OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Z3...or keep Zeiss ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski Z3...or keep Zeiss ?
    Posted: November/03/2012 at 00:06
after many glowing reviews on the Conquest i purchased one recently..a 3-9x40......got it in and looked through it ..looks good....only thing im really annoyed with is if your eyes are not lined up perfect in the eyebox it blinks and goes black....very annoying...anyways ive got money saved up and i was told for better low light performance than the zeiss get a swaro z3.....i went to a gun shop recently and looked through it and it certainly is more pleasing to look through than my Conquest......of course it was indoors so i havent tested it for lowlight...but i just liked the look and feel of the z3...very light....sleek....great clarity...it was the 3-10x42

im highly tempted to purchase one of these ...BUT the tightwad in me is saying just use the zeiss and save the extra cash.......but i dont wanna cheap out if the Swaros perform a good bit better in low light conditions........any suggestions from Z3 or conquest owners ???
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 07:07
I own three of the Swaros and only one Conquest. I'll take the Swaros any day ... but my Conquest has been flawless too. I guess it comes down to personal preference and $ outlay. Good luck. I'm sure either will perform as expected. BTW, welcome to the forum!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 07:54
which swaros do u own??  i was looking at the 3-10x42 Z3...just looked incredible when i looked through it....hows the eye relief on the swaro??    and is any extra lowlight they provide over the Zeiss Conquest worth the extra cash?  cuz im real close to purchasing the Swaro
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 09:01
Tagged.
No one
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 10:25
The Z3s and Conquests I have looked through, I like the Z3 a little better optically.  But it is hard to beet the price of the Conquest for the optical performance you get.  I do believe personally the Z3 is a step up, but it depends on your budget.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 13:04
Originally posted by Robster80 Robster80 wrote:

after many glowing reviews on the Conquest i purchased one recently..a 3-9x40......got it in and looked through it ..looks good....only thing im really annoyed with is if your eyes are not lined up perfect in the eyebox it blinks and goes black....very annoying...

When you looked through it was it mounted on a rifle?
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 13:09
No it wasnt mounted on a rifle. Was just a display
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 13:13
You won't see that much difference in optical performance between the two, at least I didn't between my SwaroA (z3) and my Conquests.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 14:20

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

after many glowing reviews on the Conquest i purchased one recently..a 3-9x40......got it in and looked through it ..looks good....only thing im really annoyed with is if your eyes are not lined up perfect in the eyebox it blinks and goes black....very annoying...

When you looked through it was it mounted on a rifle?

No it wasnt mounted on a rifle. Was just a display

This is what I thought maybe the case. Once you have it mounted on a rifle you should have no problems with it. I have experienced that same thing with a number of scopes and once they were mounted I had no issues what so ever. It is hard to keep the scope lined up with your eye by just holding it.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 14:27
O u mean the cOnquest? I gotcha. I need to slap it on the rifle then and see. Was pretty annoyed when i looked through it
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 14:39

which swaros do u own??  i was looking at the 3-10x42 Z3...just looked incredible when i looked through it....hows the eye relief on the swaro??    and is any extra lowlight they provide over the Zeiss Conquest worth the extra cash?  cuz im real close to purchasing the Swaro

I have one 3-9 X 36 and two 3-10 X 42 Swaros. The 3-10 X 42 is my favorite all purpose scope. The ER is fine, and the low light usage great. I would highly recommend it.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 16:30
I have the 4-12X50 Z3 and love it. Very forgiving eyebox and sufficient 3 1/2 inches of eye relief.

I used to own the Conquest 3-9X40 and it was really easy to get behind, in my opinion. It also had a seemingly monsterous 4 inches of eye relief.

If you can afford it, the z3 is a gem of a scope, but I think if you get the Conquest mounted, I think you won't have problems with blackouts.
-Matt
BlackSox16 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackSox16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 07:45
FWIW-How the size/weight of a particular scope, fits with the rifle is something to consider...some scopes just seem made for certain rifles.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 09:17
I have both the 3-9X40 Conquest as well as Swaro 3-9X36 and 3-10X42 Z3, and I concur with the above comments.  In absolute terms, the Swaros are optically superior to the Conquest, but not by a huge margin.  One other thing the Swaro Z3's have going for them is they are a couple oz lighter and about an inch shorter than Conquest -- comparing similar power models.  Only you can decide if the optical performance and weight & size differences are worth the considerable price difference. 

It's hard to beat the price to performance ratio the Conquest series offers.

The guys are correct in saying once you mount your scope to a rifle, you shouldn't have any issues with the eyebox, because the rifle's buttstock forces your eye into proper alignment with the scope.  My 3-9X40 Conquest is mounted on my most frequently used deer rifles, and I can assure you I wouldn't have that scope on that rifle if the eye box was unforgiving.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 09:27
The gun im using is a remington .270       Really loved the swaro after lookin thro it but if its not toooo much difference in lowlight then i guess theres no need to spend the extra cash.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 09:46
What is low light to you?  Are you talking legal hunting low light as in 1/2 hour before or after sunset?  Or you are talking very low light hog or yote hunting?  If you are using it for very low light, the Swaro very well might be a slight advantage.  But for the typical legal big game hunting rules its not likely to much much difference. 

Really any scope over $200 these days and probably many below that will offer enough in low light for the typical legal hunting rules. 

On the other hand nothing is at all wrong with just wanted a very good quality scope.  I have a Swaro s6 and absolutely love using it.  It is just a joy to look though. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 10:11
Mostly deer hunting. Half hour after sunset or so. Just want the best i can get. A buck came out last year and when he got into the field i lost him in my scope. Could see him in my monarch binoculars but my nikon prostaff scope i cldnt see him at all. Dont wanna b n that sitaution again. If the zeiss conquest 3-9x40 is good enough ill stick with it but if that swaro will be a decent noticeable difference id consider spending the extra cash for sure
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 11:19
The determining factor for me was the light weight and compact size of the z3 for my purchase.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 11:36

Mostly deer hunting. Half hour after sunset or so. Just want the best i can get. A buck came out last year and when he got into the field i lost him in my scope. Could see him in my monarch binoculars but my nikon prostaff scope i cldnt see him at all. Dont wanna b n that sitaution again. If the zeiss conquest 3-9x40 is good enough ill stick with it but if that swaro will be a decent noticeable difference id consider spending the extra cash for sure

based on this, you'll probably have no problems at all with the conquest.  the one problem i have with my 3-9x40 was the eye relief was actually a little too long.  one day, when i have a grand to blow, i'll replace my conquest with a z3, but not because of any shortcoming of the conquest, simply because i want one :D
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 11:46
Yea i would say its a bit too much eye relief. I like getting a little closer to the eyebox than the conquest allows me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic