buy several types of scopes "before I got married" & a few after I got married, although she has little idea of the cost.

That being said I come here a lot and people ask me personally a lot about Zeiss vs Swaro or mainly the questions I'm getting the most is about Zeiss vs this or that. It seems to be a lot of confusion as to what rivals what. These are my humble but strong opinions about these 2 lines.

Zeiss has 3 lines of scopes. Consider them as similar to a car makers line up of V8, V10 & V12. Naturally with each engine you're going to get more power and performance which will be at a higher cost. 

The Conquest line is the V8 line up for Zeiss. The Conquest line was designed to rival and surpass Leupold, Nikon & Burris family of scopes falling into the 400-900$ range. The Conquest line IS NOT, I repeat is not and was not designed to rival the Swarovski Z3 or Z5 lines or anything from S&B. The Conquest line of scopes are made in Germany but assembled in Virginia & they do NOT have the same coatings as the Diavari FL line.

Next the V10 line of scopes. Zeiss saw that thousands of American hunters were willing to buy Swaro Z3s in the 1,100-1,300 dollar range. So they created the Conquest Duralyt line of scopes with a price range of about 1,200 dollars, the 3x12-50 rivals the Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 in performance.

Last is the Zeiss flagship V12 models in the Diavari, FL or Victory models. These are the top of the line make no compromise Zeiss scopes totally made in Germany with crazy resolution & coatings. Anything you see with Diavari, FL or Victory is a direct competitor to the Swaro Z5 & Z6 lines. 

IMO Swarovski makes a V10 & V12 line up. The Z3s are fabulous scopes with better glass & coatings than the ordinary Conquest scopes. The V12s for Swaro is the Z5 & Z6s, the Z5 with 52mm glass is for long range shooting in a 1 inch scope. The Z6s are 30 mm tubes for everything in between.

I personally like Zeiss better for hunting in low light. If you're in a situation where you can hunt 30 minutes past sun set in low light and have 400-900 to spend get a Conquest. It's my personal opinion after using a lot of scopes in low light. The Conquest line is brighter & has better resolution than any Leupold or Nikon currently on the market for roughly the same price. If you have 1100-1300 to spend looking for low light performance get a Duralyt Illuminated. I give the edge to Swaro when it comes to long range shooting, the Z5 with its field of view and the Z6 3-18 is just crazy!!!! Both brands are fabulous & have everything any hunter could ever want in a rifle scope.

Hope this helps.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 16:21
Bow
No one
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 16:41
I don't know of to many car manufacturers that make v-8s v-10s and v-12s in their lineup. ;)
De_Tomaso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De_Tomaso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 11:40

I think that this perspective is too much based on US market lineup and does not show the entire truth.

European perspective about this two brands is a follows.

Swarovski has a lineup like this

Z3 - mainly for US market

Z4i - rivals: Zeiss Victory HT, SB Zenith, Kahles CSX...

Z5 -  mainly for US market

Z6/Z6i - at the moment only Leica Magnus is the direct competitor and Z6i dominates EU market (100000 pieces sold in last 4 years)

Zeiss Lineup:

Conquest - sold only in US to compete with local and Japanies products

Duralyt - made primarily for EU market to compete with Japanies and bottom end EU scopes (Docter, Kaps, Meopta, S&B Klassik...)

Classik - will be passed out in next 2 years

Victory HT - made to compete with 4x zoom EU scopes and to offer best low light capabilities (Nr. 1 demand of European hunters)

Victory Varipoint iC -  only meant for Blaser users and will be replaced with something like HT iC in next years

Victory FL - made for sport shooter and not directly for hunters (in EU a lot of people hunts with sport riflescopes but in other countries this is not the case)

The only real competition between Zeiss and Swarovski at the moment is Victory HT vs Z4i. Other classes are well separated between this two companies. The Z3 fits between Conquest and Duralyt, the Z5 has no competitor from Zeiss and Z6i offers 6x zoom and  is more expensive than any Zeiss.

Things will change however. Next year on IWA we will some interesting products from Zeiss. Cool

MassterMark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassterMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 05:02
must be true from tommaso, but opticaly (clearance) Zeiss says that HT line is 4-5 years ahead from the competition.
but main disatvantage at HT & other victory line i see at low zoom. i would like to have at least 12× on my 50mm HT.
De_Tomaso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De_Tomaso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 08:54

I tested the following scopes in low light in comparison:

Victory HT 3-12x56

Kahles CSX 3-12x56 mz

Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x56

S&B Zenith FD 2.5-10x56

Docter Basic 3-12x56

Kaps TLB 3-12x56

Victory HT wins hands down on low light performance but the difference is not huge. Kahles is also close. Others are very similar and a little behind. The difference is about 15 minutes of longer visibility between the best and the worst.  

Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2012 at 23:40
Interesting... 

De_Tomaso do you have any idea about which zoom ranges will Zeiss introduce next on their HT Line???

I have had several zeiss scopes and I am impressed with their low light capability.. but I am not very satisfied with the zoom ranges, swarovskis Z6 3-18, is the  ideal hunting scope for me but I think its not as bright in low light as Zeiss victory 56mm scopes..... 

By the way I have a Zeiss 6-24x56mm Victory, and I wonderwhat difference is there against the same scope with the FL glass?? do you suggest to upgrade it now or wait until they release the next victory HT long range scopes line?????  do you have any idea about what will they release???

I have a Swaro Z6i 5-30x50mm, and comparing it with the victory 6-24x56, zeiss is better in low light/ darkness is this a matter of objective diameter ?? or just the glass??

De_Tomaso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De_Tomaso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 13:01

I know some details about new scopes from Zeiss that will be presented at IWA 2013 but I think it is best for me to keep it silent. When I was at the Factory and they shared some information it was not intended that this information would circle around.

However I think that new Zeiss scopes will not outperform the current HT line in low light. Scopes with 4x zoom have less lenses in their construction and more light goes through them. The typical example of this is the fact that Z4i scopes are brighter than Z6i. This is also one of the reasons that Victory 6-24x56 is brighter than Z6i 5-30x50. Lens lenses in the construction, bigger diameter, different glass.... and it is hard to tell what is most important. 

Regarding the upgrade from Victory to Victory FL I would not wait since the FL has one of the best glass in the market. If you are looking for good glass only.

coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 23:59
All of the zeiss and swaro products all are top notch, but for $900 as the OP suggested I would not buy a conquest. Rather I would try to find the discontinued Burris six x. Better low light, storm coat 2-12, heavy bush to 600 yds. I have one, and have been out in the rain and very low light. They are very bright even an hour after legal light, and the storm coat just blew away the rain. I don't know why they quit building them for north american market. I see them as a great lower price option to the Z6. Less but not that much less than the swaro for 2/3 less price, but better than the conquest for the same money. Don't even get me started on the incredible eye relief.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 00:34
OWK,you mentyiond Zeiss having three levels of scopes but there are actually four,a V16 if you will & that is the Hensoldt line.I realize it is not cosidered a hunting scope but I do use it to hunt.Matter a fact I gave up my 4-16 Fl & a Z6I for it & have never been sorry or disappointed.The glass on the Fl is very close to the Henny but the FOV on the Henny is the best in the business.

I will say this though, I would take my Premier as the best glass out there at least to my amateur testing.This may stir the pot a little but it's not ment too.Just saying Get Your Popcorn Ready
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2012 at 12:01
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

I will say this though, I would take my Premier as the best glass out there at least to my amateur testing.This may stir the pot a little but it's not ment too.Just saying Get Your Popcorn Ready
Funny, I was going to say the same thing. I've owned both Zeiss and Swaro products and think they're great. But I went with two Premier scopes because I got the German glass and target turrets for a much more reasonable price. The elevation, magnification range (3-15) and weight of the LT make it a perfect complement to a .308. I'd take a Hensoldt though if someone got tired of it.
Reaction time is a factor...
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2012 at 05:13
Roll on Floor LaughingLaugh Above
Jono,I gave up my LT in favor of the Premier Hunter illum.less to fool with in hunting situations in my neck of the woods....200yrd shots within  all trees.Did like the turrets better on the LT!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
De_Tomaso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De_Tomaso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2012 at 08:18

Hensoldt is not owned by Zeiss anymore, they will however still be produced at the second floor of Zeiss factory in Wetzlar for some time. 

meadra View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meadra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 00:32

I am from Alabama and new to the forum, but own both Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 and Zeiss Duralyte 3-12x50. To put this in simple terms, the Swarovski is a great scope but the Zeiss is brighter and more versatile adjusting magnification with the 30mm tube. for the money I personally believe the Zeiss is better. I do not have a Z5 or Z6, but the Zeiss is hands down better in low light. Everyone's eyes are different and I would advise looking through both at dusk or dawn. I will say for a fact there is not a $400 difference.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 07:29
Welcome to OT, meadra!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2013 at 13:53
I think that the basis of competition has been altered and raised by the entry of the German Assembled Hd5 Conquest into the consumer rifle scope market.  I just bought one, an Hd5 3-12x42 Zeiss about a two weeks ago ad have had it mounted for a few days on a rifle.  I have started doing some comparisons with eye charts and Air Force resolution chats to get a fix on the Hd5 versus my older Swarovski AH, Conquest and Zeiss Diavari V/VM scopes.  So far the Hd5 Conquest's clarity and contrast are approaching the Swarovski Z-3 and are running just behind the Diavari V Zeiss Victory.

I have not seen much written evaluations on this new line of scopes since they started selling retail a few weeks ago.  I would like to have others objective opinions of this scope by some of the experts on this forum.  I have also noticed that a new Conquest 3.5-10x44 has gone up a notch in optical performance lately as a result of the Zeiss scope lineup of recent product mix changes.  Or maybe I just got a good one?
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic