OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Option In a 4-14 Under $600.00

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapshot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Option In a 4-14 Under $600.00
    Posted: November/01/2012 at 23:29
I am in need of a scope for my newly purchased AR15. This is a very specialized version for long range target shooting, and especially for a lot of planned coyote hunting. I am trying to identify my best option in a 4-14 class variable scope in the $600.00 and under range. Obviously, sharpness, clarity, reliability and low light capability are key.

Scopes I have been considering are:

Burris 4-14x42 MTAC
Bushnell Elite Tactical 5-15x40
Hawke Side Winder Tactical 4.5-14x42
Meopta Meopro4-12x50
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 x44

I was also considering the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 but at $694.00, that would be a financial stretch. If it was truly a great value in comparison to the others, I would probably make that move though.

In a perfect world, I would just order up a SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope and be done, based on all I've read here about it. However, it's not a perfect world, my department is being outsourced, and my last paycheck comes at the end of December. Add to that a situation where finding a new position is pretty unlikely, and obviously I have financial limitations on what I can afford to spend here. 

I would greatly appreciate your expertise and recommendations on the best scope within the range I can afford. I'll have plenty of time to shoot coyotes with it for many years to come. Thanks in advance.

Slapshot1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapshot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 00:48
No comments?
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 01:18
I do not own this scope, but given your current financial situation, and the huge closeout discount from sightron I would suggest you take a look at this one, don't let the price fool you, according to the reviews here, which I suggest you read, it is a far better scope than at least 4 of the 6 scopes you have listed.
 http://swfa.com/Sightron-45-14x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9165.aspx

You might find this thread interesting...
http://www.opticstalk.com/sightron-close-out-scopes-4514-416-big-sky-sii_topic34417.html
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 01:25
I like my 4.5-14 Conquest. I also have and like a 4.5-14 Burris FFII Ballistic plex. Both have equally crisp image. Neither is mounted on an AR.   Using the Ballastic plex I was able to drop a coyote at 500 yds on first shot with a .223 bolt rifle. I prefer the target turrets for long range target on the Conquest.
It gets quiet in here on the weekends during deer season. Shocked
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 06:35
Welcome to this forum.  Wolverine.  I live in the Buckeye state. 

If it helps I like your Call Sign and I do consider myself a  Detroit Redwings fan.  While I haven't thrown a squid or octopus yet.  Gordie Howe man they just don't make em like they used to.

Even though you are across the Line I will still talk to you. 

I do not really care who wins the border battle.

Ok so here goes. 

It is simple I have come to respect Sightron SII Big Sky and Sightron SIII, I cannot talk about the SI or SII lineup as I do not own any.

I do own still own some Zeiss product the Zeiss Conquest and Zeiss Victory Diavari scopes.

I believe the Conquest line (the budget 1" tube line) to still edge out by a smidge the Sightron.

If I were talking value and performance I believe the Sightron Big Sky SII would be the best scope you could choose.

I can share this bit of info while I haven't lost my job as you are (which I hope not to as their is still a chance) I have taken huge financial losses over the last say 5 years.  I have in the last 2 years lost 30% of my income and have needed extensive house repairs, my children have special needs and money just isn't making it as far. 

When it came down to it, I had to start selling most of my collection along with this came replacing most every scope I own (most scopes were worth more than what they sat on) Hensoldt, S&B, Swaro and Zeiss , I do not share this in trying to brag or glorify myself I share this in a compassionate spirit.  I was blessed ever getting to own those pieces of glass and rifles I know that now and probably should have tucked that money away.  I have however come to 1 conclusion while the mentioned scopes have features that I will never be able to replace, I can live with their replacements and not loose out on visual performance to a significant degree.

I know that the Sightron was never on my radar until it was pointed out to me on this forum The Optics Talk OT contributors were more than patient with me on this. 

I still remember looking through a Sightron (probably 1st 2nd generation SI) and thinking eeugh, yuck, crap glass, junk scope.  I think I compared it to frozen spit.  My opinions have changed with the SII Big Sky and the SIII series.

I might get up on a soap box about them too much in fact but I know that they are very respectable and will not let you down.  Strictly speaking about the value they are the only hat I would throw in the ring that says buy me and I will save you money.

Its pretty simple with the Sightron You pay (SWFA) $380 they ship you your new scope and when you get it, you register it for the warranty on-line or send in the warranty card along with the rebate form and the UPC off the box and they send you $100 in 3 months for a product that used to sell for $600 right in your target price range.  I might add LIFETIME repair or replacement.  Not using this warranty is really what I like about them they are built solid and very robust.  Maybe not Drive a nail robust like Nightforce claims but I have a hammer or shovel for that.

BACK ON TOPIC (a little).

I would still mention the Sightron if you were dead bent on spending $600 I would put Zeiss first Meopta second. 

I know that the Bushnell Tactical you mentioned has done well also but the price point is much much higher.

Lets ask a question I maybe should have started with.

What is your distance?  Bullet weight?  Muzzle Velocity?

Do you know how many Mils or MOA you will need out of the scope? 

Do you know what bases are available to get more Mils/ MOA?

Is this 1000yrd long distance specialty shooting?

If you do not know the questions to the above just ask and you will receive much help an insight.

You might want to look at available Mils/MOA elevation.

Sightron might not have the elevation needed.

The SII BS (Big Sky) 4-16x has 80MOA (83 actual) and the 4.5-14x has 60MOA (62 actual).

Will this be enough for you???

Hope to hear back from you.

No one
Slapshot1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapshot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 13:17
First of all, thanks to everyone for their input, 338LAPUASLAP  especially. Your information has really been helpful, and is greatly appreciated. The Sightron looks to be a remarkable value, and is rapidly moving to the top of the list of those I am considering based on what you and others have commented on.

To answer the questions yuou posed:
What is your distance? Bullet weight? Muzzle Velocity?

The average shot on coyotes in Michigan is around 100 yards, however, they can vary from 30-300. From hunters with expertise here, it appears that more and more, they seem to be concentrated near farms and longer shots across fields are now much more common.

The prime season for shooting yotes (if you want quality pelts) is late November to mid March. It's almost always windy here, in those months, and for that reason, we have been advised we will see significantly better accuracy shooting .223 bullets in the 69-70 grain bullets vs the standard 55 grains (due to both increased weight and much more ft lbs of energy at 200 yards and out).

Muzzle velocity

3000-3200

Do you know how many Mils or MOA you will need out of the scope?

Dont know enough to answer this

Do you know what bases are available to get more Mils/ MOA?

Was planning on using the Burris P.E.P.R. mount, I don't believe we will be shooting at distances requiring this. Correct?

Is this 1000yrd long distance specialty shooting?

No
Slapshot1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapshot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 13:30
I also noticd this scope from Sightron, in the same series:

I really like the Hunter Holdover Reticle, and wouldnt mind the additional boost to 16x, but its only $50.00 off, which places it at a hundred more than the one recommended after rebates.

And one additional coment on scope magnification, in case you wondered given my information on distances we would be shooting. Initially, my plan was for something in the 2.5x10 range, which would normally have been more than suficient for the shooting we plan to do. However, I had emergency cryosurgery surgery last spring on my right (dominant eye) due to a tear in my retina, and then a second surgery three weeks later. I am now fully recovered, but I have recently realized that my distance vision is somewhat compromised. Based on comments from some other local hunters whose vision is less than it once was, they all seemed to feel that a 4-14 or 4-16 was what they needed to most effectively compensate.

I may have a better feel for this next weekend when a friend and I will be making the lengthy drive to Cabela's. Asdie from purchasing some boots and other things, it will give me a chance to compare different magnification ranges of scopes with my own eye, to help clarify matters.

Either way, a Sightron appears likely to fill the bill.
Slapshot1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapshot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 13:39
Oops, just realized the scope I linked above is a Sightron SII, but not from the Big Sky Series. Looks like my choices would be limited to the standard reticle, and only in silver if I wanted the 4-16:

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 14:46
http://swfa.com/Sightron-Closeouts-C4847.aspx

I think you have some choices from the 4.5-14 to the 3-10 to the 4-16.

You could wrap it in camo cloth tape or scope coat  if you had to have the extra 2 power.

For the distances you are talking any scope will do it.  No special base necessary you are shooting in withing very normal parameters.

No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 14:52
I actually am thinking for the best overall even though it has a little less magnification than you wanted it will be a much brighter scope in low light conditions.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-35-10x50-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9160.aspx

Sightron SII Big Sky Riflescopes

Sightron 3.5-10x50 SII Big Sky Riflescope
Stock # - SIIB351050
  • CLOSEOUT PRICE
  • Was $496.95 Now $359.95
  • $259.95 After Rebate!
  • Specifications
    Weight (oz): 15.2

Plex

Length (in):13.54
    Eye Relief (in): 3.9 - 3.8
    Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 28.4 - 10
    MOA:1/4
    Lens Coating:Fully Multi-Coated

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SII-Series---Big-Sky/SIIB351050/

4x might and I mean might be to much magnification a typical hunting scope for the type you are talking is 3-9x or less.  Some hunters are going to 2 power low. 

I like the 50mm as it will really help with light gathering I know it is not the easiest to see around.

If you like the 4-14 range try this one

http://swfa.com/Sightron-45-14x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9165.aspx

Sightron SII Big Sky Riflescopes

Sightron 4.5-14x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
    Stock # - SIIB451442
    • Matte
    • Plex
    • 1"
    • Adjustable Objective
    • Target Knobs
    • Mail-In $100 Rebate
    • CLOSEOUT PRICE
    • Was $605.95 Now $379.95
    • $279.95 After Rebate!
    Specifications
    Weight (oz): 16.6

Plex

Length (in):12.8
    Eye Relief (in): 3.9 - 3.8
    Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 21.8 - 7
    MOA:1/4
    Parallax Adjustment (yds):10 - infinity
    Lens Coating:Fully Multi-Coated

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SII-Series---Big-Sky/SIIB451442/

This scope has a little taller knob if you will they are not as sleek as the ones on the 3-10.  They both will work for you.

No one
    Slapshot1 View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapshot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 23:44
    Again, thanks for your help with this 338LAPUASLAP. I agree that the 3.5-10x50 is likely my best option, and as noted, the light gathering ability is very important. I would already have ordered this except that I just don't want that reticle, BDC type, great, mildot, also great, just not that one.

Still, the great deal on it, getting a quality scope that went for $500.00 for $279.00 may force my hand and I may just have to live with the unwanted reticle. My brother just grabbed a deal on a really, really nice Burris Six X series 2-12x50, with an excellent ballistic plex reticle, and I'd love to have the 2 power at the lower end, but it cost twice what the deal on the Sightron does and its hard to justify in my circumstances.
    SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
    Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 08:16
    If you want the sightron deal you better not wait to long, some models are already sold out and won't be availible again at those prices.
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
    Slapshot1 View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapshot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 12:31
    I was set to go with the great recommended deal on the Sightron:

However, after a lot more research and thought, and the spectacular reviews, and even though I am giving up a little magification, the SWFA SS 3-9x42 really has me interested.  I love the reticle, and think it should be great for targets as well as coyotes, and nothing but raves about it being the best scope at $1000.00 or under.
    Any reason I shouldnt pull the trigger on this one?
    Optics Master
    Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2012 at 21:45
    NO

NONE

GET IT.

Don't look back.

You will have enough adjustment to get you to the neighboring counties.

Get the MQ reticle you will love it.

Talk to Skylar @ SWFA, he will tell you the truth about this scope.

No one
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic